Sign in to follow this  
mac64

Help with decision?

mac64

I`m new to the site,but have been into these tractors for a long time.I need help with making a decision,i`ve recently puchased a 160c w/hydro and a 417a twin 16hp Kohler also Hydro.They both run and are in good condition,here`s the thing I can only keep one.I use my tractor a lot,so which one would be the best choice??

Kelly

With all things being equal I'd go with the single cyl. Kohler, not the the twin is bad, but the singles seem to have less problems in the long run.

kloe0699

For sure keep the C-160. My :twocents-02cents:

546cowboy

I would suggest you keep the C-160 because of the engine. Those 17 horse Kohler Twins chuck rods on a regular basis. Especially if it is a Series I. I have a 417A sitting here now with a broken rod and I have a C175 here that I think needs valves adjusted or a vavle job. I have had three of the K-17's and two of those with broken rods. :angry-steamingears:

Those K-341's will run forever if you take care of them. :wwp: :WRS:

Tankman

Agree with the other members, "hang on to the C-160."

As noted, the twin cylinders have been known as, "trouble makers."

squonk

C-160!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-2380-0-55483500-1345023758_thumb.jp

SousaKerry

If the 17 is a series II keep it if not run with the 160

or better yet put the 16 in the 417 for the creature comforts of the more modern tractor

kloe0699

I changed my mind. I didn't realise you lived in NY, I would definitly sell the C-160.... To me of course! :laughing-rofl:

mac64

I would like to thank all of you for your input,it was the way I was leaning towards anyway.One member mentioned loading a 16hp into the newer tractor any thoughts on that?Also looking for best way to freshen tractor up,paint hub caps,decals?What about putting newer side discharge mower deck to replace rear discharge,and how to mount snow blower on the c-160 as well as a list for attatchments and again thanks for your help.... :)

Forest Road

You can't go wrong with a big single kohler! The newer tractor should have an Eaton 1100. Its a better setup than the sunstrand in your older tractor. I have a c160 im selling now. Really hate to part with it but my wife wins on this one. Ok the new loader makes it barable!

6wheeler

Keep them both......... You may need a back-up tractor :banana-wrench: .....Or, several for that matter. If the boss says only one? Then put the spare in the back of the garage under a tarp while not in use. You know, out of sight? Out of mind :twocents-mytwocents: . And, if you get busted :angry-tappingfoot: ? " I am trying to sell it. But, no biters yet :violence-duel: . But, I promise to keep trying :hide: . Pat

Forest Road

Gotta agree with 6wheeler 100%!!!! If my c160 doesn't sell it'd be a crying shame....

Docwheelhorse

Hi--

heres my .02...

The 160 is a better overall tractor ---but---

the weak link in the 160 is the Sundstrand transmission---obsolete and difficult/very expensive to rebuild.

the weak link in the 417 is the motor ---but--- it has the Eaton 1100 which is grenade proof

I prefer the 160 in the looks, sheet metal, better dash tower setup and of course the big one lunger... but that trani sticks out.

If I could keep only one and was going to run it hard I would do the following..... pull the motor out of the 160 and put it into the 417 and don't look back. EXCEPT that the Kohler twin won't go into the 160 and allow its hood to close. :banghead: at least I don't think so.

So in the end you just need to make sure that the 160 trani is good and take care of it....... run the tractor and get the transmission good and hot and make sure it doesn't go soft.

some help I've been

Tony

IthacaJeff

Unless you really need to sell one because of space and money, keep both. Really. If you

plan on using the tractors for more than mowing, two are better. I know that the

attach-a-matic system supposedly makes swapping implements easy, but in fact it

really does not work that way. For instance, if you have a quick 'n dirty dozing job

you are not going to swap out the deck for the dozer blade.

Right now I'm "digging" a skating pond. Need to take off about 6 inches of thatch and

top soil. My Deutz-Allis 1920 pulls the harrow to loosen the soil, the 310-8 dozes the dirt.

The 416-8 is in reserve to mow and pull the harrow. Soon I'll have the moldboard plow

on to dig deeper (yeah, I know, a loader would be nice), or maybe the tiller.

And. . . one tractor can supply spare parts for the other. It really is helpful. Oh, and

keep the rear discharge deck. The 42" SD (side discharge) has a weak shell, but the

48" SD is solid and would be a good ADDITION.

Look through the classifieds and the image gallery for ideas on attachments. The dozer

blade is essential. You will need a rear axle attach-a-matic set up if there is not one

already there. A used set up should not cost more than $50. You will need chains if

you plan on using a dozer blade. Get 2-link (has more cross-links) or v-bar. Traction is

everything. Check ebay for ATV chains as they tend to sell cheaper (don't know why),

but the tire sizing may be different than the tractor tires.

A 42" dozer blade should run about $100-200 depending on condition. But check

your local Craiglist for complete tractor set ups that come with a blade. The seller may

sell the blade separate. I got my last plow blade, with axle attach-a-matic, that way for

$40. Be patient in your search.

Jeff