AMC RULES

Squealing like a pig now.

AMC RULES
Charged the new 1075's battery up overnight, then put it to work around here this morning. 
Got maybe 4-5 good starts out of it before, out of the blue, this happened when trying to restart again. 
Was originally trying to turn over, before ending up with a squeal...then just the squeal, and no turning over at all. 
I'm not an electrical kind of guy...so, I'm gonna need some expert electrical advise to help me fix this issue.
 :confusion-shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYuyVfVqb4

edit (nylyon): Craig, you can use the Insert other media button to add the video so it's not just a link.  I like the old way too, but this one is more consistent.  Edited by nylyon
embed video

shallowwatersailor

What's the voltage at the battery?

• Like 1

squonk

Me tinks either the battery is toast (low voltage ) or the voltage drop thru the switch /wiring is excessive. I believe the pig you hear is inside of your Genny.

squonk

Craig, check the battery voltage at rest and then again when activating the start windings. If it drops below 10 at crank, try another Battery. If it stays good and high try rolling the motor by hand and trying it again. Possibly a bad spott on the Genny commutator. Or bring it here and I hang on to it for a few years! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

AMC RULES
:thanks:   I'll will check it, and report back with my findings. 
BTW...did notice it does have a non factory/replacement switch ignition in the dash. 

IMG_3321.JPG

Edited by Giddy Up WH

stevebo

Does the motor spin by hand freely?

squonk

Craig, The more I think about it I bet it's a low voltage issue. I think the squealing noise is coming from the regulator. I think one of the coils inside it is trying to pull in and can't because of not enough juice. Same thing as a solenoid clicking.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Standard stuff.

Put the video camera down and pickup the multimeter.
Start by measuring battery voltage

• Like 3

Save Old Iron

Craig, The more I think about it I bet it's a low voltage issue. I think the squealing noise is coming from the regulator. I think one of the coils inside it is trying to pull in and can't because of not enough juice. Same thing as a solenoid clicking.

​It is a funny sound for sure but I'm not sure which "solenoid" in the regulator would be chattering.

The voltage relay doesn't activate unless the gen is producing over 14 volts - and that's not happening.
The current solenoid doesn't activate unless the gen is producing too much current - that's not happening.
The cutout relay doesn't close until the gen produces over  10 -11 volts and that's not happening.
Welded contacts the cutout relay could be draining the battery charge back thru the gen field coils ??

Be interesting to see what the issue turns out to be. Without a multimeter (or even a battery charger) we are all just guessing.

The multimeter will tell the story.

BUY A CLUE.gif

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

squonk

Well I could be wrong and totally off base with Craig's problem but As a teenager I had a 61 Ford with basically the same set up. I had bad spot in the Gen. that would feed back and make the regulator hum and squeal with the key off. Replace the Gen and the problem was gone

• Like 1

AMC RULES
To my ear...  :confusion-shrug:
the squealing does sound like it is coming from the gen. 
Also found that if you just bump the key, not hold it, it gets past that spot, then starts right up with no issue. 

ipperwash

Have you checked the belt tension

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

That does sound like a bad spot on the commutator causing resistance, hence the squealing. Especially if you can bump it. You may be able to pull the brushes and clean them without disassembling it. At the same time get in and wipe the commutator.

• Like 2

squonk

I would still check that battery voltage and also do a voltage drop on the cables. Could be  a combination of things lowering the voltage enough to cause an issue.

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

I would still check that battery voltage and also do a voltage drop on the cables. Could be  a combination of things lowering the voltage enough to cause an issue.

​+1

troubleshoot as a no start issue, don't worry so much about the noise.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Found the hot coil also caused...
a no start issue within my ignition swith.  
:angry-extinguishflame:

2008-06-29_001_007.thumb.JPG.38ee36f6382

squonk

Lucky the dash didn't melt.

Wheel-N-It
On my K series powered tractors I always remove the key from the switch after turning the key off. Typically I then lay the key on the hood of the tractor. I made this a practice after leaving the key on and heating the coil. Luckily I did not overheat it but it was getting warm.
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
Had to get up, run back out there, and do just that yesterday Van. 
Guess that's why the PO had the STOP key chain installed.   
:lol:
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Had to get up, run back out there, and do just that yesterday Van. 
Guess that's why the PO had the STOP key chain installed.   
:lol:

You'll probably think about this situation everytime you get near your tractors Craig. I know I do. I was so relieved to have not damaged anything when that happened to me. It was on a KT-17 series 2 engine. I sure did not want to buy one of those coils. Too much $$$