Molon_Labe

DP-861 Disc Find

Molon_Labe

I placed an ad a few months back for a garden tractor disc and pretty much forgot about it until a gentleman contacted me last night and asked if I had found a disc and if not he had one at a very reasonable price. Then he informed me that it was for a Wheel Horse and I was speechless. Here's what I picked up this evening.

post-13276-0-44298600-1414541068_thumb.j

post-13276-0-71743900-1414541110_thumb.j

It's in great condition but the first thing will be a complete tear down, clean up and paint. Then a call to Terry for decals.

• Like 5

KyBlue

that'll be beautiful when you get it all redone ... GREAT score!!!

• Like 1

rollingflat

NICE find MB been looking for a disc myself. Keep us posted w pics of the restore. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

I'll keep you guys updated with pics of the restoral for sure.

Molon_Labe

Progress on the tear down so far.

50+ year old bolts are a real challenge to get loosened up.

post-13276-0-33171600-1414768637_thumb.j

2 cracked bells to order, luckily Brinly uses the same size.

post-13276-0-71113600-1414768896_thumb.j

2 seized gang bushings, thank goodness for the press.

post-13276-0-88077300-1414769045_thumb.j

A healthy dose of rust converter on the good bells.

post-13276-0-45008100-1414769230_thumb.j

Wait for parts! :)

AMC RULES

Humm...     :eusa-think: 

lot's of parts to them things. 

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Humm...     :eusa-think: 

lot's of parts to them things. 

Craig there's a lot more parts than meet the eye at first glance. :)

Major

Geno

Nice piece you got there.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice looking disc.

Thanks for the photos!

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Thanks for the comments guys. With any luck I can start putting everything back together some time next week. In the mean time I have to fab up a replacement trip-lever, the part that sets the gang angle. The original is cast iron and pretty well busted up as the photos below show. Looks like some one took a hammer to it at some point. Never a good idea when working with cast iron.

post-13276-0-73470300-1414838018_thumb.j

post-13276-0-19084700-1414838049_thumb.j

KyBlue

Gotta love it when the previous owners tear it up with copious amounts of stupid...

You'll get it back to better than new

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

Gotta love it when the previous owners tear it up with copious amounts of stupid...

You'll get it back to better than new

If that doesn't sum it up I don't know what does :laughing-rofl:

It seems the previous owners create more work than they fix for the most part. Just part of the fun, huh? Trying to figure out just what the heck they were thinking when they did what they did to tear up a perfectly good piece of equipment :laughing-rofl:

Molon_Labe

Spent the day fabricating a replacement trip lever for the disc. Made from a 3" piece of 1" black iron pipe and a 4" section of 1/4" steel strap, fits great. More to come and thanks for following, I probably should have posted this in restorations section, I just had no idea at the time there were this many problems with it.

post-13276-0-41857600-1414891848_thumb.j

Edited by M_Bailey
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

I had three of those discs at one time and I am now down to one we still use every season for gardening.   It needs restored so I am learning from your restore experience.   What type of paint are your  going to use on the discs?

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

I had three of those discs at one time and I am now down to one we still use every season for gardening.   It needs restored so I am learning from your restore experience.   What type of paint are your  going to use on the discs?

Lane I think I'll paint the whole thing with Rustoleum Sunrise Red. Thought about doing the discs in black but there is some original red them so guess I'll go with the red.

Lane Ranger

I  LIKE THE BLACK -THAT IS WHAT I WOULD DO WHEBN I REDO MINE!

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Today was parts day, the bushings, bells and misc all showed up at once. After originally thinking the bells would be painted red as the originals I decided to paint them with RustOleum hammered black as Lane (thanks) had suggested. Two of the gangs are re-bushed now, two to go (the bushings required fitting to the gangs) and painted now and have the other two soaking over night in solvent to loosen up the 50+ year old combo of grease and dirt.

The 2 bells in the foreground are the ones ordered from Brinly, same diameter but slightly more concavity than the originals. This project is turning into a lot more work than I originally thought it would.

post-13276-0-98125200-1415226798_thumb.j

Edited by M_Bailey
  • Like 1

Geno

It's a lot of work but you are doing it right for sure!   It's come a long way in a short time.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

It's a lot of work but you are doing it right for sure!   It's come a long way in a short time.  :)

Thanks Geno! At this point I could use a little encouragement. Really hope to have everything back together in the next few days provided it stays warm enough for the paint to dry!! :)

• Like 1

KyBlue

You're doing a great job!!

Yeah it's never easy but ... just think how much history you're preserving.... Will be watching for your next update :)

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

You're doing a great job!!

Yeah it's never easy but ... just think how much history you're preserving.... Will be watching for your next update :)

Thanks Ky, you're right about the history of these things because nobody makes one like this these days. Considering it's over 50 years old now my son and grandson should still be using it when they each reach my age. I just hope they have the same appreciation of this old stuff as we do.

• Like 2

KyBlue

Thanks Ky, you're right about the history of these things because nobody makes one like this these days. Considering it's over 50 years old now my son and grandson should still be using it when they each reach my age. I just hope they have the same appreciation of this old stuff as we do.

I have to say, that from what we're teaching the next generation ... they will. 

• Like 2

Molon_Labe

I have to say, that from what we're teaching the next generation ... they will. 

You know, I believe you're right about that Ky. I just gave my last non-Wheel Horse tractor (a JD210 in pretty good shape) to my oldest son (age 42) and he has torn it down to the bare frame all of his own accord which makes me hopeful. (Now he wants a JD110 round fender!!!)

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Today was assembly day but first I had to build up the axles where the discs had spun on them. Drat, out of shielding gas for the welder. A quick trip to TSC and I'm back in business... not quite, the new argon/co2 tank was dry as a bone. Back to TSC, exchanged tanks and was loading the replacement when I saw it was labeled oxygen, one more exchange and they gave me the right gas. Weld, grind and assembly time finally! First step, lock the axle in a vise and start stacking on the parts.

post-13276-0-10049700-1415465628_thumb.j

post-13276-0-68953900-1415465665_thumb.j

After the washers, bells and gangs are all in place, tighten the axle nut and then the lock nut. Test to make sure there is no binding when the discs are spun on the axle.

post-13276-0-20500400-1415465853_thumb.j

The rest of the reassembly was a piece of cake (kind of, a 3rd hand would be helpful at times).

post-13276-0-79113000-1415466005_thumb.j

post-13276-0-99218800-1415466198_thumb.j

post-13276-0-76326100-1415466229_thumb.j

The decal from Terry should be here some time next week and that will finish it off.

I'm gonna hate getting this thing dirty was the first thing my wife said. She's right, as usual! :)

Next project is the 400 Suburban :woohoo:

A note to anyone rebuilding one of these;

There is room for a 12" disc blade on these in lieu of the factory 11" and the 12" discs are half the price Brinly charges tor their 11" disc. If I ever have to tear this one apart again I'll go with a full set of notched 12" discs.

Edited by M_Bailey
  • Like 3

Geno

I was wondering when the next installment would show up, looks great!  I think you should keep that one clean and get another one for a worker.  :text-+1:

• Like 1