N3PUY

Plowing and my WheelHorse QUIT !

N3PUY

There I was ... plowing the first real snow of the season ... ¼ mile from home at the in-laws and the faithful C125 just laid down and quit with a bladeful of fluffy white snow.  The ol' mule hasn't done anything like that in over 15 years.  Aw... come-on girl  ... back to work.  Turned the key .... adjusted the choke and throttle levers ... nope ... not gonna go.  I got off and checked the fuel ... even though I knew it was reciently filled ... and it was nearly full.   I got back on and tried to coax her back to life ... no way.   This is gonna be a long push home ... and it's all up hill.    Well, how about a look under the hood?   So I stand up and flip up the hood.  Woah!  The spark plug wire is off of the spark plug!    The cap is missing off of the spark plug though.   Oh ... it's not missing .... it's in the wire terminal.   How's that possible?   It screwed off of the plug while captured by the wire terminal.  Well, it won't press back on like that ... has to be screwed on.    So I took the wire out of the coil,   screwed the "wire" onto the plug, reinserted the wire back into the coil.  Closed the hood.  Turned the key.   And we were ready to ride again.   

How often does that happen?   Never ever happened to me before!  

• Like 3

alswagg

This happens often on PWC and Snowmobile engines.  We only use solid tip spark plugs, due to this.  Hint, When replacing the spark plug, verify the tip is tight.  Also to get the tip out of the boot, use a sheet rock screw tighten up and pull out with plyers.  Good luck  Al

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

The good thing is that you got it going again on the spot unlike my first plowing of the season back in November with my C-161 Auto. I was turning around right in the middle of the road in front of the house (in the dark) when it went pow and that was all folks. It's not easy to push a hydro believe me, even with the valve open. Pulled the head and found a 1/4-20 nut stuck under the intake valve!

• Like 2

Geno

Sure is good that you could fix it on the spot and drive her home!  :handgestures-thumbsup:   

rmaynard

Never had a tip vibrate off before, but I suppose anything can happen. Guess I'll have to be carrying a drywall screw in my pocket along with my lucky rabbits foot from now on.  :thumbs:

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

I mow with a C-101.I have the same thing happen at least once a year.Even after I tighten the tip down with pliers.Doesn't make any sense..

Lane Ranger

I have had this happen before also.   A surprise when  figure it out and a wonder when you try to see how a vibration can loosen that up so much!

MalMac

Like everything that has threads, it's prone to loosening through heating and cooling. Not that this particular incident is common it can and does happen. Quick thinking on taking off the spark plug lead and screwing back on. Kudos to you.

woodchuckfarmer

A little lock tight will help keep on.

Coadster32

Nice you were able t catch the quick fix before the push home. I've had that happen before too. I had sleds and jetskis and was no stranger to it. I used pliers and locktight.

Stigian

I've had a few spark plug top loosen over the years but never to the point they came off the plug...  Glad it was an easy fix for you :thumbs:

Lagersolut

Not long ago after I got an M10 all back together from rebuilding spent the better part of an hour not getting anything but pops- knocks -spits sputtering etc  ( ruh row ) . Confused, frustrated and defeated it was time to walk away and " think "  for awhile.  Hit me about 4 in the afternoon, remembered after I was done torquing the head, dropped the plug - didn't think anything about it at the time, dropped plugs before .

Went down, pulled the plug  , dam thing must have landed bottom first - ground electrode bent tight against electrode- fired right up and purred like a kitten .

Whewwwwww

ben06351

Good fix. I've had that happen a few times. It's great when the fix is the simple things.

• Like 1

N3PUY

And here's my solution .....  I just boogered-up the threads and screwed the cap on.  I cannot remove it with my fingers now.  Should be good for another 15 years!

post-6866-0-83941300-1421003582_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-50133000-1421003593_thumb.jp