timo4352

The "My other hobby " thread

nylyon

That is a magnificent looking machine!  Good call John, I had a friend who was diabetic and wasn't as lucky.

dodge78

Anglo - Traction, kiser or meadowfield......here is a challenge....Just saw a RC pushing snow in a video.... Well, here is something that I know can be made... Would take several hours, but it would be awesome when complete.

A remote control Wheel horse, with a mountable snow blower that actually works......What say ya? Think it can be made?

Easy, if you have the $.

Repurposing can be a hobby.  Here is the latest almost completion (I need to add a usb port to charge the game controller).  A futon, Grand Prix seats, an old center console and a computer ups. Cost $3.50 for the paint.  The green switch controls the outlets on the back.

th_P1020281_zps16d4071a.jpg

th_P1020282_zps9016216f.jpg

th_P1020285_zps360bde01.jpg

th_P1020283_zpsfe6273fa.jpg

Rollerman

Other hobbies?

Well when I'm not on a roller chasing a paver around, or locating...unlocated gas lines drilling.

I spend my time mowing, riding ATV's, flea markets & garage sales with my wife in our cart.

I'm also a firearms enthusiast.

20131201_150227_zps989b9855.jpg

20131012_172008_zps048e1f4b.jpg

20131019_175214_zps72d3051a.jpg

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

Anglo - Traction, kiser or meadowfield......here is a challenge....Just saw a RC pushing snow in a video.... Well, here is something that I know can be made... Would take several hours, but it would be awesome when complete.

A remote control Wheel horse, with a mountable snow blower that actually works......What say ya? Think it can be made?

i've been thinking about that for a while now. maybe gonna do that some day

• Like 1

Racinbob

I've dabbled in R/C planes and even had one last quite a while without a rebuild due to.....well.....you know....a less than perfect landing. For me, building the plane was as much fun as the flying. But woodworking and firearms have been a lifelong love. My wife love my woodworking hobby since it shows around the house. I just completed what was going to be a facelift in the master bathroom but ended up being a complete gut job down to the studs. Some of them even had to be replaced. There's not a room in the house that hasn't been remodeled to some extent.

My other love is firearms. My wife tolerates it but wouldn't care if never bought another one. I'm a NRA Certified Instructor in pistol and reloading and a RSO. I do quite a bit of training and CWP classes. Most of it is strictly for the love of it and not something I'll accept pay for.

• Like 1

kaiser

it could be done for sure. there's already a huge following for r/c construction equipment, dozers, backhoes, dump trucks, 18wheelers. you'd just need a bunch of parts from various existing models and bulid a frame from fiberglass/carbonfiber/aluminun. i might have to try it someday. the snowblower would be tough, but a blade is no problem, even a FEL.

Edited by kaiser
  • Like 1

C-101plowerpower

it could be done for sure. there's already a huge following for r/c construction equipment, dozers, backhoes, dump trucks, 18wheelers. you'd just need a bunch of parts from various existing models and bulid a frame from fiberglass/carbonfiber/aluminun. i might have to try it someday. the snowblower would be tough, but a blade is no problem, even a FEL.

you mean like a model? i was thinking about remote controlling an existing wheel horse

Koen

• Like 1

kaiser

lol, a real one? well that would take some serious $$ in gizmo's. you'd need huge servo's (motorized acutators) to operate the controls, but you could probably get it done with a 6 channel controller.

actually if you disconnect all the pedals, controls and such then you could mount servos behind the scenes.......

it's making my brain hurt, and my wallet is cringing but i could totally do this, $$ pending. lol

C-101plowerpower

lol, a real one? well that would take some serious $$ in gizmo's. you'd need huge servo's (motorized acutators) to operate the controls, but you could probably get it done with a 6 channel controller.

actually if you disconnect all the pedals, controls and such then you could mount servos behind the scenes.......

it's making my brain hurt, and my wallet is cringing but i could totally do this, $$ pending. lol

i actually tried some things already, but since i've got a manual transmission i dont think it work that well. i used a windhield wiper motor to press down the pedals and that worked:)

Anglo Traction

Sorry for belated reply,............. got lost in the other Forums. 

Yeah !, I'm sure it is possible, if like has been said...you can throw a lot of money at it.  It has already been done though with full size cars (2007-ish)!.

You only need to think where there might be a bunch of renowned English Petrol Heads and come up with Top Gear UK.

Here's an example, enjoy -  http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CHQQFjAN&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flixxy.com%2Ftop-gear-rc-cars.htm&ei=Z92wUv-nLo-ShQfpioDYDg&usg=AFQjCNGqmG-vhohWuwlrTYQ1Lg2LxmjGvQ   .

Lots of terrific hobby and pastime skills on here and never tire of seeing the great things produced and interests persued   :bow-blue: .

AMC RULES

Throttle and steering would be easy enough...

shifting gears would be the challenge.   :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Rollerman

My mind has always been more ambitious than my hands... :helmet:

I toyed around with a RC WheelHorse at one time.

Plans were to use a pair of car window motors for the steering & to control the DCL on a hydrostatic tractor for channel 1 & 2.

The 3rd channel would operate a simple idle/WOT solenoid....all done with a kill safe incase thyings got hairy.

i actually tried some things already, but since i've got a manual transmission i dont think it work that well. i used a windhield wiper motor to press down the pedals and that worked:)

AMC RULES

Not a wheel Horse but VERY cool!! Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPg1ZMiC9pA

Appears Steveasaurus has been outsourced...   :hilarious:

notice in this "around the block" video...this thing doesn't wear socks either.  

RMCIII

Sorry for belated reply,............. got lost in the other Forums. 

Yeah !, I'm sure it is possible, if like has been said...you can throw a lot of money at it.  It has already been done though with full size cars (2007-ish)!.

