daveoman1966

Ethanol Fuel.... JUNK JUNK JUNK

daveoman1966

I had just filled the tank to when my old faithful  Bronco 14 with original K321s engine began acting up, as if it was starving for fuel.  I had rebuilt the carburetor last summer / fall and it sat outside (under tarp) the whole winter and it didn't hesitate to start...about 1 month ago.   Grimm thoughts of water or trash in the fuel tank overcame me.

I have always used STABIL additive, knowing that ethanol gas breaks down in short term.  Never did I suspect, or expect, to find what I found as the culprit...   there was actually INDIAN CORN growing in the carburetor bowl.   I think that STABIL was acting as fertilizer...

Here is the PROOF...... INDIAN CORN for God's sake.    Whodathunkit.

post-1200-0-52215500-1431499498_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-39920900-1431499504_thumb.jp

Pullstart

wow!

JPWH

I stopped using stabil when I had to get the injection system rebuilt on my boat. I now use a fuel additive by Yamaha at 54.00 a qt. But it only takes an ounce per fill up. I use Lucas safeguard for ethanol in all my small engine equipment. Just treat the 5 gallon can each time I fill it. So far so good. Prices at gas stations should read xxx.9 + additive cost.

• Like 1

squonk

I haven't had the best results with Sta-Bil either. I have found the same thing when Sta-Bil was used only the particles were pink colored. I have had good luck with canned 4 cycle fuel that Lowes and other places sell for storage. My OPE dealer recommends the stuff. Not cheap but it has a 3 yr. shelf life. And my 2 cycles run awesome on the 50 : 1 they sell I also buy non -ethonal premium

Edited by squonk

312Hydro

That's a-maize-ing!

• Like 4

fast88pu

I run 93 octane all the time and before I put it them away I mix a little bit of seafoam in. I have never had a problem with my sleds doing this and they sit all summer in the heat

• Like 1

953 nut

:help: Why are you using gas with ethanol? You have the good fortune to live in a state that has not prevented you from buying the good stuff, take advantage of it. Go to buyrealgas.com, put in your zip code and it will show you where you can get the real thing. 

:twocents-twocents: 

• Like 6

KC9KAS

As I read your post title, I thought...If you are looking for an argument, you're going to have to find another subject !

• Like 2

boovuc

Now I suppose you'll be asking the federal government for subsidies and looking for bigger carburetors to increase your yield!

PS.....how in the hell did Indian corn get in your bowl?   :scratchead:

• Like 4

specialwheelhorse

Went to start my 500 special for a show the other day and low and behold

It still had gas in it from a couple years ago, I thought you jerk you this will never start

Being a tecky, I could see it all, carb cleaning and whole nine yards. But thought what the heck

Give it a try, third pull off and running like top, then I remembered putting the real stuff in

The last time so wonder of wonders still purrs like a kitten, and a tecky, still can't

Believe it !!!!

fireman

At my fire department we use TruFuel http://www.trufuel50.com in all of our 2-stroke engines. For one we were having a problem with guys not mixing the gas and oil properly. This stuff solves that problem and has fuel stabilizers in it and no ethanol. The chainsaws and rescue saws start first time every time!

For our 4 stroke engines we use Tool Fuel http://www.toolfuel.com . Now this stuff is just amazing. Kind of smells like Cam2. It's pricey but in our business seconds count. 

Since we started using both of these products, we have had really no engine related breakdowns or hard starting issues with any of the equipment it used in.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I guess add cleaning the fuel tank to the list of maintenance items besides new gas line and filter. I use the marine Stabil and haven't had a problem. Last year I bought a Kohler -powered Gravely from a PO that used Startron. It showed no deposits and was clean.

Ethanol-free fuel is too far away and located around the Bay, but I do have an airport nearby so need to check av gas out. I left gas in my pressure washer this past winter. The pump did get protected but I even left the gas valve open and didn't run it out. It was pulled out two weeks ago to use so I checked the gas tank. It was about half full so I added fresh gas. Pulled it up on compression - and it started on the first pull! Also, the engine is a HF Greyhound as well.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

rmaynard

...how in the hell did Indian corn get in your bowl?   :scratchead:

Ethanol is made from corn. I guess enough of the corns DNA was still in the product to create life once again. 

• Like 3

312Hydro

A good way to clean that fuel bowl is to put it in the microwave for about 3 minutes on high. Listen carefully and remove when popping stops. Enjoy a healthy snack while admiring your clean carburetor bowl!

