clueless

312-8 Trans Noise

clueless

Bought this last year from a guy who bought it from his sister-in-law. 575 hours, always garaged, and dealer maintained. Never seen rain and never been wet. Maintenance information on back of seat. Still looks new. This one is as good as it gets in the South. Bought it as my back up lawn tractor and haven't used it. But I took it out today and noticed a knocking noise in every gear and it gets faster as the speed increases. Also, when I push it in neutral I can hear a slight knocking noise. I have only had hydros and 4 speeds. This is my first 8 speed that actually runs. Don't know if this knocking is normal or something I need to look into. PO had all fluids changed prior to me buying it. When I test drove it last year I only drove it with the deck running so I don't know if the noise was there. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Chris from Florida 

post-2565-0-36769500-1427658920_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-59393000-1427658933_thumb.jp

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Nice looking horse.  The clicking is not normal. :eusa-think:  I would put the rear end on blocks, put it in gear while running, and use a long screw driver as a stethoscope.  Touch the blade of the screw driver to different areas around the trans, while the head of the screw driver is on your ear...especially where the bearings are...and try to isolate the noise.  Might want to pull off the wheels to have more room.  Please, be careful while doing this...a 2nd person there is a good idea.  :)   Let us know what you find.

Don1977

Pull the dip stick and see if it still makes noise.

Edited by Don1977
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Must be depressed having to share a garage with that green thing :ychain:  Make sure the wheel bolts are tight as well. Everyone answered as a clicking noise and he described a knock.

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 2

Don1977

If it is really knocking. I would be pulling it apart. He described it as getting fast as speed increases, is the reason we though clicking.

Theroundhousernr

If it is really knocking. I would be pulling it apart. He described it as getting fast as speed increases, is the reason we though clicking.

Was just clarifying.... no worries. My thoughts are the same if its knocking. Not a whole lot will cause a knock. Specially so when rolling in neutral which is why I was thinking possible loose wheel or something.

stevasaurus

A video so we could hear the noise might help.  :)

clueless

I'm not sure how to upload a video. Can someone tell me what to do.

Thanks,

Chris

stevasaurus

You can upload a video to a place like Photobucket and then copy the link "IMG code" into this thread.  You could copy it into u-tube and  copy the link into your post.  You could try to isolate it like I said above and maybe we can figure it out.  Even if we could hear it, I still think you might want to try to isolate it the way I said above.  You might find out that the sound is not in the trans.  Trying to help here.  :)

clueless

Steve, thanks for the help here is the video link:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb448/chrislochas/th_tractor.mp4

I decided to use it yesterday after checking everything. It seemed fine except for the noise. I cut about 3/4 of an acre. After finishing the knock did not seem nearly as loud and when pushing it in neutral it was also not as loud as earlier. This afternoon after removing the rear pan and pushing it the knock seemed to be a little louder. May just be the beer. Anyway you can hear the knock in the video and it is in neutral. When the wheels are off the ground there is no knocking. Also, I did put a set of 520h rear 10.5 tires on it when I bought it but I don't think they are the problem. Don't know if the screwdriver to the ear will do anything if the wheels are of the ground but I will try tomorrow if I have time. I've been given a lot of advise in my 60 years but love that one. 

-Chris from Florida

• Like 1

Shynon

Chris

Listened to the video, sounds like it may be a wheel bearing. makes a lot of noise with weight on it, but quiet without weight. take tires off and then wiggle the hubs and see if you have a lot of axle movement. Either way you will have to take the rear end apart.

Tom

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

When you have the tractor jacked up and spin both wheels in the same direction. Do you get the same result? 

bmsgaffer

I would check the brake and brakeshaft bearing... The knock is occurring multiple times per one wheel revolution, like its on a gear that's further up the drivetrain. (That.s not to say it cant be the wheel bearing, but just something else to check).

• Like 1

ericj

i've had belts that chunked and cause a knocking noise so i say check the belt before taring it down, good luck

eric j 

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Call me silly but pushing the tractor in neutral would not cause the belt to make noise?

bmsgaffer

Call me silly but pushing the tractor in neutral would not cause the belt to make noise?

