Molon_Labe

Suburban Basket Case

TT

I'm not a betting man, but after seeing the underside of that hood I would put money on that tractor being the one I rescued a long time ago.

It left here around 5 years ago and went to Ft. Wayne, IN.

The only picture I could find:

post-33-0-54181600-1419987557_thumb.jpg

Here's a video:

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Terry I believe you are correct about it being the same tractor, I bought this one from a gentleman in Swayzee, In. this past summer. Even the left foot rest was missing just like the one in your pic. As seen below.

post-13276-0-73148500-1420022111_thumb.j

Thanks for posting that video!!

• Like 1

KyBlue

My suggestion would be for the pitting to use bondo ... For Pinholes you'll need something like AllMetal.

The underside seam ... well you're going to be about the only one who see's it so ... how bad is it going to bother you?? I mean you can grind the welds but ...

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Blue I have about half of the pitting filled now with the 3M which is doing a pretty good job, the biggest down side is the long drying time. I've been putting a light skim coat on and coming back the next day to sand. Slow but steady, I'll post some pics later in the week. The seam underneath doesn't bother me at all and the only thing that will be done with it is a light sanding and paint. Ground out a lot of bondo on some of the deeper dents and got out the hammer and dollies to straighten them out. I've got all winter and then some to finish her up so time isn't a factor but I would sure hate to do this for a living! It also helps that having everything all original is not a priority.

• Like 3

KyBlue

Blue I have about half of the pitting filled now with the 3M which is doing a pretty good job, the biggest down side is the long drying time. I've been putting a light skim coat on and coming back the next day to sand. Slow but steady, I'll post some pics later in the week. The seam underneath doesn't bother me at all and the only thing that will be done with it is a light sanding and paint. Ground out a lot of bondo on some of the deeper dents and got out the hammer and dollies to straighten them out. I've got all winter and then some to finish her up so time isn't a factor but I would sure hate to do this for a living! It also helps that having everything all original is not a priority.

If you ever need a hand ... you're not terribly far away ...

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

If you ever need a hand ... you're not terribly far away ...

I really appreciate that partner, thanks!

AMC RULES

Good lookin' :wh: there.   :handgestures-salute:

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:             That was well worth the wait, you did a great job.             :text-bravo:

• Like 2

JPWH

I just read this thread. Awesome job that :wh: looks very nice.

• Like 2

dclarke

Nice job on your suburban! 

• Like 1

Coadster32

Sharp looking for sure. Great job.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

RedRanger

Came together real nice.  Cool to see an old video of the same tractor.  Wish I knew the history of mine.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who take a long tome to do a resto. Outstanding job :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??
16 hours ago, Hank01 said:

I just read this thread. Awesome job that  looks very nice.

Me also ....what did you use for honing the axle bushings? I used a brake cylinder hone with 220 grit stones but it seemed to take alot of honing. I had gotten a complete set of bearings, bushing & gaskets from Jake Kuhn  for about the same price from motion less the grief of ordering them from motion. Best thing tho I knew I was getting the right ones.  He had warned me about the bushings being undersized.  Also what what your source on the muffler?

Looks reallll nice to us 400 fans.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It does look sharp...nice job.  Any problem with that 3rd gear??  :)

• Like 1

Molon_Labe
10 hours ago, WHX6 said:

Me also ....what did you use for honing the axle bushings? I used a brake cylinder hone with 220 grit stones but it seemed to take alot of honing. I had gotten a complete set of bearings, bushing & gaskets from Jake Kuhn  for about the same price from motion less the grief of ordering them from motion. Best thing tho I knew I was getting the right ones.  He had warned me about the bushings being undersized.  Also what what your source on the muffler?

Looks reallll nice to us 400 fans.

Those axle bushings took a bit of work to get right. Ended up using 150 grit emery cloth taped and wrapped around a deep well socket to hone them out. The muffler in the pics is just a 3/4 npt B&S type but has been replaced since with one of these

stens-l1600.thumb.jpg.bc0220f5486bbd4766

• Like 1

Molon_Labe
On 12/1/2015, 12:24:45, stevasaurus said:

It does look sharp...nice job.  Any problem with that 3rd gear?? 

Thanks Steve! No issues at all with the transmission, 3rd gear is solid as a rock, did build up the shift forks and test the detents before putting it all back together to make sure the gears were engaging fully. I would much rather work on a 2 piece transmission any day!

On 12/1/2015, 10:26:10, Racinbob said:

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who take a long tome to do a resto. Outstanding job

Thanks Bob, you were a great resource with this one. I'm too old to get in a hurry these days which is why I've been over a year getting this thing wrapped up. That and trying to round up all of the missing bits and pieces, kind of like a non-stop treasure hunt.

Edited by Molon_Labe

SylvanLakeWH

Wow!

NICE JOB!

• Like 1