Sign in to follow this  
Zeek

Electric Log Splitter Evaluation

Zeek

I know electric log splitter = homo :!: and normally I would agree, but hear me out on this one . . .

I have a regular fireplace that we use every weekend. I used to split all my wood (pine, oak, locust) with a borrowed 3 ton wood splitter and then split down from there (for kindling and such) with and axe.

After damaging my concrete garage floor and wood deck while splitting, I decided to try an electric wood splitter after much research (didn't want to hassle with ANOTHER engine to maintain for the little I use it.)

Most all the splitters in the 4-6 ton range are jap made. I found the best deal through Sears for $240. It arrived TRASHED by UPS . . . I could tell from the outside, so I started to take pics as I unpacked. DO NOT BUY THIS SPLITTER . . it's a POS.

IMG_20130211_173346_818_zps8dba9e2d.jpg

IMG_20130211_173358_467_zps6ef3e7fd.jpg

IMG_20130211_173545_627_zps133a9871.jpg

IMG_20130211_173737_911_zps9d876bcd.jpg

IMG_20130211_173754_127_zpse3574c3a.jpg

IMG_20130211_173816_307_zps2be53dd9.jpg

IMG_20130211_173919_225_zps1efee38d.jpg

I dropped it off at Sears and said "give me my money back" which they did. No they don't stock another and Yes you can reorder in the same crappy shipping container . . .no thanks.

The ironic thing is I walked into The Christmas Tree Shop (Harrisburg, PA - my wife forced me) a few days later and found this little gem on CLEARANCE for $199. It was a nicer model, came with a 4-way splitter, one-handed operation and worked GREAT!!!! I would not try to split wood to heat my house with this, but it worked GREAT on 14" long logs as big as 20" diameter! Trust me, I'm a "there is no replacement for displacement" guy, but used within it working capacity, I'm impressed!!! I stopped at Home Depot an Harbor Freight the same night and your not spending less than $299 there (and for a lesser model at TS - the model they have on their website is not what they now carry in PA).

IMG_20130212_211805_854_zps69762872.jpg

IMG_20130212_211829_366_zps39e1f4ae.jpg

IMG_20130212_211836_675_zps1cbef956.jpg

IMG_20130212_211852_528_zps3a6c9e0e.jpg

IMG_20130212_211905_023_zpsdabdad37.jpg

IMG_20130212_211912_110_zpsc9c81311.jpg

One of the best $200 work saving toys I ever bought.

I know there are a thousand opinions about 35 Ton big dog engine powered hydraulic splitters . . . I've used them and know they can split even something as hard as a coal turd produced by Nancy Pelosi, but if need some occasional, you may want to look at this :)

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

perry

lets see a video of that bugger in action. be nice to use in the warm shop or liveing room if your single :)

Ken B

I'd like to see a video as well. Most that I have seen are so dreadfully slow, and I'm pretty impatient. The 4 way attachment looks pretty cool. I agree, with the electric you can split right down in your basement if you want to and ya can't beat that! I have been using a big ole gas splitter but my go to splitter is my new Fiskars X27 splitting ax. If you are in the market check them out, best damn splitting ax you will ever buy.

• Like 1

CRE1992

Nice find, you can keep warm and split wood! I want to get a super split log splitter, they are not cheap but have a 3 second cycle time, you can get them gas powered and with electric motors.

Im with Ken on the Fiskars X27, works great, I split half a cord of red oak with it in 45 minutes goofing off with friends. Works great until you get to the big pieces like the one in the picture below. It only weighs 4.5lbs so its light but very effective. However I use my trusty Stihl 460 Magnum that I got from Ken :banana-tux: and noodle them (cut them from the side down the diameter with the grain creating a pile of noodles).

479855CF-F037-425F-9F55-DE1F36652640-8067-00000C1388096FBC_zpsbf955e73.jpg

• Like 1

Zeek

lets see a video of that bugger in action. be nice to use in the warm shop or liveing room if your single :)

I'd like to see a video as well. Most that I have seen are so dreadfully slow, and I'm pretty impatient. The 4 way attachment looks pretty cool. I agree, with the electric you can split right down in your basement if you want to and ya can't beat that! I have been using a big ole gas splitter but my go to splitter is my new Fiskars X27 splitting ax. If you are in the market check them out, best damn splitting ax you will ever buy.

