Cam-c121

What are your thoughts on this?

Cam-c121

So after the arrival of my second horse I decide it is time for the first one to go and thought I'd make my other the best it could be but after I changed the tie rods I've noticed the steering to be very sloppy and loose and for some reason there is a one wheel slightly points away. What could this be simply just a new set of tie rods ?

Will try and upload a photo of the wheels at some point but photobucket seems to be playing up at the moment

Jparkes43

My steering wheel moves a lot without moving the wheels and it hasn't really affected me so I would say it's not the end of the world but of you want to make it better than I have no idea someone else will have to help.

James

pacer

There are different lengths of rods, did you compare the new with the old? Thats the only thing I can think of to cause different toe in/out.

rmaynard

Did you replace the tie-rods with adjustable ones? If so, set the toe in about 1/8" after you check all the connections, tie-rod to spindle, and tie-rod to steering shaft. Make sure they are tight. Then check the front to back movement of the lower steering shaft. If it has a lot of play, it can be tightened up with shims on the shaft behind the lower steering support block.

Cam-c121

I took adjustable ones off and put non adjustable ones on but I didn't compare the lengths do you think it would affect the value much ?

Anglo Traction

Fixed length Rods are ok, but if there are any inaccuracies in the welded Lower Rod joints, the wheels will be out of line.

Adjustable rods allow the inaccuracies to be compensated for.

Bob's description of shim adjustment above is located in the 'Arrowed' area below the bracket in this pic-

post-3520-0-93278500-1401401524_thumb.jp

or in Illustrated parts format-

post-3520-0-99165100-1401402165.png

I had a lot of problems with steering errors on my 74 C-120/Raider project which I covered in the thread here a while back.