Dhodge

Sand blast cabinet

Dhodge

Ok if this should be in another section please remove my post.

What is everybody using for a sand blast cabinet?  I have the cheap harbor freight, Central Pneumatic floor model blast cabinet and I don't like the fact that it does not perform as I had hoped it would.  I have tried a couple different media and I cannot get the results I had hoped for or need for my restoration projects.   

I am no expert at media blasting by a long shot, therefore I am hoping that by utilizing a better performing media or perhaps a better nozzle / gun my results will increase.

I have been looking at other media blasting cabinets, however I do not want to drop better than a grand and have the same, lame results.  Can anyone give me some insight and perhaps some knowledge that I may be lacking in this area?

Thanks!

Denny

NJhorses

Just a thought does your compressor put out enough CFM ? 

Pollack Pete

NJHORSES is right.You have to have  a very large cfm output compressor.Also need at least 80 gal. tank.Bead blasting and sand blasting use lots of air.It's the equivalent of having no valve or quick connect on the end of  an air hose and just letting the compressed air escape.I have a  Peterson siphon fed blast cabinet that I run off an ancient Wayne compressor atop an 80 gal tank.Plus another 80 gal storage tank piped in with 1 inch carbon steel pipe and it's marginal.I use the small nozzles from TP Tools.I tried the medium nozzles.....no good.Plus I always try to use medium glass beads from TP Tools. I've seen the cabinets from Harbor Freight.They should work with enough air.Forgot to mention,I run my cabinet through a regulator set at 90 psi.My compressor comes on at 120 and shuts off at 140.Sometimes I have to let the compressor catch up.

squonk

Get a TP Tools catalog and read all the tips. I 'm willing to bet if it isn't an air volume problem then it's the gun. I used. TP gun with carbide nozzles. When you say it isn't performing, what is exactly happening? It takes only a few hours of blasting to wear out the ceramic nozzles and steel orifices. When they wear, performance drops

pacer

Its not gonna be the cabinet - HF or not, its just the container. As already mentioned, and I have to re-stress that you HAVE to have a LOT of air. The gun would likely be the next possibility (I could not get the HF gun to work) Lastly - and least likely is type media.

Air needs to be figured in CFM (cubic feet per minute) My compressor is a 2 stage (almost a necessity) rated at 19 CFM and while it maintains a good flow, it will run constantly. Using a compressor rating based on supplying such and such lbs air pressure means little if it cant maintain the pressure.

I have settled on a inexpensive air siphon gun that I get off ebay for usually $20 and find they do a very good job.

I use fine Black Diamond media from TSC at $8 a 50lb bag, good stuff and cheap.

Dhodge

Thanks for everyone's quick responses.  I am not sure how many cfm I am producing. I have an old Gardner Denver compressor that does not state on the tags, however I am going to take the model #'s and check their website to see if it can help. 

All the tags on the compressor tells me is that it is a 3" bore, 31/2" stroke, speed rpm's of 670 and 150 lbs. per square inch. 

I am able to maintain 80-90 lbs of pressure at the cabinet even though my compressor runs a lot. (on at 100lbs. and off at 140lbs.) I have used 80 grit glass beads from tsc and I have used black diamond abrasive with little difference.  I am thinking possibly that I need to try a better gun with better tips.

Pacer--can you give me a model and brand of the gun you found on ebay?

Kelly

Another thing is moisture in the air if you compressor is working hard it will build up water in the tank and lines, and transfer  it to the media making it not work right.

Dhodge

Thanks Kelley,

I have two water / moisture traps ahead of my blasting box.  1 at the compressor and 1 above my media blast box.  I also ran my air piping straight up out of the compressor 7'.  Does that seem to be enough or could I still be getting moisture?

pacer

This is the type I was talking about ... I discovered them when I was wanting to blast some of the larger pieces outside and liked the way it worked so well I tried one in the cabinets and found they work well there too!

Look through all the listings (sand blaster gun) and see if you can find a version that shows one ceramic tip offered along with the metal ones, I can go through a metal tip quickly using Black Diamond while a ceramic just "keeps on ticking".

r.jpg

Butch

High CFM is the key. Ceramic nozzles are more economical than carbide. Carbide is expensive and they still wear out. They

wear out easier than I though they would. Get your ceramic nozzles from Harbor Freight and after all the wear is done, you'll

be ahead dollar for dollar with those ceramic nozzles.  One other thing is you really need a good filtering system to keep the

dust down. I can't see what the hell I'm blasting! And the damn blasting media wears out. Use sand when ever possible. Just

don't inhale it. It's dangerous stuff I believe.

Pollack Pete

:confusion-confused:  When I was blasting ceramic lasted for just a few hours. Carbide lasted for weeks

http://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-Carbide-Nozzle-Pack,287.html?b=d*8024

This is true.I gave up on the ceramic nozzles long ago.When you don't change the ceramic nozzle in time,the blast media starts to eat into the gun.I wait until the carbide nozzles are on sale at TP Tools and I buy a couple.

jrc0528

I modified my large Harbor Freight blasting cabinet years ago to work with my 20lb pressure blaster also from HF.  I use Black Diamond and was tired of the slow progress.  I have a 4hp 60gal tri-head single stage compressor that maintains a steady 80PSI for as long as I care to blast.  I built a custom gun from a few pieces/fittings of black pipe and use the Type 1 Large tapered ceramic cone nozzles from TP Tools.  For my setup the 3/32" nozzles with the fine grade Black Diamond works best.  

And yes, you'll need a very powerful dust collection/evacuation system to keep up with a pressure blaster operating within a cabinet!!! I'm currently using a 100 CFM fan vented directly outside.   I screen my sand every other time I refill the tank, this dramatically reduces the amount of dust generated.