cod

lightly "tapping" the starter motor

cod

Soooo, when one has too gently "tap" ones starter motor in order for it to work, what's going on?  Does the motor need to be cleaned internally?  Does the return spring assembly need to be replaced?  I had taken the starter apart a couple of weeks ago to clean the shaft the engagement gear rides on and while I wiped the interior out to clean it up, I didn't use any electronic clean spray to clean the windings.  Without a "tap" one hears the whirring of the starter but no cranking and a light tap gets it to turn over and fire up.

Any information would be rather helpful as I've never rebuilt a starter before but then again it might be time to look for a new one.

Thanks - Cod

squonk

Be careful tapping. The Kohler starters are permenent magnet motors and if you hit the starter too hard you will break a magnet and will be throwing it away.

dclarke

You might oil the shaft or use a dry lubricant to see if that helps. I think the drive engages with centrifugal force as the starter motor turns.

• Like 1

rmaynard

It does sound like the Bendix assembly is hanging up. Dry lubricants work best as they don't attract dirt.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Those magnets are really brittle.  There is a sticker on the starters that warns you not to tap them.

If the starter is spinning then it must be the bendix hanging up.

AMC RULES

I see all kinds of dry lubricant sprays out there...    :scratchead:

teflon, silicone, graphite..does it matter which type you use?

cod

Quick followup, took the starter off this morning and lubed the shaft with powered grafite.  Thanks for the comments and we'll see if this eliminates the problem!

dbartlett1958

Make sure your battery is good. Bad battery can mimic starter issues.

meadowfield

pretty well every horse I've had has either a sticky solenoid or sticky start bendix. They've all had dings in the cowl where someone has used a hammer!!!!

It's only a 10 minute job to fix too :D

• Like 1

rjcap

The same thing is happening on my C-125. Turn the key and the starter whirrs but does not engage the flywheel. Battery is new this season, checked all connections and before doing much else I tapped the starter with a small set of pliers and she fired right up. Cut for about thirty minutes, parked to get a new beer and the same thing happened. I'll pull it off and clean it and apply some graphite to the shaft tonight. If I do need a new starter I need suggestions please. 

stevasaurus

If the starter is working, but just not engaging the fly wheel...and the Bendix, spring and shaft are all clean and lubed...you might try shimming the starter where it mounts on the engine. Cut a piece of sheet metal to match the mount pattern (or 2) and bolt the starter back up.  This worked on my Raider 10.  :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Happened upon this today...  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

seems like it was made for the job.  

post-3498-0-47980500-1406939903_thumb.jp