JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

10 inch plus...thrower chain broke. yikes

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What a start.. go out on the 416. Rigged and ready. Don't even finish the first pass. There's a couple baseball size goose egg stones in the driveway. The Mrs drove off the driveway coming home. The rest of the story you can guess. I am soooooona mad. Grrrrrr. I have a toro dealer a mile away. Hope he has a chain. Hope the auger is ok. We were unstoppable.

Glenn

post-12073-0-18031800-1390348603_thumb.jpost-12073-0-30352700-1390348641_thumb.j

varosd

Ouch!   pretty sure you can use TSC or other hardware store chain.  others will chime in on size and length

smoreau

#40 roller chain, buy in bulk and change every few years. lube it with some oil a few times during the snow season also.

Edited by smoreau

Sarge

Amen , just get a box of #40 roller chain and a few half/repair links as well as a few master links . I've repaired my old box style one and even had to cut and replace the auger sprocket due to rocks jamming it . Nice part making your own stuff - you can re-gear the ratio a bit , mine throws snow into the next zip code . Need to upgrade the auger's internal bearings to a heavier style - the OEM's aren't designed for that rpm's .

Sarge

• Like 1

WH nut

Count the links if you have all the chain

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks fellas. Will Keep you posted. Could have been worse.

Glenn

Kelly

Check your idler sprockets before you get the chain, now is a good time to replace both of them, TSC has them here at least

Shuboxlover

Don't get too mad, I know it's a bummer when you're all fired up to use your horse and then you can't....it's an easy (and relatively inexpensive fix)  TSC in my area had the chain and links as well...

Row Cropper

Reminds me of a few years back, we had a forcast for 12" snow, so I went out the night before and mounted the blower to my C-141 and backed it in so she was ready to go.  Next morning I looked out to a whole bunch of snow, yippee!  I got all bundled up, trudged out to the "horse barn", fired up the C-141 and took off throwing snow for who tied the pup!  Went about 25' and the drive belt to the blower broke!!!!!!!!!  Couldn't get out to go buy another one, so backed the C-141 into the barn, took the blower off and mounted the trusty blade.  We got the job done, but took a lot longer and a lot more effort!  What's that old saying, "the best laid plans of mice and men"!

• Like 1

baerpath

Keep spares on hand, I have an extra chain and drive belt for that just incase time.  But I also have I think 4 showblowers in the barn also plus the 2 stage Just in case ya know

• Like 2

can whlvr

I use the old roller chain on my front tires

squonk

If you use TSC sprockets, they are a slightly larger dia. than stock so you need to add an extra link.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Count the links if you 

I just counted the links,,,52.

Bulk chain, normally 10 ft. length is pricey,,from 25 to 50 bucks on a quick search today,,not counting the price of master links,,half links,,,anyway not done with this yet.

Spent today with walk behind,,and shovel doing the mop up work,,we got a total of 12 inches plus drifts.

Darn it,,,,I really missed my wheel horse fun time.  Thanks for the comments guys. 

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Rick_in_CT

10 feet should run about $20.  NAPA around here is $18.  When you make up the new chain, take five more minutes to make up your "spare" chain.  I take the second one and put it in a zip lock bag with a couple of extra master links.  I know that the chain will never break unless its freezing cold and I have a lot of snow to move.  The last thing I want to do at that time is count links and cut chain.  Keeps the blood pressure a little lower when the @#%& hits the fan.  It's cheap insurance.

You did better than us, I only got about 6" here in CT.

• Like 5

dwayneGT

And remember,don't over tighten the chain either it's not like tightening a v-belt the chain needs a little play. you'll wear out the sprockets faster and the auger sprocket is welded on.

Forest Road

Do yourself a big favor and inspect all bearings and sprockets. Probably time to replace them. Teeth on chain drive equipment, bicycles too, gets worn to a sharp point by worn out chains. For the price of chain it's cheap enough to slap a new one on every couple of years. Versus all new sprockets.

Wheel Horse Kid

Yike! That does not look good. It least it is replaceable! :) I agree, while you have the blower apart, you should check out the other things too. I just replaced the shaft bearings on my blower and I am glad I did cause it completely fell apart when I took it out...

Edited by Wheel Horse Kid

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just a fwiw. Found a local place. Actually a old wheel horse dealer 55 years in business. Makeing a chain for my snow thrower $50.

Glenn

WH nut

Just a fwiw. Found a local place. Actually a old wheel horse dealer 55 years in business. Makeing a chain for my snow thrower $50.

Glenn

For 50 bucks I would make them all day long.

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

:text-yeahthat:I guess not everyone has the tools , places to buy things , or know how to make the things these horses need from time to time. So even though this is a steep price for chain, he might just be greatful to have it back and working again. Its actually about right for what toro would charge. I wouldnt pay that though , but I am cheap lol .  Back in the corner... :hide: .

Kyle

Forest Road

For $50 you can buy 10' of chain, a chain break tool, extra links and have change for a 6 pack.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

For 50 bucks I would make them all day long.

Me to,,,,,LOL. That gave me a good laugh. I got a call from the shop before, right before they were closing. Rob the owner says Glenn will have it done tomorrow around ten, come and pick it up.

Will let you guys know the final bill for laughs, I am darn sure NJ sales tax will get added to that $50.

Glenn

Edit: plus  i want to add this. I dont have the correct tools to do the job. Never did a chain before. If I see  them ever at the flea market or something time to buy them. With Wheel Horse ownership I can see differant tools being added for things. Right now in winter just want the snow thrower up and running again. Thats tomorrows chore. 

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Rick_in_CT

Hi Glen,

If you have never done a chain before, save the old one and you can practice on it.  All you need is a vise (to hold the chain), a file (to remove the head of one of the pins), a nail (to drive out the pin), and a hammer (to hit the nail!) and you can get the job done.  I didn't look, but there are probably videos on youtube on how to cut chain.  If you do it a couple of times you can get pretty good at it.

For now, pay the man and get the machine up and running, you don't want to miss out on any seat time.

Rick

WH nut

For $50 you can buy 10' of chain, a chain break tool, extra links and have change for a 6 pack.

You drink expensive beer, I would have enough for a case.

• Like 1

roscoemi

Just blew up my new chain on my blower. :banghead:  I'll make another in the morning.