Molaker

C-125 model year?

Molaker

I just obtained a Wheel Horse C-125.  If I read the tag accurately, it is a 11-12K802 w/ 28022 following.  That's all I can read on the tag.  It is a black hood with steel fenders. Can anyone tell me what model year it is?

post-14054-0-41452300-1414531497.jpg

post-14054-0-10655800-1414531500.jpg

post-14054-0-97984600-1414531501.jpg

post-14054-0-59365200-1414531504.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Model year is 1984

Garry

Molaker

Thanks, Garry. So, this model was before Toro bought Wheel Horse out, right?

gwest_ca

Toro came along in 1986.

Garry

Molaker

In the world of Wheel Horse tractors, is pre-Toro considered a plus when assessing value?  Actually, I don't know why I would even ask that as I only plan to get my WH up and running and putting it to work. I have a good Husqvarna mower, but need a good mule for towing a heavy trailer full of whatever and occasionally full of grandkids.

Geno

Hello Molaker and :WRS:

Pre-Toro isn't really considered a plus when assessing value, it's more the size, year, make and models that do it.  :)

Edited by Geno

AMC RULES

:text-+1:    :wicked:      :text-welcomewave: 

:text-woo:

AJ_Thanatos

Some of the highest priced tractors that I see are post Toro. The 520's really get up there in price.. 

Is that your first  :wh:

If so, get ready because I guarantee it wont be your last..  :ROTF:

Oh and Welcome to  :rs:

Molaker

As stated, my question about value was more of curiosity than anything else. I have no intention of selling it. I need a work horse around the place. As for being my 1st WH, yes, it is. I had my dad's old 1969 Craftsman up until last year when I gave it to my brother (long story). So, rather than ask for it back I found this WH at my BIL's small engine shop for $50 and decided it would be my winter project.

BTW - AJ_Thanatos, I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief Airdale.

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

As stated, my question about value was more of curiosity than anything else. I have no intention of selling it. I need a work horse around the place. As for being my 1st WH, yes, it is. I had my dad's old 1969 Craftsman up until last year when I gave it to my brother (long story). So, rather than ask for it back I found this WH at my BIL's small engine shop for $50 and decided it would be my winter project.

BTW - AJ_Thanatos, I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief Airdale.

WOW!!!  Awesome deal!!! $50!! 

Well then Senior nice to meet you. And thank you for your long service.

I was a quartermaster on the USS Providence. 

The tractor you have is typically referred to as a Blackhood. The Blackhood model is one of my favorites! I have a "81 C-105 that is a Blackhood. (In my signature) 

Edited by AJ_Thanatos
  • Like 2

AJ_Thanatos

If you plan on sticking around here and want to add the military member identifier you can do it here: 

Molon_Labe

You have a nice :wh: there! :WRS:

Molaker

If you plan on sticking around here and want to add the military member identifier you can do it here: 

I made my profile photo my old '69 Craftsman (sorry guys, but it has been in the family since it was new). I didn't want to use my new-to-me WH because it doesn't have a seat...yet.

As for how long I plan to stick around, it kind of depends on how long I stick around, health being the dictator here. But, so far so good. :) 

I ordered new tubes all the way around yesterday.  That rascal is a bear to move with flat tires. I may replace the front tires soon, but the rear tires may have to do until I find that pot of gold.

I'm getting set up to disassemble the old steed. I'm going to pull the engine and clean it up on a stand.  Then I'll put the tractor on jack stands and pull the wheels.  Then I'll sit back and wonder what I'm doing. :eek:

• Like 1

Molaker

First, thanks, Karl, for the Navy decal.  It's a nice touch.

I have a few more photos of my C-125.  The question I have is, Now what? :)

This WH seems to be in pretty good shape except for missing attachments.  However, since its main job will be pulling a big trailer (yet to be built), this won't be a particular problem.  I wouldn't mind having a blade someday, but I have a good mower and don't want to plant garden anymore.

post-14054-0-24541900-1414796105.jpg

post-14054-0-72025000-1414796128.jpg

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Did it run fine?

I would check the trans oil, make sure it's not milky.

Jparkes43

In the world of Wheel Horse tractors, is pre-Toro considered a plus when assessing value?  Actually, I don't know why I would even ask that as I only plan to get my WH up and running and putting it to work. I have a good Husqvarna mower, but need a good mule for towing a heavy trailer full of whatever and occasionally full of grandkids.

hey whats the grudge against toro tractors hey ;-)

anyway welcome to the forum

joking!!

james

Edited by Jparkes43

Molaker

Did it run fine?

I would check the trans oil, make sure it's not milky.

Run? I don't know.  My BIL owns a small engine repair shop and he had the old WH parked in a pole barn (along with several others of mixed brands) for several years.  But, he said when he parked it there, he drove it there from his shop and thought the engine was sound.  Some guy had brought it in a basket, so to speak.  BIL put it back together and put a new starter on it and never heard from the customer again. Don't know if he died or just lost interest, but that was at least 5 years ago, so BIL just kept it - mechanic's lien.

