RedRanger

Tire Paint on old tires

RedRanger

I've got a set of rims and original BFG luggers from the early 60's that I'm restoring.
Rims are getting blasted and powder coated.
The tires are pretty dry, faded, and have white stains from somebody splattering house paint on them decades ago.
I plan to use Millers Tire Paint on them.

Should I put the paint directly on the cleaned dry rubber or should/could I soak them in RuGlyde first.
The RuGlyde will soften them up some, but will it have detrimental effect to the tire paint????

shallowwatersailor

The RuGlyde shouldn't interfere with the Miller Tire Paint. But I'm not sure if it will be worth the effort as the paint will seal the tire.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Miller Paint will cost $30 shipped for 1 quart.
American Automotive has a gallon for the same price.

Both have the same description and same concentration.  Anybody have feedback as to why I should get the Miller Paint over the AA if the AA is 4x as much quantity???

https://www.alltiresupply.com/product/1-gal-concentrate-black-tire-paint-water-base

• Like 2

Brian01

Hey, don't mean to highjack your thread ranger, but I'd like to see some pictures and or videos of before and after using tire paint.

How well does it hold up on a daily driver? Etc

• Like 2

WHX??

Did you try other things first Red? Some other type of cleaner perhaps. This product has always been go to for me. It took paint overspray right off and really deep cleans. Leaves the rubber looking too new for old tires. All the little 50 year old cracks and checks showed up. Leaves the tires a really deep flat black. Might take a couple of applications and some hand scrubbing. 12 bucks a gallon on amazon but most auto stores & big boxes have it. Used on some old Suburban tires and was amazed. Armour all on after the cleaning might help the dryness.

Capture.JPG

RedRanger

Hey, don't mean to highjack your thread ranger, but I'd like to see some pictures and or videos of before and after using tire paint.

How well does it hold up on a daily driver? Etc

I'll try to remember.  I'm terrible at taking before and after pics and during as far as that goes.

Did you try other things first Red? Some other type of cleaner perhaps. This product has always been go to for me. It took paint overspray right off and really deep cleans. Leaves the rubber looking too new for old tires. All the little 50 year old cracks and checks showed up. Leaves the tires a really deep flat black. Might take a couple of applications and some hand scrubbing. 12 bucks a gallon on amazon but most auto stores & big boxes have it. Used on some old Suburban tires and was amazed. Armour all on after the cleaning might help the dryness.

Capture.JPG

I've used that years ago.  It does a great job of cleaning.  I agree.
On my 867, I cleaned the tires and soaked in RuGlyde for about a week or so. They came out looking new.  Now after 10 months or so, they could use another soaking.  They're slowly fading.

On this current set of tires, they're pretty faded and I just can't get the white paint stains out of the rubber.  I don't think that stuff would be adequate for this case.
I've scraped the chunks.  I've tried paint stripper on the heavy stuff, but it left stains in the rubber that don't seem to want to go away.  I've used Acetone and Lacquer Thinner with no luck.
I think the tire paint will be best for this set.

857 horse

I tryed Miller Tires paint.......Did wonders to my tire.....drive all over the yard....stays clean dont rinse off....makes my tires look new....
................................havnt tried anything else...just throwing in what i know.......(so very little).......
good luck.........and keep that red machine shiney and warm....,

another thought.................i used a brush........foam.....throw away kind......

Edited by 857 horse
added notes
  • Like 3

shallowwatersailor

The Miller Tire Paint will cover overspray paint on the tire. I have used a bristle brush and a foam brush. The foam brush is easier to use on the tire. I have an example but it is on my David Bradley with tires from the '50s. :)

• Like 2

RedRanger

I ordered the AA tire paint.  I'll post results next week.

• Like 2

WHX??

Please.......with sum:text-coolphotos:

953 nut

Glycerin is an old school solution that I used years ago on some cracked weather stripping on a pick up I was restoring. I heated the rubber with a hair dryer and brushed on the glycerin liquid. After a couple of applications it was a lot more supple and most of the cracks went away. With the availability of aftermarket  rubber parts I haven't used this method in thirty years but it works. I will be interested in results from this thread, have some 50+ year old tires that are in need of a little love.

• Like 2

RedRanger

Ordered the paint and waiting.  Here's a teaser for you.
017.thumb.jpg.cfb5ba8ab8c65afaffe255c1d0

Rims are off at the powdercoater.

001.thumb.jpg.61d769ebb41f08aaf181396215

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 4

953 nut

Tires don't look too bad, should come out like new.

