treehorse704

704 poping out of 3rd gear

treehorse704

I want to start off by saying I'm a new member, and new to wheel horse family. I own a small tree company, and last year i was looking for a lawn tractor with some guts to skid around some small logs. I did some research, then stumbled across a 704 with a dozer blade and a mower deck. Completely original, down to the air filter by the looks of it. I purchased it for $300. I flushed the gear oil, oil change, spark plug, filter, etc. yesterday I pulled 12' long, 12" diameter logs for near 5hrs. Then my 3 year old son putted it around the back yard, smiling ear to ear. Thing is proving bulletproof, and special. No drop in oil level, and didn't go through a full tank of gas!

I think I am posting in the correct place, but I'm learning how to navigate still.

my only problem is 3rd gear slips under load, and my break is worn. Both of these were not my doing. I plan to use this horse like a work horse, and fix it as it needs it. Some advice on how to move forward would be great. Thanks, a lot.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

First...:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:           What a great looking horse.  Love that patina.

I'm no xpert on your tranny problem, but I'm sure the Stevasauras  tranny guru will chime in and offer some help.

• Like 1

slammer302

thats a great looking horse and your problem with third gear popping out is sum what common one of the experts will give you more insight on that 

treehorse704

Thank you, and I plan to leave the patina until one of my boys wants to fully restore it. Or they will be like me and leave the stories on it. ha

• Like 3

Brian01
:WRS:  that's a good lookin tractor!

slammer302

I just noticed the hood ornament i like it gives it sum character 

Brian01

lol good eye...I didn't see it either

AMC RULES

:WRS:
Either replace that trans as a unit, or open it up and inspect the gears, then replace worn parts. 
Not too hard to do, either way...brake probably just needs adjusted, or band replaced...
here's a thread to give you an idea of what to expect see in the trans. 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/25103-5085-trans-rebuild-videos-pics/

• Like 1

treehorse704

Thanks Amc rules. Common question, I just couldn't locate a tutorial. I'm going to get into this winter. I think the band is worn on the break. Where do I ask for parts? Is there a forum for that?

thanks!

Racinbob
:WRS:
You can download the service manual right here. You're problem is going to be the Hi/2nd gear, part #3523 and the input gear #3522 may be an issue as well. It's a common problem in these transmissions caused by grinding the gears over the years. The nice thing is that they are really simple to work on. Steve's videos are great so definitely take a look at them. Flush the transmission first and then disassemble. Inspect the gears, bearings, etc. to determine what you need then post it here. You'll definitely want to get all new seals for it. Note the pinned information at the top of this section. It has all the info you'll need for the gears and seals. Your 704 has a 5046 transmission. The brake will be a simple fix by either adjusting as Craig mentioned or, if you need new lining Rmaynard has them in the vendor section here. In any case, when it comes to Wheel Horses you definitely came to the right forum for help.

Here's a picture of the 3523 gear. In 3rd the inner teeth mesh with the input gear. The left one is a NOS gear and you can see the teeth screaming to be ground off. The one on the right is worn but still usable especially on a non-worker. I'm betting your gear will be worse.

3523 Comparison.JPG

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

bmsgaffer

EDIT: answered my own question by RTFM! (watching the videos...)

Edited by bmsgaffer

Racinbob

That's really sweet treehorse. Just about as nice as you'll find and a great price. One of these days I'd like to run across a 704 because that was the second new Wheel Horse my Dad bought when I was 9 years old.
I missed where you have already flushed the transmission. :handgestures-thumbupright:  You're gonna want to get it really right with what you're planning for it. Once you get a list made up send it to racinfool40. He should have most, if not all, of what you need. Once you're done it will go for another 40+ years.

• Like 2

treehorse704

Thanks for the support everyone! Good stuff! We're might the service manuals be? Really guys, good stuff!

• Like 1

953 nut

Just click on "downloads" on the top of the page and it will bring up manuals on tractors. Here it is.

file:///C:/Users/George/Downloads/Tractor%201964%20604%20654%20704%20OM%20IPL%20%23163-164.pdf

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
Just to add...
there's always the :rs:classified section. 
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/10-wanted/...
Great way to ask your fellow members for help with specific parts you may need. 
Also, don't forget, the awesome supply of parts available from our very own :wh: vendors list. 
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Craig's right...and a little planning here will go a long way.  I am pretty sure Racinfool40 is out of those 2nd/3rd fork gears.  We do have a couple of show/swaps left...so he may find some.  We all know that is what you are going to need for sure...(the input shaft may be alright).  I would place a want ad in the classifieds now and try to find that # 3523 fork gear.  Someone else just may have one out there.  Cost should be anywhere from free to $20 plus shipping.  Make sure you get pictures of it and compare it to Bob's pictures above.  Let us know what you find.  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Also including a picture of the 3522 input gear would be a good idea. That may be chewed up too.

• Like 1

treehorse704

Thanks everyone! As soon as I have time opening it up, I will most definitely post pictures, ask advice, and purchase some parts. Winter is the time that I actually have time! Thanks again.