JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

PTO CLUTCH PIN..GONE..2ND ONE ???????

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok. Here we go. Last week I noticed my PTO clutch pin was missing. So I go over to the toro dealer get a new one. The exact part number for my 416. 11 bucks. For not much of anything. Put it in. Today. Do the snow blower on the driveway. Go to check. The brand new clutch pin is missing. Where did that go? Why did that come out after one use? My brother thinks the bearing is going on that shaft. Frankly it feels gritty a bit. Looked on ebay..25 bucks. Lol

Anyone else have a idea Why? And a cheaper replacement alternative?

Btw..raining now..more snow after midnight.

Thanks fellas. Glenn

oldlineman

TSC has pins a lot cheaper, have had one in my 414 for years.

woodchuckfarmer

1/4" bolt with a self locking nut works good

• Like 1

chazm

Not sure what the problem may be... :dunno:  But you can get a 150 assortment of hair pins for $13 on :techie-ebay:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Not looking for a new hairpin. I have another one. Trying to figure WHY they come off?

And looking for a cheaper replacement for the pto.bearing and shaft. Thanks for replies so far.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Martin

the pto bearing is available at most bearing houses. motion industries has them, i rebuilt my 1057 pto with new bearings. 

here you go.....

not sure if they are they are the same......

Edited by Martin

squonk

Napa has those bearings also. I keep a spare PTO pulley on the shelf. Got it from a parts tractor and replaced the brgs. in it When the original one went in the middle of mowing last year it was 10 min and I was back up and running. Rebuilt the bad one and it's standing by for the next time.

• Like 1

MalMac

Yes it could be the bearing causing too much movement. Also try putting the pin in from opposite way you have been putting it in. I have seen in the past where the movement from the outer bearing lets the pin rub against the PTO and lift the spring latch on the pin up and off. Check your outer bearing for back and fourth play.

SNYFIX

Very possible your outer bearing is going but still interesting why your pin disappears. How is your roll pin in the clevis ?? Don't forget to hand grease your inner needle bearing (with wheel bearing grease) when you rebuild your PTO !!

doc724

I had a similar problem with my 96 314-8.  I went through two pins in the first summer and then finally went to the 1/4 inch bolt solution.  I previously had a c-series machine and had no problems at all.  One observation I made was that on the new clutch pins, Toro eliminated the groove (a cost reduction) that the spring end used to sit into.  Under vibration, the PTO clutch pin will "walk" in the hole until the spring end is up against the U shaped bracket.  Eventually, the vibration will simply just push the spring arm over the end of the pin (since the groove is not there to capture it).  I always installed the pin with the spring latch end facing the operator.  I don't know it it made any difference if it was installed with the spring latch end facing the front of the tractor.  Like you, I got sited of spending $ and went with the bolt solution. 

Don1977

I would look at the c-clips on the short rod that your pin goes through. I think that is the problem with loosing pins unless the bearing is totally apart.

You may still need the bearing if it's rough. I have change the bearing a couple of times and the short shaft at least 3 times in the last 37 years as the c-clip grove was worn and would not hold the clips.

Edited by Don1977

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

ok men, heres where we stand, and first off a thank you for all the comments. Very helpfull when problem solving.

First off when turning the bearing shaft by hand you can feel that starting to get gritty not smooth feeling anymore. Seems trouble is on the way. Also after the tractor sat for a bit after working in, that piece felt warm to the touch. Maybe starting to bind a bit, you guys know thats the start. And when I put the aftermarket new clip on, I did it just like was suggested. the clip on the operator side. And thanks for the other comment,,,,taking the groove and not putting it on the new pun shaft. Makes sense for it to be easier ti WALK from vibrations and such.  It looks that I will just replace those pieces, and I ordered a couple new clips that DO HAVE that groove in the shaft. Will keep you fellas posted, right now getting ready to go to the poconos. Also had the 416 out again this morning to clean last nights snow, only maybe 4 inches, you know what? I had my eyeballs pinned on that new clip, its still there. Thanks again.

Glenn

MalMac

looks like you have zeroed in on the problem. If that outer bearing is not as smooth as a babies behind replace it. Also like said one that end piece looses it's groove to be able to retain the snap ring it's done.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Problem solved. NOS. Pto end bearing and shaft installed. Like a baby's behind. Also installed new bearing on old end shaft for backup. And looks like perfect timing. Weather guy saying 12 inches plus of. Snow on its way.

Glenn