stratostar250

Used a Brinly plow and disc the other day

stratostar250

That's some fun stuff! I plan on making a garden this year.  I'll be honest, I don't have all that much of an idea on what I am doing :handgestures-fingerscrossed: I'd just say don't take any pointers or examples from me! :laughing-rofl: , but hey, we all have to start some where! I got some video and some pictures.  I'll upload some pics here at a later date, but here's the video(s) that my dad shot of me!

Hope you all enjoy! :wh:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Enjoyed your :wh:  video, and the disclaimer. 

Thanks to you and Dad for sharing it. :handgestures-thumbsup:   

• Like 1

WH nut

The most fun you can have with your clothes on :woohoo:

You need to set your coulter wheel just in front of the shovel so it will cut the sod before it rolls over

Edited by WH nut
  • Like 1

stratostar250

The most fun you can have with your clothes on :woohoo:

You need to set your coulter wheel just in front of the shovel so it will cut the sod before it rolls over

It was really a bunch of fun! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks for the info on the coulter.  I knew that it should be straight, but most of the bolts on the plow, sadly, are rusted together, and so almost none of the adjustments are useable until I somehow free them up. :roll: We kicked the coulter wheel out like that, just because its adjustment is loose and dirt and sod was just kinda pushing the wheel around, also pushing it inward, and it was just kinda gathering the dirt in one clump :angry-tappingfoot: .  So thats why it was out to the side like that. There were a couple points where it definetly would have helped though! Thanks!

C-101plowerpower

nice vid, maybe next time you go plowing sand the mouldboard first so it nice and shiny bare metal, the soil will roll better that way, and maybe go a bit slower :handgestures-thumbupright:

oh and next time start in the middle and work round.

Koen

Edited by C-101plowerpower
  • Like 2

KC9KAS

You got the job done!  All in all the garden looks good!

I plowed for the 1st time last year, and I learned that tire chains really make a difference for traction. You may need additional weight too.

Free up the plow adjustments and that may help keep the plow down in the ground.

I have been looking for a disc....lucky you!

• Like 1

WH nut

Here is a picture, I had a few of my kids out today

post-1982-0-34857900-1396816201_thumb.jp

post-1982-0-35043900-1396816275_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rokon

You gotta crack an egg to make an omlette. You got out there and did it, that's what matters. Good luck with your garden and thanks for posting the video.

• Like 1

stratostar250

You got the job done!  All in all the garden looks good!

I plowed for the 1st time last year, and I learned that tire chains really make a difference for traction. You may need additional weight too.

Free up the plow adjustments and that may help keep the plow down in the ground.

I have been looking for a disc....lucky you!

If you are looking for a disk, I don't know if you are looking for a new or used one, but the one that I got, I got from sears, online, on sale around $160.  The online sale is on for another month, (I think) and I feel that they are at absolute BOTTOM price :greetings-clappingyellow: I see used ones going for more.  And you can get it shipped to your closest Sears store for free so you don't need to pay shipping! :handgestures-thumbupright:   I am not sure if they have a massive stockpile of them and are trying to get rid of them, or what, because I feel that normally I can find very decent prices on around the internet, and this is about $40-50 less than anywhere, for a new one!  If anyone reads this, and wants a disk harrow, don't wait, unless I am wrong and that isn't a good price. :eusa-doh: But none the less, thats my :twocents-twocents:

Wheel-N-It

Good Video! I was impressed at how strong the 10hp Kohler is. I love to see the 310's at work. Thank you and Dad for sharing :)

• Like 1

squonk

Plowing a back yard for the first time is tough. Tree roots and what not. Go slower, get some AG's and fill them with fluid. And hang some suitcase weights off of the front did you set the plow up before using it?. This manual will show you how to set up the plow.

http://www.brinly.com/graphics/manuals/PP_51BH.pdf

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Good advice Mike! What you say does make sense :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Maybe tire chains and better set-up on the plow.  The disc did an awesome job.   You "got er dun".    Good luck on the garden , and don't forget to add plenty of HORSE manure.

:thanks:     for sharing the video.

• Like 1

stratostar250

Thank you for all your input, guys!  I really appreciate all the pointers and tips you guys are giving! I'm positive they will really help the next time I do this.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

squonk
Good advice Mike! What you say does make sense :handgestures-thumbupright:[/quote
Good advice Mike! What you say does make sense :handgestures-thumbupright:
If The Dino thinks so it must be so! Although it's "since"
  • Like 1

dandan111

Tractor lugs would help but you got it done pretty well I think.

• Like 1