shallowwatersailor

Utility Trailer Advice

shallowwatersailor

I have the go-ahead, I think, to buy a utility trailer for hauling the tractors. In the past I have just rented from U-Haul which is fairly inexpensive but adds about 1-1/2 hour to each haul. What prompted this is three occasions over the next two months needing a trailer and I think that it is time to have my own.

The smallest that I would get is a single axle 5'x10' up to a 6'x14'. I have priced a tandem 6'x12,' just because. I know that tandem axles are much easier to back. My 5xi are 1100-1200 pounds and 72" long so I would like to get at least a 12' so there is room for additional equipment. There is a manufacturer in MD (Premier) that I am leaning towards due to a few points including wrapping the coupler onto the side, spray paint as opposed to powder-coat, and being a local product built an hour away.

Also, is it worth it to tag it in Maine? I have heard stories of being under greater scrutiny by the Gendarmes/Polizei.

Ken B

Not too much to say about the trailer but I wouldn't bother registering it in Maine, been there done that.. Yes, there will be scrutiny. At least in my neck of the woods.

slammer302

Here's a pic of the trailer I use most of the time its big enough for to pull with my wheel horses and easy to hook up to the truck and run down the road and pick up a new horse I have a bigger trailer to but this little one is all I need 90% of the time21728ecb55e7295c26130a2171e18fa3.jpg

Sparky

If you can afford it buy an aluminum trailer and not just because it will be lighter and easier to tow. My 6x12 Big-Tex is steel and she is rusting badly.

Mike...........

• Like 2

zieg72

I was in the market for a steel floor 16-18 footer to haul the occasional tractor but more for my truck hobby...  I think I went a little over-board???

post-96-0-38044100-1427133741_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-92061100-1427133752_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

baerpath

Depends what state your in as to if it's worth licensing out of Maine. I have a 28ft, 20ft enclosed and 16ft machinery trailer. I can license all three for 5yrs for less money than 1yr for the 28ft and don't have to do NY inspection x's 3.  I run interstate so NY can't say anything even if they do stop me for having a Maine plate.

• Like 1

squonk

I would get the biggest aluminum trailer I could afford that my tow vehicle can comfortably tow.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

If you can afford it buy an aluminum trailer and not just because it will be lighter and easier to tow. My 6x12 Big-Tex is steel and she is rusting badly.

Mike...........

Aluminum seems to add about $1K to the price in this size range, which takes it out of reach. Big-Tex uses a powder-coat paint and why I would prefer a spray finish.

Not too much to say about the trailer but I wouldn't bother registering it in Maine, been there done that.. Yes, there will be scrutiny. At least in my neck of the woods.

Did some research on the Maine licensing. Maryland allows second-plus trailers to be licensed elsewhere as long as for every tow vehicle there is one trailer licensed in MD.

I found a dealer with a Premier 22" solid side-plus-rail in a 5'x10' that I plan on looking at tomorrow. The solid side should provide a little road splatter protection for the load as well. I don't think the additional 12" width of a 6' would benefit me and I haven't found a 12' length in a 5' wide trailer.

Rick_in_CT

Hi John,

I have been using a Big Tex 30SV to move my 5xi tractors around before I sold them.  The trailer is 10 feet in the bed, and as you can see it will take the tractor with two stage blower attached, with a little space left.  I recently delivered the tractor with blower attached, a plow, and 48" cutting deck all in the trailer.  This trailer has worked great for the 5xi's.  Remember to get a spare tire for the trailer, just in case.  I have 6 D-rings in the floor which make tying down easy, all LED lights.  This trailer with the high sides has been great for towing around the yard and loading with brush, which I then take to the town recycling center. 

I rented a 12' dual axle trailer when I picked up the BX with loader, and I had about 6" of extra room.  The BX would easily fit in the Big Tex without the loader, but not with it.  I'm currently looking for a dual axle 14' equipment trailer for the BX.  I don't trailer often, but it is nice to have available when you need it.