You only need to think where there might be a bunch of renowned English Petrol Heads and come up with Top Gear UK.

Here's an example, enjoy -  http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CHQQFjAN&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flixxy.com%2Ftop-gear-rc-cars.htm&ei=Z92wUv-nLo-ShQfpioDYDg&usg=AFQjCNGqmG-vhohWuwlrTYQ1Lg2LxmjGvQ   .

Lots of terrific hobby and pastime skills on here and never tire of seeing the great things produced and interests persued   :bow-blue: .

That is not a 1/4 scale. What I am suggesting is a full 1/4 or 1/8th scale model.. Completely operational with hydraulics. The detail on it would be outstanding. I know the talent lies in the RS team... I would be willing to donate to this project. Karl??? This could be something that could be auctioned off at the annual Wheel Horse event..... Put the proceeds back into RS....and another model..

• Like 1

kaiser

1/8 scale would be easier, the electronics to run it would be more reasonable. but if it was 1/4 scale then you could use a mini 4 stroke engine.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

by the way, i have one off these

richard36-albums-serpent-cobra-en-spirit

bowtiebutler956

Wow, you guys got alot of other cool hobbies! My other hobbies include vintage Briggs engines from the 30's- 50's, as wells as mini bikes that I build with my sons. Here are a few.

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-09008800-1387595522_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-14422100-1387595571_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-33585800-1387595609_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-66361100-1387595639_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-92744900-1387595660_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-47641400-1387595705_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-55716900-1387595740_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-87565400-1387595821_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-01857800-1387595853_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-68016400-1387595879_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-97117500-1387595959_thumb.jp

• Like 4

RMCIII

Matt - so besides restoring GT's that were left to you, restoring engines also??? Wow nice work... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Racinbob

I love those old engines bowtie. Is the long lever on the engine in the fourth picture used to start it?

I've already mentioned one of my other hobbies, firearms. I just can't resist posting a pic of one I just completed yesterday. I should say, almost completed. I still need to get another 1/2" Forstner bit turned down to .404" and install S&W medallions on the grips. This is a 1972 S&W Model 67 that was a Yolo County Sheriffs duty revolver. It had the usual beating and banging marks as do most duty guns. I just enjoy making them look pretty again and, of course, shooting them. I'm thinking about seeing if I can find out who was issued #55.

post-8408-0-97454100-1387627486_thumb.jp

RMCIII

Well here is the can of worms I am getting ready to open.... Hobbies, I have many, that include trains, guns, cars, event staging for fun even though this is also falls in line with my profession. Trap shooting. Maybe one day, I'll visit Vandalia Ohio, as an invitation to compete with the best... :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl: But here is another hobby of mine that probably should receive more of my attention than it does, poetry:

Did you stop to listen to the cry?

Of a newborn baby, before they’re dry

Did you stop to hear the gentle rain?

Hitting the ridge, of a window pane

Did you stop to embrace the warm sunrise?

Before its sunbeam begins, to brighten the sky

Did you stop to help a stranger today?

Because they are lost and gone astray

Did you stop to smell the fragrance of a rose?

Its aroma sweet as it tickles your nose

Did you stop to glance at the heavens above?

Where a father awaits to embrace with love

Did you stop to acknowledge God’s mercy and grace?

Each day renewed to help with life’s endless pace

Did you stop to thank the Lord Above?

For giving His Son as a ransom of love

Did you stop to think where you would be today?

If God had allowed Satan to have his way

Did you stop and pray to the Lord above?

For all He has done by the power of One

Did you stop to recall all the things of today?

God allowed in your life to help others find their way!

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

That is not a 1/4 scale. What I am suggesting is a full 1/4 or 1/8th scale model.. Completely operational with hydraulics. The detail on it would be outstanding. I know the talent lies in the RS team... I would be willing to donate to this project. Karl??? This could be something that could be auctioned off at the annual Wheel Horse event..... Put the proceeds back into RS....and another model..

Sorry , I missed your drift in the scale/size ,  threw me :hide:  .

Yes the bigger the scale, the easier it will be for working detail. 

I have been chewing this one over now for some time, and it's on my list of things to do, but not with R/C in mind.

Thought about a Trophy type Desk Top Scale Model about 1/6th. Depends which WH model is used as the subject though.

Have looked around for drawings, but only found TT's excellent ones in the Gallery area.

Lots of challenges with parts sizing. Biggest challenge would be Tires. I've done several worldwide searches for 'ready made' , but not a lot of quality or size choice.

I can get RTV Rubber for casting, but would have to make the complex patterns/moulds. Making the Formers for the Tin work should not present an issue.

If I was to do one, I would prefer to use Nickel Silver Sheet for the Tin work (have some left in stock), but hard to get now.

It takes primer/paint well and is easy to have Plated .

I can make proper nuts and bolts down to 0.050" across the Flats, so should be able to keep to scale in most things.

........Looking at your list of interests, you ain't gonna get bored anytime soon! :bow-blue:  

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

truckin88

Before tractors it was guitars and bass and still is. More bass than guitar, but still love both here is some of the collection....there are more...easier to hide from wife than tractors.

20131221_103727_zps9436ae2d.jpg

Anglo Traction

Wow, you guys got alot of other cool hobbies! My other hobbies include vintage Briggs engines from the 30's- 50's, as wells as mini bikes that I build with my sons.    Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-68016400-1387595879.jpg

Hi Matt, Just curious. Is the Fuel drawn up by vacuum to a Spray Bar in the Carb on this Smart one?. As I also see there is no Fuel Bowl visible ...... They are ALL great looking Engines. Like the 'Carry Plinths' too :bow-blue: