Sign in to follow this  
Brrly1

Do your neighbors think you weird?

Don1977

All my neighbors have green and yellow tractors 20 years newer than my Wheel Horse. I don't know what they think. I think they will all trade them in on a new one and I'll still be mowing with my Wheel Horse.

MarkPalmer

OK......My family has been attending a new church for the last couple of months and trying to get me to go.  Now it looks like I'm likely never going to start going there.

My wife comes in laughing the other day about the sermon the pastor had given.  He started talking about how heaven is so beautiful with green pastures.  Then he says, you know, those pastures are green because there filled with John Deere tractors.  Then he says, now you know where all the owners of John Deere tractors go when they pass.  THEN he says, where do you think all the people go who own those "red" tractors!

True story.

That just isn't funny.  (unless your my wife)

Maybe he meant those who have Murrays, in which case it would be true :)

-Mark-

Terry M

I'm glad this tread was revived....My Wheel Horses have attracted lots of attention since I stared collecting them. I've never had anybody call me and my tractors "Weird"(at least not to my face)... had my horses out in the yard last week and had two people stop and get out of their cars to ask what kind of tractors they were.  One older guy named Tom stopped by and stayed about 30 minutes talking about wheel horse and telling me his own history of all the wheel horses and other tractors he's owned over the years.  The guy (Tom) has been retired for over 20 and is an expert welder and craftsman.  so anyway, he only lives a few miles away and he's going to do some welding for me when I need it.  says he's reasonable in what he'll charge me .   :handgestures-thumbupright:

thehorse

Well, I wish I would have built a bigger shed 3 years ago when I needed to house the first horse. 3 years later ther are 3 horses. My neighbors think I'm a little nuts probably. Not when there is 8 inches of wet snow and their power shovels won't work. As a matter of fact

Ther are 6 neighbors with driveways that got to retire the shovels. I blow off the drives and wave goodbye. Even had a case of beer show up in my porch this winter.

Racinbob

When we lived just outside of South Bend on 26 acres nobody thought I was nuts with my herd. Sold them all when we moved here. Stupid!!!! Finding a Horse is nearly impossible down here so I bought a Junk Deere (the big box version). It could barely make it up the slope from the lake. I finally found a real tractor and yet I'm always told it's over kill for our massive.....1/2 acre.

papaglide

My farmer neighbor next to me laughs and says " you collect garden tractors like I collect big ones!" I think he has 3-4 big Fords, 2 big Kubotas and 1 Deere. Each of them does a different job for him.....kind of like mine do! Not weird but definitely cool!

C-101plowerpower

My neigbors probably think I'm weird(they're probably right) anyways the only thing I do with the horse(just one no room for more) is plowing snow in the winter and the old people down the road love me for doing that:) and i drive it around town just for fun. they call me nuts for taking home junk mowers and bringing them back to live, butt if they need something they come by

Koen

cdsl810

My neighbors thought it a bit strange when I brought another one home--this time a 520-H... Then they heard that beast running. Now, I can see the drapes opening up and eyes looking over fences every time I am running the 520.  The neighbor across the street usually has his Cub Cadet (Home Depot special) out of the garage within 30 minutes, as if to "challenge" my tractor dominance on the street.  The neighbor three houses down has a big box John Deere and cowers in the shadows.  The neighbor two houses over brought over his new Crafstman to show off, and wanted to do a little mini tractor pull "for the kids," all in fun, of course.  He ended up backing down and putting his in neutral so I wouldn't hurt it. 

Long story short, I may be nuts.  But at least the neighbors know who to turn to when their equipment breaks down and they need a hand.

• Like 1

Forest Road

Yup. And it's got nothing to so w the horses!

leeave96

Where I live, I think there are 10 houses on the street - 5 on each side.  When we bought our house about 17 years ago, most all of them were owned, but as the owners died of old age, most of the houses have sold into rental property.

I remember one time that one of the landlords (who was an up-ity sort) was doing something in the back yard beside my house.  My grass needed mowing and I got out the 520H and mowed.  The guy was staring my way the whole time and later my Wife/Boss asked me why I got that tractor out to mow with.  I told her I wanted him to know I still had a job - as evidenced by the mighty presence of the 520H and the Onan growl... LOL

That landlord wasn't getting a deal on my house anytime soon.  Don't know if that makes me weird or normal - but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

On another note, this guy had an MTD that had one of these reverse shut-off the deck switches.  When one of his deadbeat renters would move out and he had to mow the lawn, he would use that thing and it was so WEIRD hearing that mower deck constantly turn on and off as he trimmed - LOL.

