BOB ELLISON

C160 trans troubles

BOB ELLISON

Ok guys especially chorusguy for saying I should save my C160 from parting out. I need help on this tractor. I am ready to open up the 5088 transmission to find out why the left axle is coming out. I know I have to pull off wheels and hubs and I have seen how to do it with an old hub that I don’t have. well and I broke the  hub trying to get it off. tried a 3 arm  gear puller 
that didn't do it so I took left side hub with 5 bolts and large bolt in middle and it broke hub as you can see. 
And does this thing really use 10w30 motor oil for Trans and hydro drive?

Found this in manual  NOTE:  It is not necessary to remove the hydrostatic unit if only the transaxle is being serviced.

TRANSAXLE DISASSEMBLY

The transmission case is held together with six bolts.

Disassembly may be made from either side, leaving

the gears intact in the opposite side. NOTE: It is not

necessary to remove the hydrostatic unit if only the

transaxle is being serviced.

1. Remove both wheel hubs by loosening the lock

nuts and set screws. Slide the hubs from the axle. A

special wheel puller may be required.

2. Remove the woodruff keys and file any rough

edges from the key slots and the ends of the axle.

3. Remove the six bolts holding the transmission

case halves together.

4. Lightly tap the half to be removed with a

plastic or rawhide mallet to break the seal. Slide the

case-half off, the axle carefully to avoid damaging

the oil seals.

5. Remove the old gasket and carefully clean the

sealing surfaces

I don’t know what will fall out when I do this.

If I do get it apart do I have to pull the pinion gear to see if snap ring is broken or axle is damaged?

I don’t know what to expect because I never did a transmissions before. And what should I replace after I do find it to be good, wheel seals, filter, gasket for Trans this is a no brainer. Someone said the parking pawl would most likely be bad. I have the manual but I need a picture book showing what order to remove parts and what to take off.

I did see a diagram of taking off half of the Trans but I can’t find it again. I have to clean a lot before I can open it up and the parts I need where I can get them.

I want to check the trans and see if it is a easy fix or replace it.
update drained trans and no metal bits came out oil looked dark but good .I used a magnet and got no metal out of
oil so far so good just got to get the rest of the hub off ,got any ideas.20150827_181015.thumb.jpg.8d6efc2622d3cd20150827_120504.thumb.jpg.e07ead244d580920150825_205518.thumb.jpg.ac294126c55f1c20150825_204146.thumb.jpg.6be1f22303ae65

953 nut

Here it a thread on the same job being done on a GT-14 but the information is applicable to your job. Lots of other interesting stuff here too.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/30262-gt14/?page=1

BOB ELLISON

thank you 953 nut but I already read that whole post. I tried with a puller and broke a peace off so
I went with the hub and 5 bolts to hold a large bolt in the middle and it broke as in
the picture, I will make something to go on back of hub may need to heat it.
or take off that half of the transmission and try it press if off .or
cut it with a cutoff wheel with out hitting axle 

chorusguy

They really do use 10w30 as hydraulic fluid.  I have read that some earlier models used automatic transmission fluid (atf) however don't switch.  If there is motor oil in it use motor oil again.  I think there is a screen filter inside that could catch metal scraps if there are any.  Don't want to burst your bubble but if there are bits and pieces they could be caught there.  Make sure you clean that out.  Also use the specific filter for the tranny.  Or the Napa equivalent.  Something about a bypass.  The parking pawl is made of bronze I think.  Never had a problem with my 3 160's.  They all work.  I bought a parts tractor and suspect the parking pawl is screwed in that one.  Lever doesn't move but the tractor does.  Looking forward to seeing your progress