PeacemakerJack

314-8: to buy or not to buy?

PeacemakerJack

OEM, and someone here will be in with the part number.

Not hard to change:
Pull PTO hoop, loosen or remove foot rest, you may have to remove tab from clutch idler its different over the years, push clutch in, remove old belt, rinse, repeat in reverse. :handgestures-thumbupright:

If you search youtube, our very own @Stigian made a good video showing how to do it.

Ah, here it is:

Thank you very much!!!  Im looking forward to getting this thing cleaned, serviced and working.  Just let me know what the correct part number is and I'll get a belt ordered...

bmsgaffer

Looks to be 7473.

There is a belts chart in the manuals (Files) section. Take a look there and you can download all your manuals, some parts lists, and very informative charts.

Let us know how it goes!

PeacemakerJack

There is a belts chart in the manuals (Files) section. Take a look there and you can download all your manuals, some parts lists, and very informative charts.

thanks.  I checked it out and downloaded several manuals.  I didn't see an owners manual,  maybe I just missed it!  Could someone point me in the right direction?  Is there a pdf service manual available for my tractor? 

I I dumped the tranny lube this morning--nasty looking. Likely hasn't been changed since day one.  Went to my local Toro dealer and worked with a young guy behind the counter. I told him what I had and asked if he could get me some parts.  He said "that is an old tractor, I don't think most of those parts will be available!"  Well we looked up headlight bezels-check, shifter dust cover-check, drive belt-check, lift cable clevis-check!  He looks at me and says, "I guess that stuff is still available!"  Awesome!

Then I picked up from our local Fleet Farm, tune up parts, tranny lube, lights, and a handful of small parts.  By next weekend, it should be ready to rock and roll!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I just searched for "73400" in the search bar, then clicked "files" on the left hand side. Scrolled down a little bit to find the '94.

OM: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3812-tractor-1994-314-8-da-om-wiring-snpdf/
IPL: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2657-tractor-1994-314-8-iplpdf/

Then just browsed through for some other useful manuals:

Solve electrical gremlins on any model: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/10-demystification-guide-1985-2001-492-4509pdf/
Kohler Magnum SM: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4106-engine-kohler-magnum-m-8-m10-m12-m14-m16-sm-tp-2203-apdf/
Magnum OM: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4107-engine-kohler-magnum-m-8-m12-m16-om-tp-2200-fpdf/

You can find manuals for your mower deck, transmission and other attachments by doing a little research and scrolling around in there. Good luck! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Called my local Toro dealer at 5:25 on the long shot that my parts might be in--they were!  :laughing-rofl:  

So tonight,  I get the 314 set up to go plowing tomorrow!  My uncle has a farm and every year he hosts a Farm day.  Years ago they only threshed grain.  The last several years we have done a variety of field tasks including GT plowing.  I can't wait to hook this thing to the 10" Brinly and see how it does.  

I'll make sure I take pics and video...

WHX??

What dealer was that Jack...TP ????

PeacemakerJack

What dealer was that Jack...TP ???

Yepper!  My dad used to go on there 25-30 years ago and buy parts for the Iron Horse--his 875.  They were very helpful. I'd highly recommend them.

oldredrider

You should consider putting front wheel weights on your tractor with the 10" plow...ask me how I know!

WHX??

I used to go there 20 years ago or so, read my post in the pinned vintage  dealer thread about them.

What dealer was that Jack...TP ???

Yepper!  My dad used to go on there 25-30 years ago and buy parts for the Iron Horse--his 875.  They were very helpful. I'd highly recommend them.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

You should consider putting front wheel weights on your tractor with the 10" plow...ask me how I know!

I'm listening...

PeacemakerJack

I got about an hour of seat time on my 314 today!  It was a lot of fun plowing with that old dude!  There are some things that I will have to still upgrade to make it a great plow tractor but I put it through a real workout and overall--I'm impressed.  Thanks for encouraging me to buy it.

First, I need to install the new belt.  It was good plowing in first gear but the ground was pretty dry, hence tough, since we haven't seen measurable rain here in awhile.  So in second, it was plowing like a dream for about 250 feet when the belt started to chirp, then squeal, then burn!  About the time I put in the clutch it was starting to smoke.  Time to go back to first!!! In first gear, she plowed tough and worked hard!!

image.thumb.jpg.2d11b04e05cb54f9f6df0392

Second, I'm gonna need some weights for the front end! This thing at times was like a bucking bronco!!!! In all fairness to "the Horse", I was pulling my 12" Brinly that I lovingly call "the Punisher"!  What do you guys suggest for weight? I know that WH has front wheel weights. Are those a good choice or would I be better to fabricate a front bracket and run weight on it?

all in all a super fun day, playing in the dirt!

PeacemakerJack

Here is a Video that my buddy took of me plowing today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwE592s-tDw

I guess I don't know how to insert the video like bmsgaffer did. Hopefully you will be able to click the link and watch it.  

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I finally installed my new primary drive belt tonight in preparation for the big plow day this weekend.  The old belt was in really rough shape.  If I was a betting man, I'd wager that it had never been replaced.  I'm eager to see the difference that it will make for getting all that Kohler lugging power to the ground...

image.thumb.jpg.972baf7b242e263908211409

trying to to get all these last minute things taken care of before the weekend!

image.thumb.jpg.421d4328a0844306c5f3e11f

question: could you guys tell me where the fuel filter is normally located on one of these dudes?  I traced the fuel line from the tank  to the pump and can't find anything.  I could just pick a spot but I figure the factory figured on the best location for a reason!  

Next up, rear light and front AG's!

dcrage

They did not come from the factory with fuel filters. Most folks install an after market filter between the tank and the fuel pump. 