Yes it is nice doing it in the garage. I'm going out of town until late next week, but I'll try post a video then. It's actually pretty quick!

Ken B

Charles when I get to a big piece like the one pictured I bust off pieces from the outer part of the wood to get things going. When I get on a roll its much faster than using most log splitters and its good excercise.

Here is a link to my wood splitting hero, Its a great video of a great man, Tom Clark is the Man! I have been practicing his technique and I'm getting better, still can't split a match stick in two though! The Fiskars ax is the modern day version of his ax.

dcrage

That is what they make wedges for (Charles's BIG chunk of firewood) -- A couple of wedges should open it up (it's soft maple isn't it) -- Then you can usually go back to your spliting maul of choice once the internal stress has been relieved -- I learned Ken's "peeling" technique back in the late 60's when my Dad was cutting up nothing but dead elms from the Dutch Elm disease -- You can't split elm in the normal fashion, even with wedges -- The grains is too entangled -- That would have been a good use for powered splitter -- Something strong enough to rip thru the grain

WheelHorseSteve

That is what they make wedges for (Charles's BIG chunk of firewood) -- A couple of wedges should open it up (it's soft maple isn't it) -- Then you can usually go back to your spliting maul of choice once the internal stress has been relieved -- I learned Ken's "peeling" technique back in the late 60's when my Dad was cutting up nothing but dead elms from the Dutch Elm disease -- You can't split elm in the normal fashion, even with wedges -- The grains is too entangled -- That would have been a good use for powered splitter -- Something strong enough to rip thru the grain

I was thinking the same thing RE: entangled grained wood. I just split a bunch of swamp maple with my hydraulic splitter and boy is that stuff tightly grained and entangled. On the other hand, woods like red oak can be a total snap to split. I really enjoyed the video and learning about that technique! Despite the hydraulic splitter to make it easier (maybe not faster) I do want to give it a try... very, very cool!

CRE1992

I don't try to split anything that big by hand, I was just messing around with that picture, I use that piece of wood as a chopping block, and yes its maple. I cut the rounds that big into quarters, takes about a minute with the saws I have and then they spit really easily with the X27, I have a big ole log splitter my grandfather made but a family friend has it, so no such luck getting it back for awhile.

Ken B

Likely excuse...... :ychain:

Horse Fanatic

As a person who works repairing all sorts of power equipment, the problem with inexpensive machines such as is sold at big box stores, hardware stores and such isn't that they won't perform the task they advertise. The problem is how many times they will do it before they break. Sometimes you luck out, but cheap stuff breaks sooner and usually costs more to repair than it's worth, so you throw it away and get another one....

hm12460

I'm still splitting all my wood by hand. Burn 4-5 cords a winter and got enough now for 2 more winter's. I've looked at those gas powered hydraulic splitters, but just can't bring myself to spend the money. At 52 years old, will probably have to at some point in the future.

Ken B

When my wifes grandfather was living he split his wood by hand till the ripe old age of 82 yrs. He burned wood as his sole source of heat, he lived in New Hampshire so he burned plenty of it. His wife would help him stack it and fill the wood box. Man was their place toasty!

CRE1992

When my wifes grandfather was living he split his wood by hand till the ripe old age of 82 yrs. He burned wood as his sole source of heat, he lived in New Hampshire so he burned plenty of it. His wife would help him stack it and fill the wood box. Man was their place toasty!

Its funny you say that Ken, my aunt's aunt is 85 and she only heats her house with a wood stove. Shes a little old lady, she used to split her own wood up until about 15 years ago! Lol. Since then my Uncle has done it. But he hurt his back a long time ago at work and used to split by hand until this year, he bought a splitter so its easier on his back.

Zeek

Sorry, I was away on vacation in a WARM spot.  Just got back and had a chance to work the splitter and do a little video.  For $200, I'd recommend it . . .heck for $275 I'd still buy it  . . .

th_WoodSplitter_zps408bea55.jpg