• Like 4

alswagg

What you found in your fuel bowl is not Ethonal, but in realilty stale fuel and varnish from years of build up on the inside of the fuel tank, lines, fuel pump and carb bowl.  Ethonal is a from grain alcohol, alcohol is a great "cleaner" of the fuel system.  What it does is loosen up the varnish from the metal tanks and lines.  Then the bad happens, it gets sucked into the carb.  We had many problems with this years ago with our customers boats.  Add a good filter and change regulary.  A few more tanks of  fuel the entire system will be clean and easily run on Ethonal added fuel.  Note only use up to 10 % Ethonal.  Now the very bad, Ethonal since it is alcohol attracts water, is set and vented to the atmosphere it will naturally attract water and if enough water is introduced the molecules will seperate,  This is called Phase seperation,  you will get layers of water the lowest, then the alcohol, grey in color, then the poor fuel sitting on top.    Just be careful and add fuel treatments such as Star Tron and change your filters frequently.  Good luck  Al

• Like 5

clip

Have never had issues running ethanol fuel during use, and been using the regular Stabil for years. I'm trying out some Startron fuel additive, but haven't noticed much difference. Everything still runs great though so must not be hurting anything.

rmaynard

:soapbox:

Everyone has an opinion, and that is what the above comments are, one person's opinion. However, since using ONLY ethanol-free gas in my horses and other small engines, I have eliminated the need for all additives, and I have ZERO problems with gumming or moisture issues. And in my OPINION, fuel stabilzers and additives were created and designed to put money in the pockets of those manufacturing and selling it.  Again just my opinion.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 7

shallowwatersailor

All of my tractors have had previous owners. It stands to reason that If I start using an additive to prevent fuel issues, any existing junk would be addresses/cleaned by the additive. That may mean that I will have sediment that can't be liquefied and will be caught by the filter. Most of these tractors (other than the 5xi from the late '90s) depended only on the strainer in the fuel shutoff valve on the tank. That means that it may have migrated down the line, even though I have cleaned the carb. I know of one member on a different forum that puts rocks in his tank and has a contraption like a drop spreader that he drives around with the tank rotating. That seems to remove any carbuncles that may have formed.

I'm going to pull the fuel bowl on the pressure washer as that has only the filter under the cap and has been mine since new. Now I'm curious.

i had the same brown crap in a used Honda generator i picked up...the fuel tank and the screen was very clean , just that crap in the fuel bowl.  i blamed it on the ethanol fuel from the previous owner must have used.  i use nothing but ethanol free fuel in  all my small engines and cars.   i do carry a bottle of Startron in all my road vehicles in case i get stuck using that corn gas

• Like 1

jimt1971

At the end of the season put 100 octane fuel in anything that I will not be running during the winter. My push mower started with two pulls and has that awesome racing fuel smell when mowing.

• Like 1

rmaynard

jimt1971 - If I am not mistaken, I believe that PA allows dealers the option to sell higher octane fuels e-free. In Maryland, the only place to get it is at a marina. You are lucky. I have to drive to Littlestown, PA and spend $4.30/gallon for my ethanol free gas.

buckrancher

I only use ethanol free gas in all my small engines have zero problems

Brian

ricksrj58

i use the water method and remove the ethonal from my fuel,my lawn ranger sat all winter and i just pulled it out last week to mow for the first time since putting it in storage and it started with 1 pull and runs great.absolutly no water in the sediment bowl or tank.

• Like 1

Lagersolut

jimt1971 - If I am not mistaken, I believe that PA allows dealers the option to sell higher octane fuels e-free. In Maryland, the only place to get it is at a marina. You are lucky. I have to drive to Littlestown, PA and spend $4.30/gallon for my ethanol free gas.

That's the tire shop on RT 194 ?    I just did my 15 gallon trip to Hakes in Dover and his was 3.14 credit -  2.99 cash.

4.30/gallon  :eek::banghead:  WOW !!!!

There's another place right off - I 83  East on RT 30 @ Sherman ST  ( York ) Amerigreen - don't know his price but it's not 4.30/gallon .

I don't know if that helps you or not , I know you're down  south of  Taneytown so the gas getting to those will be the killer .

Used to be an unbranded station in Glennville  east of Codorus state park on RT 216 but they quit selling it 4 or 5 years ago.

Edited by Lagersolut