378Pete

Replacing a k91 with an electric start engine

378Pete

My daughter and I have been doing some thinking on the 1960 suburban restoration. We have a really nice running k91 that is original to the tractor but she wants electric start. We are not to concerned about keeping original. Can the k91 be converted to an electric start or is there a small electric start engine available that would fit without hacking the hood? 

AMC RULES

I know on occasion, I've seen electric start K91's show up on ebay...

so, if you're patient, they are out there...but not cheap.

I remember two seperate members here, fireman, and formariz who have both completed these conversions in the past. 

You can check out Jeff's (fireman) tractor here...

...and Cas'(formariz)conversion here.

Good luck with your :wh: endeavor. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

378Pete
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

I know on occasion, I've seen electric start K91's show up on ebay...

so, if you're patient, they are out there...but not cheap.

I remember two seperate members here, fireman, and formariz who have both completed these conversions in the past. 

You can check out Jeff's (fireman) tractor here...

...and Cas'(formariz)conversion here.

Good luck with your :wh: endeavor. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wow that is pretty wild. I am sure that is big money! The 550 and 551 had electric start and from what I hear the engines cost a fortune. But I do have an old 8hp Kohler with the starter-generator set up I just think it's to big for the space. I wonder if someone has used a harbour freight engine in a suburban?

AMC RULES

I don't know...pretty sure it'll fit...  :confusion-shrug:

here is KenB's roundhood he successfully stuffed an 8hp Kohler into. 

• Like 1

slammer302

most any cheap electric start 5.5 or 6.5hp clone motor should fit with not much work i have a suburban with a harbor freight 212 and a RJ with a Briggs 205cc and they fit using the same mounting holes neither are electric start but are very easy to pull start but i am pretty sure you can get a electric start model but it will cost a premium almost double the cost of a pull start if i had to guess  

I just checked ebay and their is a 6.5hp clone engine with electric start for 179.00 with free shipping. Thats cheaper then i thought they would be but still 79$ more for electric stsrt    

Edited by slammer302
  • Like 1

378Pete
3 hours ago, slammer302 said:

most any cheap electric start 5.5 or 6.5hp clone motor should fit with not much work i have a suburban with a harbor freight 212 and a RJ with a Briggs 205cc and they fit using the same mounting holes neither are electric start but are very easy to pull start but i am pretty sure you can get a electric start model but it will cost a premium almost double the cost of a pull start if i had to guess  

I just checked ebay and their is a 6.5hp clone engine with electric start for 179.00 with free shipping. Thats cheaper then i thought they would be but still 79$ more for electric stsrt    

I was actually just looking at those. I just want something that she can start easily and is fairly simple. I have no problems starting the k91 but Abby just can't pull start it. One of my big concerns is reusing the belt guard and not hacking the tractor up. Thanks for the input guys. 

4 hours ago, slammer302 said:

I was actually just looking at those. I just want something that she can start easily and is fairly simple. I have no problems starting the k91 but Abby just can't pull start it. One of my big concerns is reusing the belt guard and not hacking the tractor up. Thanks for the input guys. 

378Pete
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

I don't know...pretty sure it'll fit...  :confusion-shrug:

here is KenB's roundhood he successfully stuffed an 8hp Kohler into. 

The 8hp I have has the starter generator on it so that may not work. You have no idea how helpful your suggestions have been. I almost feel lazy. I tried looking for repowered suburbans for days and your firing them out in minutes. Great selections of ideas to think about. Thank you

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

formariz

Some of my personal stash, never fired yet.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

slammer302
11 hours ago, 69chargerv8 said:

I,ve used the clone motors and belt guard fits with no mods and motor bolts up with no mods to the frame but you have to remove the gas tank from the clone motor and make ur own exhaust

Edited by slammer302

378Pete
4 hours ago, slammer302 said:

I,ve used the clone motors and belt guard fits with no mods and motor bolts up with no mods to the frame but you have to remove the gas tank from the clone motor and make ur own exhaust

Do you happen to have a model #?

11 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

That's what I was thinking about doing with the k91. If I could fab the starter generator from the 8hp I have. But honestly I think its above my technical abilities and time restraints. 

4 hours ago, formariz said:

Some of my personal stash, never fired yet.

image.jpeg

Amazing! Very very cool

slammer302

Predator 212 from harbor freight  

formariz
On 1/1/2016 at 6:16 PM, 69chargerv8 said:

My daughter and I have been doing some thinking on the 1960 suburban restoration. We have a really nice running k91 that is original to the tractor but she wants electric start. We are not to concerned about keeping original. Can the k91 be converted to an electric start or is there a small electric start engine available that would fit without hacking the hood? 

The easiest (not so easy)would be to find an H55 from a 551. it will fit in its designated spot without modifications. You would only have to make provisions for the battery if your does not have it and redo all of the wiring.Belt guard stays the same. Aside from that one , I think anything else is going to take a bit of work such as re drilling the frame , coming up with the right size belt, and perhaps a new belt guard.

If you are lucky to find the K91S it will fit doing basically what I just described above. Very critical to achieve correct location so you do not have to modify gear shift lever. Jeff did some very nice and clever work on his with the shift lever and hiding all the electrical  components. On mine I was able to leave all engine components on engine by merely moving things around a little.I wanted it only to be reliable and easy to do without too many modifications. You can definitely convert yours to a battery ignition using a starter generator. Not too much to it and a lot easier than finding the costly and elusive K91S.  I am however very partial to a K91S. Sometimes it just seems all you need to do is to think "start". It always fires immediately, it barely turns over.

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

• Like 3

378Pete
14 hours ago, slammer302 said:

Predator 212 from harbor freight  

I think I found a winner.Is this predator electric start?  Is there any value in a K91 engine?

Edited by 69chargerv8
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Sure there's value, is it running engine? 

378Pete
12 minutes ago, 69chargerv8 said:

6 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Sure there's value, is it running engine? 

Actually it runs really good. That's really why I originally wanted to modify an electric start to it and use it. But defiantly out of my fab skill range 

slammer302
1 hour ago, 69chargerv8 said:

I think I found a winner.Is this predator electric start?  Is there any value in a K91 engine?

No the predator is not electric start but the cheap electric start 6.5HP motors on ebay will be the same bolt pattern for mounting to the frame