Thanks!

Bill

Wishin4a416

No but the Wife does!!!

HorseWhisperer

My neighbors sympathize,they love the red.They also drag all their mowers over to my garage like I'm Slingblade.

varosd

• Like 1

Duff

Well, since I first replied to this thread back in August of 2008 the herd has grown from one tractor to four, with three working mower decks,  two mid-mount grader blades, and a couple of trailers. A lot of people have houses that cover more square footage than my tiny lot at home, but I still have a lot of fun. I live close to an Ivy League college and the upper crust driving by in their Beemers or tree-hugger-mobiles do give me some awfully strange looks when I have all four tractors parked on a lawn the size of a proverbial postage stamp. I chuckle, for what they don't know is that I have an "arrangement" with a real estate developer friend (decent, honest guy) who has a very large lot just down the street from me. I keep it mowed in the summer in return for storage space in his barn and free use of a beautiful lakefront house in northern New Hampshire. So if anyone thinks I'm weird, I just remember that opinions are like rectal openings - everybody's got one!

:ROTF: all the way to the lake!

Duff :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Edited by Duff
  • Like 2

HorseWhisperer

Just couldn't help it Bwahahahahaahaha.I Kaiser blade sharp on one side dull on da utter.Kinda look like a bananer. :laughing-rofl:

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

Alright, one post was talking about "tractor dominance". And it's TRUE! People do that! I was out mowing with my c-141 about 2 weeks ago, just buzzing down along the road in 2nd gear, wide open, my headphones on jamming to some tunes. Out pops the next door neighbor on his Deere (Blowe's Edition). I turn around and make my next pass, and I see the neighbor 2 doors down scootin down his driveway on his Craptsman. So ok, if we want to "Get our mower on", I'll top both of them! Took the c-141 back to the garage, and fired up the 310-8, with duals, and mow the bank. Next door neighbor tried to top me.....he got out his Raunch King......sad....so sad. Keep your little Briggsies, and your dowel rod sized axles......I'll keep my Kohlers and Uni-Drives. Next door neighbor annoys the daylights out of me. I got home from work at Midnight, and mowed until 1:30 AM with the C-141. It has better lights than my pickup!

welderman85

One guy down the road has a few case GTs so he likes the horses but the people across from me think im nuts. Maybe I am but I have fun they pay to have there grass cut and I mow 4 acres I have 7 total I cut a little at a time and with as many tractors as I can I build a drag behind mower for the 753 and 704 so it cut a wide path. On any given day I have at least two horses out in the yard working I call it fun the probley call it weird but they always come knocking on my door when it snows and there dime store blower wont start

rwilson

I'm beginning to wonder if i'm the crazy one and everyone else is normal!!

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

I don't think my neigbors think anything of me. I only have one that is near me, and can barely see our yard. He is a older guy and has a jd140 with a loader that you will not hear go a day without being run. He's a very friendly guy. He uses that thing a lot and must really love it. I'm sure there used to me putting around on a tractor two just about every day.

But I have gotten some odd looks when I was out near the road driving my rj35 when it did not have a hood and a bicyclist rode by... LOL

Edited by Jake Kuhn

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

Crazy like a fox. Hehehe. 

sadixon49

My neighbor drove over on one of those green and yellow thingies, and asked me if I wanted to buy this;

I said not just yes, but H*** yes!!

steve

post-8439-0-38766800-1368631699_thumb.jp

post-8439-0-63693400-1368631742_thumb.jp

jcb857

I think my neighbors are weird because they do not have any wheel horses I am the normal one

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

My neighbor tells her children who then tell me that she is gonna call the cops on me she thinks my C-160 is too loud and I shouldn't be using it. Lol so I now make sure at 9 am sharp on Sundays I fire it up and cut my lawn twice!

• Like 2

55rj35jr

Yep they sure do.... hard for them to understand the illness of having 15 plus garden tractors :)

• Like 1

boovuc

Well now, I mowed with a full face respirator on with an extreme smoking 8HP Frankenstein Wheelhorse from the 60's and my next door neighbor wanted me to never stop since it took care of most of the bugs in our yards for a week.

The Wheelhorses are just a fraction of why my neighbors think I'm weird but most would agree that they are just as weird. We all get along! I'm lucky to have good neighbors and friends on my street!