Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Paint Spray Gun recommendations?

Kevbo

As we approach the warmer weather I am looking toward investing in a new Paint Spray Gun. My harbor freight version last year performed quite poorly so I would like a decent quality gun about under $100. I was checking out some guns on both Amazon.com and TPTools, but wanted all of your recommendations? Also what size mm nozzle for spraying primer and Rustoluem Regal Red?

Thanks guys!

Agage1

I've had good luck with home depot's hvlp gun believe it or not. I've painted 2 tractors w ith it now and they both turned out good. I also have an ingersoll Rand gun from tractor supply that performs well too.

buckrancher

I have the DeVILBISS starting line HVLP 2-gun set and have very good luck with it

Brian

Kevbo

I have the DeVILBISS starting line HVLP 2-gun set and have very good luck with it

Brian

Looks nice! Found it on Amazon.

Kelly

If your trying to paint with the little compressor you have in the blaster post, no gun is going to help, you need a bigger compressor, I have 3 of the cheap harbor freight guns and they shot just fine, not high $$ guns but do the job, but I have a 60gal. 5hp compressor.

This was painted with a HF $9 gun

100_3760.jpg

• Like 4

Terry M

If your trying to paint with the little compressor you have in the blaster post, no gun is going to help, you need a bigger compressor, I have 3 of the cheap harbor freight guns and they shot just fine, not high $$ guns but do the job, but I have a 60gal. 5hp compressor.

This was painted with a HF $9 gun

100_3760.jpg

Very Nice Paint job Kelly.. I need to buy a new gun this spring so i'll check out the ones mentioned above.....but i'm guessing that hood looks so nice just because your a very good painter!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :handgestures-thumbupright:    Any painting tips you care to share?

Kelly

Practice, practice, practice......... you get the idea, yes 30 years of painting helps, but with a little practice and not expecting perfect the first time, you can get a good paint job, this hood was painted in the sun, in the dirt driveway, with a cheap HF gun and a cheap worn out 25 year old compressor, best part about the cheap HF gun, you can buy a warranty for $2 that even covers if you let paint dry in the gun and it stops working they just give you a new one, I bought 3 guns one for primer one for color and a back up so if I have a problem, I can break out a new gun and not stop painting, they were on sale and I had a 20% discount so they were about $9 each. 

varosd

great posts!  So if we stick with the $100 limit on a spray gun, what would be the compressor requirements to match said gun?  60-80 gallon, 3-5 hp range?

squonk

More than $100 but I use an TP Tools Turbine HVLP system. All I need to spray is 120 Volts! :thumbs:

http://www.tptools.com/Showtime-90-HVLP-Turbine-Unit-with-ProLine-Paint-Spray-Gun,2994.html?b=d*8049

tp-90pl_R_18b9289d_zps8b8aa420.jpg

Edited by squonk

Shynon

Kelly

What kind of paint are you using? Clear coat?

Thanks Tom

Kelly

That paint was single stage auto enamel, I wish I would have used clear coat on that color, it was a PAIN to get the pearl and metal flake right AND get a shine, but I did it.