cmitch

416-8 Kohler 16 hp won't start

cmitch

My mother asked last week if I could get old faithful running. Battery was dead so I replaced it. It cranked right up and ran flawlessly for about 45 seconds, then it sputtered and died. Later attempts to start showed gas was literally spraying out the top of carburator. I removed carborator to unstick float and needle. Freed it up, reassembled and it fired up after about 3 start attempts. It ran beautifully and I mowed over an acre of grass with it when it just sputtered and died while mowing. I thought I had run out of gas but tank was half full and fuel filter had fuel in it. Attempts to start even after checking carburator again was fruitless. Getting fuel but no spark. I noticed this model has an electronic ignition coil pack with the plug wires feeding out. Is this a known problem and what is the proper way to check this part for proper voltage?

Thanks!

Bert

:WRS: I can't help you but when the experts come along they will probably want to know the model and serial numbers from your engine and maybe even a pic. So be ready :)  I'm sure you will find lots of knowledgeable help here. 

cmitch

Here's a pic of the engine with breather cover:

post-15196-0-59326300-1430628409_thumb.j

Edited by cmitch

cmitch

The mower:

post-15196-0-13267000-1430628481_thumb.j

Theroundhousernr

That's an onan twin cylinder. Not a Kohler. The wiring can be temperamental. Check fuses and fuse holders for corroded terminals. Also there is a white nine pin plug that is responsible for every connection to the motor besides the ground. Be looking for the same thing, corrosion. Check your safety switches, your pto must be disengaged to start. If you find everything ok mentioned above, you will have to move onto checking coil and ignition module. Which I will get into after you check the other stuff. Oh and check for twelve volts at the positive side of the coil to ground when key is set to run. Start there first. Kyle

cmitch

All paperwork I've found including owner manual says it's a Kohler engine. It was purchased Dec. 1993 for $3830. Model # 416-8 31-16O84. Serial # is 2000594. I think he may have gotten the wrong manual with the mower. Obviously, all pics check out to be an Onan. I'll see if I can get better pics of the engine. Thanks.

Edited by cmitch

Theroundhousernr

110 percent positive you have a p216 onan performer series twin cylinder 16 hp engine. Kolher made a 16 single magnum but that's not your engine.

Edited by Theroundhousernr

gwest_ca

Here is your operator manual

Garry

cstempert

16= 16Hp O = Onan 804 = 416-8

Usually terminals are corroded or loose. Check the module for loose connections

• Like 1

cmitch

Thanks for all your help. I didn't have a chance to work on it today. I'll do my best to look into this week and I'll post what I found.

cmitch

One other thing I will check is the oil level. It was in the grid range, maybe 1/16" above 'ADD' mark. But, if oil level switch is a bit sensitive, maybe I need to add a couple ounces of oil. It did quit right after I turned a curve. Just a thought.

gwest_ca

Here is the engine service manual

Here is a detailed wiring manual - each circuit has it's own diagram

Garry

cmitch

My mother had decided she wanted to hire mowing done so I abandoned working on it and put it away. Now, she's decided she wants it fixed. I told her the issue was no spark and have since 'edumicated' myself on this mower. OHMS across poles of coil reads 1.9. I know it should read 2.9 to 3.6 per another thread here. A small engine service guy checked it and he said it seemed the ignition coil was bad. So, I'm carrying it home to my place and going to get to work on it, get it running and mow some grass. When it was running, it was the smoothest machine I ever used. Deck was quiet but that may be because I rebuilt it with new spindles. Thanks for all the manuals. I downloaded and printed them.

Screen shot 2016-08-24 at 3.28.02 PM.png

Edited by cmitch

Tuneup

That looks like a wasted spark coil so perhaps someone might want to look to motorcycle coils by Dyna and soup-up their Onan? A Dyna sticker on a Wheel Horse would appeal to me.

cmitch

Went ahead and removed ignition coil. Tested it myself and got only 2 ohms. It would start off at about 2.2 then fall back to 2.

image.jpeg