Wheel-N-It
After years of WheelHorsing, I'm not sure you need to put an additional filter in the line. I finallly stopped doing that because I take very good care not to let my fuel get contaminated.

Thor27

Edited by Thor27
computer illiterate

PeacemakerJack

Thanks guys for the information.  That is a suprise that they didn't include a filter from the factory.  I too try to make sure that I always use good, fresh, uncontaminated fuel.  However, in a day and age where nearly everything with an engine on it has a fuel filter, I must admit that I find it interesting that they didn't ship those out with one.  Thanks again for weighing in on the subject.  Rear plow light is hooked up and front AG's going on this afternoon! I desperately need front weights on this little guy to keep the front wheels on the ground while pulling hard, do you guys have any pictures of rigs with a front weight bracket fabbed for these?

Forest Road

Nice ride! I miss having an 8 speed. Check the teams mount bolts and plate. They're known to come loose and snap the mounting plate. A few guys here have made reinforcing plates to put right on top of the factory mount.

I've always added an inexpensive fuel filter to every tractor I've owned. Very cheap insurance.

As far as front weight goes. Wheel weights are nice but don't really do a whole lot. I used mine to move a rental wood chipper around. Used my front mounted mackissic wood chipper to keep the front end on the ground. I'd guess it weighs about 100lbs.

I spoke w a Toro rep a few years ago concerning parts. He said there were so many of these out there that parts will be available for many years to come. So many bearings, belts, pins, and safety switches can easily be found elsewhere. No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WHX??

Make a run to FF Jack and look by the fram filters aisle. The have some nice ones ther for a couple of bucks. Get a bunch, I use them on all my motors.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/search/?q=fuel+filters&searchSubmit.x=8&searchSubmit.y=15
You still haven't told me where that plow event is yet!

For the front weight could you mount a post on and use gym weights? Any thoughts as to filling the fronts with fluid? 

The way it looks in your video the steering gear takes a beating to keep it in the furrow? Love the skull on the plow blade!

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

I'm new to this forum and just recently got my first 300 series wheel horse 310-8 and I love it. Yours looks nice to me and you got a great deal! Good luck with it.

• Like 2

slammer302

The gas tank shut off has a filter built into it I guess they thought it was enough

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

cheesegrader

A Fram G1 filter will fit those fuel lines
Front wheel weights are only about 25 lbs each.  Might not be enough.  If you plan to do a bunch of plowing, I'd mount a front bracket for suitcase weights.
Front wheel weights are also hard to come by, and very expensive 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Wow! Thanks everyone for weighing in, some great thoughts all around.  I don't have time to install a filter before Saturday's plow day because of everything I have yet to do but I'll definitely put that high on my priority
list. I'm planning to go to a plow day in Buck Creek, IA a week from Saturday and I'll make sure that I have it completed by then.  

I can't wait to post a couple of pics with the new AG's on the front!  This thing really has a tough look set up this way.  

About the video link above with the plow...I took that plow in on a trade about a year and a half ago. It is a 12" Brinly vs the typical 10".  We had several 10" Brinley's in the family but this was the first sleeve hitch 12" Brinly.  It is so much larger than a 10" that it is hard to believe.  It takes quite a bit more power to pull especially in tough ground.  It is moving so much "real estate" that it can man handle a garden tractor pretty easy given the right conditions.  It can "punish" an unsuspecting tractor and bring it to its knees, therefore I named it, "the Punisher" after the comic book character.  The skull sticker on the back side of the mold board is the Punisher logo!  The 314 really handles it well though!

Im working on a front frame weight that will add over 60lbs.  Hopefully that will be enough to keep me
planted.  If not--I'll add more!

Hopefully with more weight, my steering gear will take less of a beating!  

Time me will tell,  but I'm looking forward to getting this thing just the way I want it for serious plowing!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

The 314 is ready for serious plowing!

image.thumb.jpg.a211470f9a9e3a966a720cf1

Here it is with the Punisher in tow...

image.thumb.jpg.2500aa05c091790a702e8fdc

Thanks to my Uncle Roger who fabbed the weight bracket for the front--adding a quick release 60#! Boy did that make a difference and it comes off in two seconds.  Ready for Heritage Plow Day tomorrow!

PeacemakerJack

It's OFFICIAL--I like this tractor for plowing!!!  I drove 230 miles to attend a Plow Day in Iowa this weekend and took the 314 and my Cub 100.  The 314 did a great job with the new belt and fresh weights!  The coolest thing about the weekend was taking my son and daughter with me. She is only 8 years old but she begged me to go along and then begged me to let her plow.  The 314-8 isn't exactly the most "kid friendly" tractor with manual lift and GD tranny. However, I seized the opportunity and let her have "my" seat! She loved it!

image.thumb.jpg.db6a5961edf8d2ff77fa47d9

We were plowing a field that was nearly a quarter mile long and so I would sit half on the seat and half on the fender to get her started in the furrow, then I would jump off and let her at it.

image.thumb.jpg.78840623f28f0762dc6c86bd

She took to it really quickly and kept wanting to plow another round!

image.thumb.jpg.1d984ecde83b88684937478b

My good buddy took this pic from across the field. I'm pretty sure I walked several miles behind her sucking dirt but I couldn't have been happier!

image.thumb.jpg.6007283cbc75d19181800ebf

I did get some seat time at the end of the day when the kids were worn out but I was happy to have them plowing with me for sure. I let a couple of guys drive the Horse who had never plowed with one before and they were impressed.  They kept asking me why there aren't more at plow days...

time to to bring them out, Horsemen!  No one from the forum showed up at my plow day either. Lots of Cubs, lots of Cases, some JD's but I had the only to WH's at my Heritage Plow Day.  These tractors do plow excellent and they are fun to play with.  Thanks to all who encouraged me to buy this one--a good decision!!!

• Like 2