Rick

post-8836-0-89852300-1427140834_thumb.jp

post-8836-0-41693100-1427141580_thumb.jp

squonk

Almost all the trailers around me seem to rot fast. Big Tex TSC ect, the paint's bubbling in a year. My trailer is a modded Lowes Sno-Bear brand called Strong Box. Got it 2 years ago used from a friend who used it to haul go karts. Wasn't that expensive new. Round tubing instead of angle and boxes. We made it bigger to haul 2 Horses. Center was wood but I ripped it off and put on diamond plate. 6 ft wide at the narrow part and 8 ft at the wide part. 10 ft Hauls snow good too!  :)  :bow-blue:

post-2380-0-48061600-1427142165_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-49643500-1427142438_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-47521700-1427142483_thumb.jp

Edited by squonk

wh500special

John,

I have a 7x12 single axle and it's been perfect for up to three tractors. I opted for a model without the side rail so I could load sideways without fighting anything but the fenders over the 15" wheels. I prefer no rail. The frame is typically heavier than one with stressed rails.

I can pull it with my full size truck or with my ford edge with no problems. It rolls and tracks easily.

Most important though is getting brakes on the trailer. It makes things safer and definitely provides a sense of comfort and security.

If I had it to do over, the only thing I'd have done differently would have been to tow straight from the selling dealer to a place that sprays rhino lining or something like that. The paint is holding up well enough, but there are plenty of chips from hauling junk and lashing things down with straps and chains.

Big tires and brakes. Everything else is secondary.

Steve

rmaynard

Tag it in Maine. I only have one trailer here in Maryland. I pay $75.00 for a 5 year tag. My brother and all his friends with trailers have been doing the Maine registration for decades. I'm on my second 5-year tag now. I will check in the morning to see who I registered it with. It's a very simple process and totally legal in Maryland.

squonk

Everyone complains about high fees in NY I just paid $12 for my 1 yr reg. so for five years it's $60. Of course you have to go back every year but I found the best DMV office in the state just down the street from work!  :)  :thumbs:

shallowwatersailor

Well, I spent the rest of yesterday doing more searching. I found a Big Tex 5'x10' Vanguard like Rick's two hours away in PA. It's a bit over $2K so really out of my perceived budget. The hard sides and additional usage are tempting. They also have a Big Tex 5'x10' All-Around which has 14' solid sides for $1500.00, and a Big Tex 5'x12' Utility for $1400.00. A Big Tex 5'x10' Utility is $1300.00. I almost feel though that the extra two feet would be more advantageous than a 5'x10'. I believe these all have the Dexter 3500# axle with hubs that will accept brakes and 15" wheels.

If I do go to PA, I probably would opt for Maine as I would need to do the paperwork myself for MD. If I do a dealer in MD, I might fore-go the hassle of dealing with one of the worst DMV's (my opinion) and just pay the dealer the fee for doing the paperwork.

So the question now is "Two Foot-Itis" vs. "Hard Side."

If I had it to do over, the only thing I'd have done differently would have been to tow straight from the selling dealer to a place that sprays rhino lining or something like that. The paint is holding up well enough, but there are plenty of chips from hauling junk and lashing things down with straps and chains.

Big tires and brakes. Everything else is secondary.

Steve

What did you have sprayed, Steve?

wh500special

I didn't. That's where I went wrong. While the trailer was still rust free I should have rhinoed it.

As it is, I have plenty of little blemishes and rust spots from normal use. I think a tougher coating might have minimized long term maintenance.

Steve.

baerpath

Everyone complains about high fees in NY I just paid $12 for my 1 yr reg. so for five years it's $60. Of course you have to go back every year but I found the best DMV office in the state just down the street from work!  :)  :thumbs:

A lot of the cost comes from weight  My light trailer is licensed for 70000lbs, 10,000lbs and heaviest 16,000lbs

The annual fee is $5.39 for each 500 pounds or fraction of 500 pounds, maximum gross weight, with a minimum annual fee of $14.38. The fee is prorated on a daily basis.

