JUSS10

do I need a solenoid for a starter generator?

JUSS10

My dads 854 is in need of a rewiring job. The key switch went out quite a while ago and we are currently using a push button with a kill switch for the ignition. I would like to go get a universal ignition switch from the auto parts store but was wondering if i needed a solenoid or not. looking at the original schematic it didn't use one. The switch i am looking at is rated to 15 amps. Does anyone know what the original ignition switch was rated to? Will 15 amps work?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Motormite-15-Amps-starter-switch-key-style-metal/_/N-2666?itemIdentifier=600775&_requestid=2102553

Thanks,

Justin

Martin

I converted 2 of my starter gens to solenoid. Takes the amperage load off ignition switch. Don't have time right now to find the threads but if you search on rs I documented an install in a dedicated thread on my 1277 and there's mention of it in my 1057 build as well......

Most would recommend doing it I would think.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

rmaynard

In 1961, the 701 had a solenoid for it's starter/generator. Then in later tractors, for some unexplained reason, it was eliminated in favor of the high amperage switch as Martin stated above. If it were me, and I wasn't concerned about keeping the tractor true to original, I would use a solenoid.

pacer

I recently completed a major rebuild on mt 1054 and one of the first things I promised myself was to get rid of the strange method of using a key switch to activate the starter and go to the much more sensible solenoid method. With one of the generic solenoids and a generic switch and a minor rewire you should be able to get it done for some $20-25 and have a much better setup.

• Like 1

JUSS10

I found a solenoid sitting around in the barn and I plan to pick up a new key switch after work today. Made a few new battery cables and plan to rewire the whole thing plus add a switched accessory plug out the back for the sprayer. 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

woodbird007

I was planning on changing to Solenoid starting circuit for my 875, but am unsure where to mount it. Pretty tight on those short frames between battery and starter. Ideas?

Martin

Mount it behind the hood stand.use longer bolts through the lift lever cast bracket. There is a thread or two of mine on here with pics of one mounted.

post-4321-0-50788400-1381789869_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Racinbob

I agree with the others. A solenoid makes much better sense even if you have a switch that can handle the current draw. As rmaynard said, it may not be original but you can always convert back easily. The solenoid can be mounted where it virtually hidden.

• Like 1