Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Snowplough/dozer blade.

Stormin

Been doing the painting yesterday and today. Brush painting, as I have no spray equipment unfortunately. Have yet to make an index handle but have made a pattern one out of some scrap sheet steel. Hopefully will be finished by next weekend.

Stigian

Nice work Stormin, looks like your have it finished just in time for winter (maybe in 2 weeks they say). You could have plenty of snow plowing time ahead :)

Butch

You guys are really starting to piss me off with your craftsmanship!!

Stormin

looks like your have it finished just in time for winter (maybe in 2 weeks they say).

With the cold and damp up here, it'll take two weeks for the paint to dry. I did suggest bringing the parts in the house. Didn't get an answer. Just one of those looks.

Butch. You never know what you can do untill you try. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Stormin

Managed to get a bit more done. Just a couple of shots as how far.

post-8870-0-94623200-1357575103_thumb.jp

post-8870-0-53293500-1357575245_thumb.jp

Only a coat of primer and one of tractor paint so far. When I get the index lever fitted, which is now made, and connected to the pin I'll have a trial run. If all ok I'll strip it down and give it a final coat.

One thing I have noticed when fitted on the tractor, is that the blade sits to the left hand side. The bar at the back must be slightly off square with the side tubes. Not by much, but over 5ft it pushes the blade over 1-1/2 inch. :banghead:

Mentally given myself a good slapping. I'll know better for next time. :teasing-poke:

• Like 2

Stormin

Had a trial run today. It showed up three things. I need to put the heavier spring back on, need weight on the rear wheels and tractor type tyres for grip. Otherwise all well.

Weights I'll make. Tyres I'll buy. I would like another set of rear wheels, so I can have lawn tyres on one set and the tractor tyres on another. If I can't get hold of any WH wheels, I may make some. If I can get some suitable size rims.

meadowfield

re: out of square, just run a 1mm disc through and reweld :)

re: traction, you need snow chains!

mine are home made

IMG-20120323-00429.jpg

mark

Stormin

I've thought of repositioning it Mark. It doesn't pose a problem, just annoys me. May do it at a later date.

As to the snow chains, eldest son-in-law has some for his car and I was weighing them up last week with a view to making some. How did you go about making yours?

meadowfield

20ft of twisted link galvanised chain, 10 ft if straight link and 4 joining links.

Lay, the straight link either on the tyre in a circle close to the rim - or wrap it around A similar diameter object to get the basic circumference.

Count the number of links and see what it will divide by. You can do 2, 3, 4, 5 links between the horizontal runs of twisted link. I just split the straight links at convenient points (up to you on the link separation) and hook 1ft of twisted link chain in, before welding the link back up.

High quality chains are usually 2/3 links between, I was lazy And did 5 and wanted more bit more bite on my ag's :)

Once done wrap around and join the two ends. They don't need to be tight, some movement is good.

IMG-20120210-00150.jpg

Mark

Stormin

Thanks for that Mark. I'll have to do a little shopping.

DIBNAH

Stormin, thats a real nice job you've made there. Looking forward to seeing pics of it working