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

maynard was using some other type of paint on tires. Maybe he'll chime in.

Dave Burley

Sent from my tractor seat.

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 1

Don1977

I agree with Richard that they don't look bad. I would try giving them a good cleaning first. I've used the Bleach-White it's good stuff. A couple of steel wool soap should remove the white paint. If they clean up then give them a good coat of Armor All.

RedRanger
10 hours ago, Don1977 said:

I agree with Richard that they don't look bad. I would try giving them a good cleaning first. I've used the Bleach-White it's good stuff. A couple of steel wool soap should remove the white paint. If they clean up then give them a good coat of Armor All.

I tried steel wool as well as a wire brush and sandpaper. Tried all of these with lacquer thinner as well as paint thinner. That white stain is not coming off.

shallowwatersailor

The tire paint should cover the stain. You will be surprised at how well it covers following the directions on diluting it with water.

• Like 1

Racinbob
On 11/19/2015, 8:51:29, Fun Engineer said:

maynard was using some other type of paint on tires. Maybe he'll chime in.

Dave Burley

Sent from my tractor seat.

I PM'd him a while back and he uses Baluga black from Home Depot. You can get a sample can on their website for about $3 shipped. Thinned 50/50 and applied with a HVLP gun and it's plenty for a set.

• Like 2

RedRanger
On 11/19/2015, 4:51:02, RedRanger said:

Ordered the paint and waiting.  Here's a teaser for you.
017.thumb.jpg.cfb5ba8ab8c65afaffe255c1d0

Rims are off at the powdercoater.

001.thumb.jpg.61d769ebb41f08aaf181396215

Well.....The parts are back from powder coat and my 401 has new shoes.  Still waiting on the tire paint though.  Seems they took my order and somebody forgot to ship it.

Should be here this week.

Love the way the front tires fit these suburbans.  These wheels are actually the yellow and rusty ones above.

074.thumb.jpg.fb46efd8d85e3e7ef194c2b0ad070.thumb.jpg.4e79515c63879eabcc4e192e08075.thumb.jpg.bda34dfd7529f8dd88b1190e68

• Like 6

AMC RULES

Tractor looks really great...   :handgestures-salute:

what red paint did you end up using? 

• Like 1

RedRanger
14 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Tractor looks really great...   :handgestures-salute:

what red paint did you end up using? 

The 401 was painted by a previous owner about 7 or 8 years ago from what I know.  I've traced it back that far.  

It's a rattle can job.  Looks pretty good for what it is, except gas stains around the filler and a spot under the carb where the paint lifted from a carb bowl leak.

Down the road I may strip it down and re-do it.

The white bits are Antique White powder coat.  The pictures make it look brighter than it really is.

On my other project I'm using Dupont Nason urethane. Color is IH-50 International Harvester.  As well as the deck for this tractor and the deck for my 867.

That's another story... LOL

Reassembly is a xxxxx.  The deck double pulley was damaged and I didn't want to spend the money for the "correct" one so I found an aftermarket two piece pulley and assembled it.

Didn't realize until this point in assembly that the pulley is 1/4" too tall.  Double belts are pinched and won't turn.

I'm currently waiting for UPS with a NOS double pulley so I can finish the deck and move on to the 401 deck.

Please excuse the greasy finger prints, not quite photo-shoot ready.  This is my 867 deck.  It's a RM367 model.

077.thumb.jpg.cbdf903f7794f081685213821a

078.thumb.jpg.53a618cba82e302540e5f1cdaa

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

So nice... :bow-blue:

like :wh: candy. 

JPWH

Tractor and deck looks real nice. Did you powder coat the seat as well?

RedRanger
3 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

So nice... :bow-blue:

like :wh: candy. 

Thank you.  It's fun.

I've got the deck for the 401 half done as well as a deck for our Lawn Ranger on the bench.

Once those are done, I can move on to the Lawn Ranger disassembly.

Hope to make it show quality.

6 minutes ago, Hank01 said:

Tractor and deck looks real nice. Did you powder coat the seat as well?

Yes.  Matches the wheels.

Everything was blasted to bare metal.  For some reason the seat kept bleeding through red, even though there was no paint or pigment on the metal anymore.

Very strange.

The coater had to redo the seat 3 times.  Eventually they put a gray powdercoat primer on the seat and then the white so it would not bleed.

Weird thing is the seat had no red paint on it???

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

BIG A+ on that work. Looks fantastic. I have a deck just like that to redo. I can tell you now it wont look that good. Btw, did Terry supply the decals?

Glenn

• Like 2