Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

My brand new 48" rotary mower

JamesBe1

I wonder if now is the time to think about coating the underside of the deck with something super tough.  You'll likely never have this chance again.  Just a thought.

Fordiesel69

I wonder if now is the time to think about coating the underside of the deck with something super tough.  You'll likely never have this chance again.  Just a thought.

Yes now is that time.  I just got a 2000's vintage replacement 48" and it is showing signs of bubble & rust.  So this winter it will be stripped down and redone.

RMCIII

Here is a photo of an 18 year old deck. Yep, a little anal keeping it clean, in order to keep it in this condition. Regardless, it helps to reduce need, to look for decks in the near future.

post-10322-0-51600200-1371680524.jpg

RMCIII

Oh-yeah, been on the tractor since 1998. So, you could knock 1 year off the mfg. date of the deck.

B-8074

I pulled that same trigger last month on the same deck. I couldn't believe how quite it is compared to my old one. 

papaglide

I agree, its super quiet compared to my old 42" it cuts awesome. Is the chute configured the same way on yours?

Edited by papaglide

B-8074

I didn't install it. 

Aussie

I bought a couple of nos 42" decks a few months ago. A dealer found them in their loft when they were having a clean up. One is a 42" RDD shell. I'm not sure what it fit as it has a couple of brackets welded on top that my 42"RDD doesn't have. I can cut them off though.

post-3437-0-96315800-1372204653_thumb.jp

post-3437-0-60669800-1372204696_thumb.jp

The other is a 42"SDD from 1985 that has been robbed of a spindle and a couple of other parts.

post-3437-0-63593900-1372204885_thumb.jp

post-3437-0-78339700-1372204913_thumb.jp

post-3437-0-58233200-1372204954_thumb.jp

BOWTIE

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS A TORO DEALER. THEY BOUGHT SIX 42" AND SIX 48" DECKS. HE TOLD ME TORO TOOLS UP AND MAKES WHEN NEEDED.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

papaglide

Thats interesting, and good to know. Maybe these decks will be available for good long time to come then.

RMCIII

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS A TORO DEALER. THEY BOUGHT SIX 42" AND SIX 48" DECKS. HE TOLD ME TORO TOOLS UP AND MAKES WHEN NEEDED.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

What does that mean? If enough Toro/Wheel Horse owners demonstrate a need they will start producing the requested product again?

JamesBe1

BOWTIE IN OHIO

What does that mean? If enough Toro/Wheel Horse owners demonstrate a need they will start producing the requested product again?

If that's the case, then I might add my name to the list of buyers.

Fordiesel69

What is the legal rights, and is it even possible for someone to reproduce these shells?  Whether it be now or when they become obsolete. 

It is my beleif that aftermarket shafts / spindles / blades / rollers / wheels are all adequate quality if treated right, however when you are forced to mow wet grass, the shells will rot out even with the most OCD care. 

RMCIII

Diesel69 - It's really not the wet grass that is rusting out the shell. What it is a result of, is debris. Rocks, sticks, pine cones, ect. These items chip away at the paint from underneath. So, add to a chipped underside, a few wet mowings, and you have surface rust starting. Care and cleaning has kept the deck on the 518xi in very good condition since 1995. It is possible to keep them, longer than what you may expect, but it does take some OCD care to do so.

gwest_ca

I thought there was a comment here about the height of the new decks but can't find it. Came across this

93-9264 for the 42" rear discharge model 78351

93-9265 for the 44" side discharge model 78346

93-9266 for the 48" side discharge model 78360

All have their own parts lists but share an installation instructions manual here

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Use the word none for a serial number.

Is this their answer for a short deck?

Garry

matt ford

I like to look on Craig's list and get them cheep and fixed up

Wheel-N-It

I low hour 48" SD deck at the show in Pa. last month. I already have two that are in excellant condition but wanted one more just to put away for the future.