djohn24

Deck Compatibility

djohn24

My question is...Are all mowing decks compatible with each other in the 500 series? I have a 93 or 94 (dont know,tag was removed) 520H that had a 42inch RD deck on it. I also have a 516H with a 42inch SD deck. The 516's engine is in the process of being rebuilt. I put the 42inch SD on the 520 and it didn't attach near as easy as the RD deck. Had a little bit of a struggle getting it to hook up in the tach-a-matic. Then I noticed with the mule drive turn all the way in. the belt was already kinda tight. Hardly had to adjust the mule drive out. I mowed a few passes with it and seemed to be okay. It looks like the belt to the mule drive is rubbing on the deck. Thought maybe someone could jump in here and give me some info. Thanks in advance!

Edited by djohn24

Racinbob

Yes, they will all interchange....with the exception of the 60". It needs the forward swept front axle. :) If the belt is rubbing then something is wrong. Can you post a picture? If the belt was pretty tight with the drive all the way in then it's probably too short. The decks do take different length belts.

Edited by Racinbob

oldredrider

The decks should interchange. The mower deck drive belt length Is different between the side and rear discharge decks. That could be your problem.

• Like 1

djohn24

Thanks Racinbob & oldredrider! I will get a picture on here tomorrow sometime. Oldredrider, that may have solved it. Would you by chance know those belt numbers? RD V.S SD?

oldredrider

The rear discharge drive belt is 98"...Toro #108834

The side discarge drive belt Is 103.25...Toro #102742

decksetter

My brother tried a 42sd on his 520H and one of the deck wheels rubbed a rear tire. Maybe there are different models?

gwest_ca

The 1994 and 1995 model 73501 I checked don't show a 42" SD for the North American models but the 520-He model 73520 that was exported do show one.

Wonder if the wheel offset or tire size was different?

Garry

Racinbob

I forgot about that issue. It would be interesting to see the difference in the deck that's listed for a 520. It's my understanding that it doesn't take much so maybe it is a smaller wheel.

djohn24

Here are a few pics. Knowing now that there are different belts for each deck, should solve the belt on the deck issue. No problem with deck wheels hitting the back tires here. I just question how difficult it was to hook it up into the tach-a-matic v.s. the RD deck. The SD deck that came from the 516H did not have the bar on it that hooks into the tach-a-matic. I had to remove the one from the RD deck. Thought it may have something to do the 516 being a manual lift. If you notice in the one picture, I could not get the fork on the bar that hooks into the tach-a-matic to rotate up and lock on the bar in the tach-a-matic.  Thank you to everybody jumping in here and giving their input!

IMG_20150607_124320_865.jpg

IMG_20150607_124519_882.jpg

IMG_20150607_124607_018.jpg

Racinbob

You're good with a 60" with that axle. You definitely need to get that to get that fork positioned properly.

Edited by Racinbob

oldredrider

Proper location of the fork will prevent rhe belt rub problem. When it is positioned correctly,  clearance issue is solved. 

Racinbob

Exactly. It will drop the deck down so it will clear.

djohn24

I found out something today. I wanted to get that fork hooked up in the tach-a-matic properly. In order to do that, the deck has to move further back. Which. is where the longer belt to the mule drive will be needed. As Decksetter mentioned about his brother tried a 42SD on a 520 and the deck wheel rubbed the rear tire. I will have the same issue now. Didn't with the fork not being correctly hooked up. I measured outside to outside on both decks, the width of the deck wheels. The RD measured 44 1/8, the SD measured 42 1/8. Looks like i will have to add a spacer or something to move those deck wheels out on the SD.  gwest_ca mentioned not seeing a 42 SD deck for the 520 North American model. I didn't know there was a export model. I'm still learning! Added a few more pics. Looks like the SD deck wheels naturally sit further back v.s the RD.IMG_20150608_144228_067.thumb.jpg.3c88f2IMG_20150608_144020_831.thumb.jpg.92cf38IMG_20150608_144020_831.thumb.jpg.92cf38IMG_20150608_144402_072.thumb.jpg.71399e

Edited by djohn24

Racinbob

Another member solved the tire rub issue by moving the deck wheel 'up' the bar a little which allowed for a little more clearance. However much it affects the deck was easily adjusted to correct but it sounded like it wasn't needed at all.