He mentioned he notices the knock in every gear, so I assume it makes the sound when running in gear too.

stevasaurus

Thanks for the video.  The slop you have when you were shaking the wheels at the end is normal.  When you were turning the wheels by hand and had no noise...all that is actually turning then is the axles and pinions inside the differential...not the differential itself....so those axle bearings are probably OK.  If I had to guess at this point, I would guess that the bearing under the large part of the mushroom gear is the culprit.  The bearing cap between the input shaft and the right side axle.   Try listening there.  If it is louder there then other bearing locations, that is most likely it.  :)

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

He mentioned he notices the knock in every gear, so I assume it makes the sound when running in gear too.

True but since the noise is present when pushed in neutral would bust the theory of the belt.

Im with stevasaurus

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 1

ericj

sorry i'm not always right just trying to help. i know i've over looked the obvious in the past but you learn from your mistakes

eric j 

Edited by ericj
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

Eric, trying to guess what's wrong with this stuff is one of my favorite things to do.  I am not always correct either, but I have guessed right once or twice.  That is why a lot of people on here think I know what I am talking about.  :ychain:   :)

Just another thought here...when you push a horse in neutral...obviously, both wheels are turning in the same direction.  This means that you are rotating the differential housing and turning that mushroom gear, but not the input shaft.  This is why I think it is the mushroom gear bearing.  If that bearing is bad, it would cause enough slop to do what is going on.  If there is a thing that bothers me here...it is the low hours on the horse.

Chris...we used the screw driver trick back in the service station days to listen for a bad lifter and identify it in the 6 and 8 cylinder engines.  It works like a champ.  :)

• Like 3

clueless

Guys, had a little time this afternoon to check it out. Here is where we are at. Tractor up on jacks and no wheels. Both axles have no up and down or side to side play and about an 8th of an inch in and out. No leaks. Engine running, in gear, screwdriver to ear (don't recommend this if any of you still have long hair or worse a mullet), no knocks can be heard. I think Brandon maybe on to something. With the engine off and turning the break drum I can hear the knock in the front of the trans. Don't know if its a baring or the shaft or a gear, but when the engine is running and in gear the drum doesn't turn that fast. No sure if I'm explaining this well. Will be going out of town to sister for the rest of this week for Easter in Maryland. Hope its warm. Will continue this sometime next week. 

Thanks for all the help so far,

Chris from Florida 

Also, I'm leaving Thursday morning so I won't be messing with the tractor a lot but I will be checking tonight and tomorrow for any updates.

• Like 2

HorseHead1089

Rebuilding an 8 Speed for a C-111, hopefully no bearing problems/Gremlins after i put it together

• Like 1

squonk

Eric, trying to guess what's wrong with this stuff is one of my favorite things to do.  I am not always correct either, but I have guessed right once or twice.  That is why a lot of people on here think I know what I am talking about.  :ychain:   :)

Chris...we used the screw driver trick back in the service station days to listen for a bad lifter and identify it in the 6 and 8 cylinder engines.  It works like a champ.  :)

Mom was worried about you in your younger days. Going to work in a garage sporting a Mullet. Then she caught you that one day with that screwdriver stuck in your ear trying to diagnose that water pump noise on that Buick with the giant fan. You had that brand new tie on she just got you and it was just bouncing off the fan blades!  :)  Sure were some grumpy faces at dinner that night after all that yelling!  :)  :)  :)

And who here think you know what your talking about?  :ychain:  :confusion-confused:

In all seriousness (I think) Great advise from everyone here.You can also get an inexpensive stethoscope at an auto parts store They work great for those of us who are impaired.  :)

All hail the Dino! trex-3416_zpsldjon2ap.gif

• Like 1

Don1977

I would check the hubs for a worn key-way. If not that, it's time to go inside the transmission something is loose.

I had to replace the roller bearings in my 312 they were making noise in a hard pull, but just a grumbling sound. There is one picture of the transmission open in this tread.

Edited by Don1977
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Chris, you are going to have to decide if you want to open up that trans.  I think you have something going on in there, but with the low hours on that horse, I am not sure what it is...or if it is worth it to go at it.  You could use it for a while and see if it gets worse, but you take the chance that the damage could be more extensive.  If I had that horse before it was making noise, and it started making noise, I'd be going in after it.  :eusa-think:

There are a few threads of tearing into an 8-speed trans in the NEW Reference section...Instructional Threads and Videos...under Transmissions.  Here is a link to one of those threads.  This is a 6-speed, 10 pinion transmission, but it is a lot like the trans you have...has a few videos to watch.  See what you think.

Have a nice week...let us know when you get back.  :)