can whlvr

nascar today

can whlvr

the 500 ran today,its been a long winter so racing makes me think of spring

• Like 1

mels

Missed the whole stinkin' race.  0900hrs service at Church was cancelled due to weather this morning so we went to the 1100hrs service which set us back 2 hours - 2 hours I had booked for a water storage tank replacement in New Milford so that pushed my day out.  Good news is it was a beautiful day, job went smooth.  Still missed the race though...   :ranting:  

Sparky

I'm not a big race fan but ended up watching part of it. It was nice to see a Connecticut native won!

Mike........

• Like 2

squonk

I don't think you missed a lot. Pretty much follow the leader most of the time for 180 laps. Ending had your complimentary pile ups though!

KC9KAS

With Jeffy saying this is his last year and all the BS on the national news about him racing, if I hadn't watched the race I would have thought he won.

I swear if 24 or 48 would have won, I wouldn't watch another NASCAR race.

I don't have a favorite driver or team, but I do have a few I can't stand. Nuff Said!

Edited by KC9KAS

953 nut

Missed the whole stinkin' race.  0900hrs service at Church was cancelled due to weather this morning so we went to the 1100hrs service which set us back 2 hours - 2 hours I had booked for a water storage tank replacement in New Milford so that pushed my day out.  Good news is it was a beautiful day, job went smooth.  Still missed the race though...   :ranting:  

Glad you held worship as a personal priority. Not too late, Fox Sports 1 will re-air it at 3:00 am and 10:00 am Monday, set your VCR or DVR and skip the advertisements. :woohoo:

papaglide

I haven't watched a race since Harry Gant retired. I tried but most of the drivers I grew up with weren't around anymore: Kulwicki, Trickle, Parsons, Hensley. So much has changed, not a fan anymore. To me it ain't what it used to be.

• Like 3

Ken B

I agree, it ain't what it used to be. I was once a DIE HARD fan but when my guy died on the last lap of the Daytona 500 back in 2001 I lost a lot of interest. All the old school guys are gone and we are left mostly with a bunch of whiney sissy boys.  I do pull for Earnhardt Junior and Tony Stewart when I watch, two of the only guys that are close to old school. Shoot, Tony Stewart won a championship a few yrs. ago as team owner/driver which is unheard of these days. I would have puked if Jimmy Johnson won. I really don't know why I can't stand him, I have always thought he is just an average driver in wicked awesome cars. He never had to pull out a win in a junk car on a mediocre team. Since the day he arrived he has had nothing but the best equipment. 

Back almost 20 yrs. ago I met and talked with Ray Evernham for a few minutes. Being an Earnhardt fan I wasn't a big Gordon fan but my son Jesse was! We all saw each at about the same time and Jesse started shouting Ray! Ray! Ray! and pointing at him. Ray thought that was the coolest thing and walked right up and talked a bit with us. Man did that make Jesse's day. Heck of a nice guy! On our week long vacation in North Carolina we visited at least 20 Nascar shops. BY FAR the nicest people were in Gordon's shop and Earnhardt's shop at Richard Childress racing where by chance we got to meet Chocolate Myers! Myer's really liked my car..

ScannedImage-10-1.jpg

ScannedImage-18.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 3

Eric C

I agree, it ain't what it used to be. I was once a DIE HARD fan but when my guy died on the last lap of the Daytona 500 back in 2001 I lost a lot of interest. All the old school guys are gone and we are left mostly with a bunch of whiney sissy boys. I do pull for Earnhardt Junior and Tony Stewart when I watch, two of the only guys that are close to old school. Shoot, Tony Stewart won a championship a few yrs. ago as team owner/driver which is unheard of these days. I would have puked if Jimmy Johnson won. I really don't know why I can't stand him, I have always thought he is just an average driver in wicked awesome cars. He never had to pull out a win in a junk car on a mediocre team. Since the day he arrived he has had nothing but the best equipment.

Back almost 20 yrs. ago I met and talked with Ray Evernham for a few minutes. Being an Earnhardt fan I wasn't a big Gordon fan but my son Jesse was! We all saw each at about the same time and Jesse started shouting Ray! Ray! Ray! and pointing at him. Ray thought that was the coolest thing and walked right up and talked a bit with us. Man did that make Jesse's day. Heck of a nice guy! On our week long vacation in North Carolina we visited at least 20 Nascar shops. BY FAR the nicest people were in Gordon's shop and Earnhardt's shop at Richard Childress racing where by chance we got to meet Chocolate Myers! Myer's really liked my car..

ScannedImage-10-1.jpg

ScannedImage-18.jpg

Nice ride. I have 2 Montes. A '72 with a BB, and an '07 SS with a 5.3.

Maybe GM will someday produce the longest model ever raced in NASCAR again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMC RULES

Was pushing snow through the whole race...

pushed 138 miles worth, and never left the main gate area of post. 