Don't know yet about the tranny oil, but will check. I assume milky would mean water in it, right?

AJ_Thanatos

Yup your right.. That would mean water. Time to flush it. Lots of guys use kerosene or diesel fuel to flush it. Typically the water comes from a rotted out shifter boot.

Edited by AJ_Thanatos

Trouty56

Hi Molacker.....

If I were you at this point....I would take the tins and carb off the engine....(get carb kit )....plug any openings like the intake and then powerwash it using something like simple green as a grease cutter.... drain the oil from the tranny then hang that carcass that you have left on the cherry picker and do the same thing......  Then power wash the tins you have off.....  wipe any water off using a spray and wipe wax....  change the oil in the tranny and motor when back together....get a new boot for the shifter if rotten.....enjoy!!!!

Oh yeah....take that old mule off the front tachomatic too....lol....doesn't have pulleys any way...save it for a future homemade attachment........

And get a new seat.....

• Like 2

Molaker

Hi Molacker.....

If I were you at this point....I would take the tins and carb off the engine....(get carb kit )....plug any openings like the intake and then powerwash it using something like simple green as a grease cutter.... drain the oil from the tranny then hang that carcass that you have left on the cherry picker and do the same thing......  Then power wash the tins you have off.....  wipe any water off using a spray and wipe wax....  change the oil in the tranny and motor when back together....get a new boot for the shifter if rotten.....enjoy!!!!

Oh yeah....take that old mule off the front tachomatic too....lol....doesn't have pulleys any way...save it for a future homemade attachment........

And get a new seat.....

My sentiments, exactly!  Of course, it's 35 degrees out there this morning and not very conducive to playing in the water.  I did note the shifter boot needed replaced.  Anyway, I was planning on putting the wheels back on today and rolling it outside for a bath - carcass, too.  As for wax, not yet. I've got a little painting to do.  Speaking of paint, I noticed some parts are not the same color.  Most are typical red, but the foot rests, pedals and a few other pieces are more orange. Is this typical?

The seat bolt holes are the standard 7 1/2" x 7". Will probably get one of those seats from Northern Tool unless someone has a better source.  I think I prefer the low back for ease of mounting/dismounting.

How hardy are those ABS or whatever gas tanks?  I guess if there's a crack or hole, a little JB Weld would fix it.

Edited by Molaker

Geno

It is normal to see the cast iron pieces turn more orange, I have a soon to be 28 tear old one that dad bought new that has done that and the tins look showroom.  As far as the tank you can buy a cheap plastic welder from HF or use plastic epoxy from any parts house.  :)

Trouty56

Yeah....jb weld does not hold up too good to gasoline....should be able to locate a tank though.....

• Like 1

Molaker

I took the mule off the front. Then I got to looking and that big ol' mower deck lever which is useless to me (no deck and no plans on getting one) and kinda in the way, so I removed it, too.  I'll bundle them up and store them away for a rainy day.  I noticed one end of the left-side tie rod was worn out and would pop off easily.  Same thing happened to my old Craftsman.  Anyway, I ordered replacements for both sides.  I, also, ordered new tires all the way around and will be ordering a tranny shifter boot and carburetor kit soon.  That should about do it for replacement parts.  I haven't done anything with the engine yet, but it looks like it is going to be good. At least, there is no apparent evidence it has been abused.  Besides rebuilding the carb, I need to change the oil and check the points.  Then I'll probably remount it and fire it up. I'm confident it's going to be an easy job.

The more I look at it, the more I want to get it running and working. I may not be so diligent about restoring and just finish cleaning it, making it mechanically sound and get it going.

• Like 3

Molaker

It's back together and running.  As I had indicated, I was getting anxious to put it to work, so I did not do an extensive redo.  I settled for some new paint in the more obvious areas and the rest of the effort was in the mechanics.  The engine seems to be in near perfect condition.  I changed the oil (which, BTW, wasn't all that bad shape), cleaned out the gas tank and replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and put a kit in the carb, removed the deck lift, adjusted the brake, replaced the tie rods and put 4 new tires on it (I went with turf tread since I don't plan to do heavy work with it).  The local power company replaced my feeder pole (about 40' pole) a few weeks ago and just dropped the old pole in the yard (my request).  I just tied a tow strap to one end of the pole and put the WH in low-low and walked off with the pole.  It didn't even hit the governor.  I'm happy with it.  For about $250-$300 I have a fine addition to my "fleet".

post-14054-0-20672300-1417380768.jpg

post-14054-0-13861700-1417380771.jpg

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

Good work on the C125. I had one of those and was amazed how smooth and quiet the rubber mounted 12hp engine is. I sold it to one of my best friends who wanted to try a Wheel Horse and he loves it. A good running one of these is a keeper. Good luck with it in the future.

Edited by Wheel-N-It