Navig8r

I have a Big-Tex, SA-30, I believe... Tube rails, drop gate(mesh) and wood floor.  Rated for 2995#.  Bought it in 2002.. used it for about 5 yrs for my lawn business. After that, it sees occasional use.  It is a great trailer, and I'm very happy with it.  the finish has held up well.

I always would recommend brakes... Nice to have!

As far as reg. goes... I registered in Maine a few years ago.... 5 years for a little less than what 2 would have cost me in NY, and it is continuous... NY trailer registrations expire end of year, so you either renew at full year price, or wait to save a couple bucks, and hope you don't need the trailer on short notice!

bmsgaffer

I  never knew there was such heartache surrounding trailers! I grew up in KY (and all the trailers I use come from there) and they dont require trailer registration. Therefore all the surrounding areas don't really check or care about non-commercial trailer plates.

shallowwatersailor

I live in what I term a Nanny-State. There are more "Nos's" than "Yes's." Then what a Midwestern mind thinks would be logical isn't even considered! 

Edited by shallowwatersailor

shallowwatersailor

This what too much research will do. It may turn out that I just buy off the shelf anyway.

I finally got a chance today to visit a local (3 miles away) builder. I had actually forgotten that they were here! Prices are comparable to other manufacturers and build quality is good. Their main core of building is as a sub-contractor doing custom trailer applications for manufacturers to attach equipment. I was able to see a bare trailer (7' x 14' single axle)  before paint so saw the "bones" first-hand. They can do options probably easier than a dealer as it would be added before the finish is applied. Some options I can think of are: tie-downs, a removable winch mount and roller at rear for the cable, rock-guard, and custom paint. 

Then the thinking really started. I want to stay with a 5' width but I could go heavier with a tandem. By doing a tandem 5 'x 12' I could put two 5xi (probably best to go another two feet to a 5' x 14') on the same load. I could use a 5,000 lb. axle to stay in a single though.There would be a cost savings than a regular tandem because of the smaller width. I am thinking!

On a side note regarding Maine registration, I wouldn't have to pay sales tax as Maine doesn't collect it so that would save money. Another interesting point is Maine requires a minimum of 3,000 lbs to register if I stay with a single axle. As you know, most single axle trailers are 2,995 lbs so they would bump the title to meet the requirement.

varosd

having borrowed a friends 5x10 Aluminum trailer, really liked it.

How about galvanized trailers like the boat trailers?  I have them for sale in my local area

http://www.sure-trac.com/index.php

shallowwatersailor

Don, I appreciate your input The reason that I would not consider a galvanized trailer because everywhere there is a weld, the galvanized finish is removed and you are left with normal steel to rust. With the coating comes more weight and less capacity.  I saw rusting at joints a lot when I was on a fire department plus the two years I sold fire apparatus. Regarding aluminum, the size of the extrusions needs to be increased for the strength and because of that the weight comes very close to the weight of steel. I'm also concerned about corrosion with aluminum, and some builders workmanship when using aluminum.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

KC9KAS

We are going to pick up a new 18' "car hauler" on Saturday.

We will be pulling it to the big show in June....Oh, some Wheel Horses will be in-tow too!

• Like 2

sdhdcouple

the bigger trailer you buy the more you can haul.  the more you can haul the more you can buy.  the more you buy the bigger garage you need.  the bigger garage the bigger the property you have to have.  the bigger the property you have the more tractors you need.  the more tractors you have the bigger the trailer you need.  oh man it is a vicious circle we enter when buying a trailer.  be careful

• Like 5

can whlvr

the trailer builder near me dips the whole frame after its been constructed,we are lucky up here ,for non commercial you only plate it once for 10 bucks,i have 3 trailers and one is 30 years old and still only plated it in 1985,it depends on what your pulling the trailer with also,my skid steer trailer is great behind my chev half tonne up to about 4000 lbs,after that the truck is really working,so don't go too heavy if your tow vehickle cant handle it