• Like 2

Ken B

One of my MANY Chevy's was this 70 Monte. It was an original 402 big block 4 speed car.

ScannedImage-4.jpg

• Like 3

squonk

Was pushing snow through the whole race...

pushed 138 miles worth, and never left the main gate area of post. 

Did you have to pit for tires?  :) I remember listening to the race on the radio back in 78 while driving back to school on the NYS Thruway. looked at the speedo at one point and it was buried! :jaw:  :auto-swerve:

Edited by squonk

Brrly1

Not trying to get an argument but I have to believe that there were alot of earlier cars that were probably quite a bit longer. Shall we say the Plymouth "Superbird" or even the Mercury Cyclone or Ford Torino are just a couple of them. Always happy when a Ford wins!!!

• Like 3

Racinbob

John, I think he meant that model was raced longer than any other. I still really enjoy NASCAR but I do miss the days when a Ford and a Chevy were Fords and Chevys and they had to build 500 for street use. These days the cars they run resemble the factory cars like a Piper resembles the space shuttle. :)

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  Back in the day. 

• Like 2

mels

At 50, I'm still a kid compared to some but man do I sometimes long for the days of my youth when growing up in NC I often found myself at Rockingham with Dad and his close drinking buddies at the races.   Started tagging along as a kindergartener, went every time Dad went up till we moved here to CT as a HS Freshman in '78.  Never been back, miss everything about those times, those days...

Ken B

At 50, I'm still a kid compared to some but man do I sometimes long for the days of my youth when growing up in NC I often found myself at Rockingham with Dad and his close drinking buddies at the races.   Started tagging along as a kindergartener, went every time Dad went up till we moved here to CT as a HS Freshman in '78.  Never been back, miss everything about those times, those days...

And who were you a fan of??

papaglide

Lots of great posts here boys!

Burly, I bet Awesome Bill from Dawsonville and his Ford were fun to watch!

Not a Chevy guy but I always thought the BB Monte's were sweet looking.

One of my fondest memories was being down in the pits after a race at Martinsville talking to Jimmy Hensley. When we told him we were from Buffalo, he said " all the way up there? What'cha doin down here? I love them wings." Not to be forgotten was the sight of D*ick Trickle smoking a ciggy and drinkin a can of beer! Seemed like we were all one of the guys. Good times!

Edited by papaglide
  • Like 1

mels

Hey Ken.  Man, that was 35-45 years ago, lol...

I was a fan of all those old guys.  Heck, more a fan at this point of what they did with what they had - or compared to cars & technology today, what they didn't have.

Of course The King was a favorite of nearly everyone I knew, but Cale and the Allisons all those guys it was just different back then.  I guess my favorite wasn't any particular driver, but rather just the time I got to hang out with my Dad and his buds and take in everything that was happening there at the track. 

I lost touch with all that when we moved up here, more especially when I left for the Army in '82.  Served 6 years, took me a couple few years after that to come out of my fog.  I remember being impressed by Alan Kulwicki the couple years leading up to his death, and watching closely Gordon the year he won rookie of the year.  Love him or hate him, that kid could flat-out drive back then.

On the same page as Papaglide, so much has changed.  Like anything else truly good, it's been exploited and commercialized to squeeze as much profit out as possible that they just wreck it.  Heck, ask anyone of today's young die-hard fans if they ever ran 6-bangers in the busch cars and they'll look at you like you've got three heads...

I guess these past couple years I've rooted for Mark Martin, just because.

I watched part of the xfinity race on Saturday over at Helio's (was supposed to be looking over my Wifes' RJ, lol) and you know, I didn't recognize nearly most all the names in that race.

I might as well have been watching curling, I was so out of touch...   :)  

• Like 2

can whlvr

im a fan since I was very young,i agree about not being the same,but I still watch in winter,and Saturday night,my all time fav was the silver fox david pearson

• Like 1

squonk

I remember the early 80's, eatin pizza with Bud Moore on the pits during practice at Pocono and shootin the breeze with Junior Johnson out side of Martinsville Speedway. By the way, those Buick V-6's were murder to your ears when Martinsville had the roof on the front straight

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

19richie66

To quote. "I might as well have been watching curling, I was so out of touch..."

post-9187-0-02667000-1424769543.jpg

Now you're talking. If they could just get sponsors and team numbers on the stones we might have a sport there. Lol

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4

mels

"...Now you're talking. If they could just get sponsors and team numbers on the stones we might have a sport there. Lol..."

Right?  Lol  

Lots of passionate competition in that curling, but I'll bet if they wore helmets they'd keep 'em on their heads rather than throw 'em at each others' cars...

squonk

Austin Dillion looks like a goof with that cowboy hat!

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:    My grandfather was a farmer so I learned to drive mules and tractors, the Dillon boys have a "Pop-Pop" that has a NASCAR team, they will never know the fun I had with my grandpa!  :twocents-twocents: 

• Like 2