Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Input needed for a 522xi

Forest Road

I found a 1998 522xi with the kohler command 22 and power steering. It has a factory kwikway loader. Shows about 1000 hours fresh service and all new tires. I didn't see any leaks upon a quick inspection. The loader bucket is in pretty good shape, no dents to speak of. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't abused. Is there anything in particular that I should look for when I go to pick it up? Does the chassis have any known weak spots like the trans mounts on the 300 series? How can I test the hydro in an effective manor? It appears to be a dual range trans, I think that was standard.

What size tires and rims are supposed to be on this? I'm looking at a bunch of photos and all of the tires I see look much larger than whats on this one. I'm pretty sure it had 23x8.5 tires on 12" rims. I'd like to think 10.50" width was the norm.

Any pros cons on this is greatly appreciated!!!!!

rexman72

In My Opinion the XI series is a beast of a machine.Take it for a ride and warm it up and checkthe tranny on it.If theres a hill or something like that take it and check to see how it goes.Price is always a big factor when buying anything.

I found a 1998 522xi with the kohler command 22 and power steering. It has a factory kwikway loader. Shows about 1000 hours fresh service and all new tires. I didn't see any leaks upon a quick inspection. The loader bucket is in pretty good shape, no dents to speak of. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't abused. Is there anything in particular that I should look for when I go to pick it up? Does the chassis have any known weak spots like the trans mounts on the 300 series? How can I test the hydro in an effective manor? It appears to be a dual range trans, I think that was standard.

Any pros cons on this is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Tractor Addict

i had a 518xi with 1200 hrs on it and the hydrostsatic tranny was gettin weak and i had to replace the mower deck clutch.

CRE1992

it has an eaton 11 with a dual range hydro, wheel horse should of offered that from the start. Kevin if the 522 is the one with like 5 attachments that's on Clist it looks to be in good shape

SNYFIX

Sadly the XI series came out 'too late' since WH hadn't had a really big tractor since the D-series.

That said that because so few were made/sold parts will be a challenge in time. This sounds

good because of the loader but we personally wouldn't pay much due to it's "rarity" and soon-to-be

lack of parts availability.

Like we were told, they ign. key is the only part that will interchange with previously made models.

Forest Road

Thank you. As far as parts availability goes Im not to concerned. The only parts I see going on my older horses are carb kits, spark plugs, and belts. The rest of the tractor keeps on going. I spoke with a Toro rep sometime ago and asked him about parts for the 300s as well as the xi series. He said not to be concerned. He was under the impression Toro could put together enough tractors with the parts on hand to roll them out again. But dont get your hopes up that wont be happening.

I doubt this thing will see 20 hours a year. Hopefully it checks out clean and Im on my way. And if it doesnt back to the searches!

shallowwatersailor

My 518xi has served me well and has done everything that I wanted. The only weak spot that I have found in 2 1/2 years of ownership have been the hydraulic hoses weeping. That's a minor issue. The powersteering would be a nice feature because I would think that with the Kwik-Way loaded it would almost be a necessity. I have a large number of trees that I need to dodge when mowing, but the manual steering is not bad without additional weight of an attachment on the front when mowing. I have always wondered if it is the same quick steering arrangement as the late 520Hs?

Tire sizes should be: Front 16X7.50-8 and Rear 23X10.50-12. The front is an odd size that can only be found in a turf pattern, but in a previous post I researched the Vredestein V61 as an alternative.

The 5xi Series Tractor Hydraulic Service Manual on page 5-3 has the performance test that you can use to determine how strong the hydraulics are. post-3066-0-64143900-1345212923_thumb.jp

It is a very strong tractor. I would love to have a second one if my Johnny Bucket would fit. Good Luck with your decision!

Forest Road

Thanks for the testing info!!!! I can t wait to walk into the dealer with a chain and a copy of that page. Maybe ill bring a camera for their reactions. I asked my local toro/WH dealer how to test and he said to use a hydro gauge set. Obviously that wontthe happen. So this is huge! Many thanks!

SNYFIX

Thank you. As far as parts availability goes Im not to concerned. The only parts I see going on my older horses are carb kits, spark plugs, and belts. The rest of the tractor keeps on going. I spoke with a Toro rep sometime ago and asked him about parts for the 300s as well as the xi series. He said not to be concerned. He was under the impression Toro could put together enough tractors with the parts on hand to roll them out again. But dont get your hopes up that wont be happening.

I doubt this thing will see 20 hours a year. Hopefully it checks out clean and Im on my way. And if it doesnt back to the searches!

I would tell you that he's misleading you. Many parts are no longer available just ask your Toro dealer. And as long as they have MTD making quality tractors for them why assemble tractors from the dwindling supply of parts on hand.

There is no more WH tractors BTW --

wh500special

I'm a big fan of the 5xi's. I currently have three of them (520Lxi, 523Dxi, and 522xi) and sing their praises every chance I get. They are very heavy duty, seem to be reliable, and are far more comfortable and manueverable than the older tractors.

Other than a few engine issues, which have nothing to do with the Tractor itself, mine have been very reliable and extremely tough. I've needed a few small parts and have been able to order them, but it wouldn't surprise me if many things are NLA. I am starting to notice a few being parted on eBay, so it's not completely impossible to find things. The used market certainly isn't as big as it is for classic tractors and it never will be.

You mention the transaxle mounting weakness of the old-style tractors...not a concern on the 5xi's since the frame runs the full length of the tractor and isn't cantilevered off the transaxle like it is on the older versions. I seriously doubt you'll see any issues that parallel the cracked welds on the old frames. But, 1000 hours of loader use can be taxing so you'll want to at least check for loose fasteners and "wiggle" in places it shouldn't be.

I don't know of any particular issues to check, but I think you should give the components on the front end a close inspection. Look for play, bends, wear, etc. Loaders are heavy, and I wouldn't be surprised if the front end is showing signs of use. Everything up there is heavy duty, but still.

Early tractors - and I don't know when the improvment was made - have significantly smaller steering tie rods than more recent examples. My 1998 520Lxi had a bent rod (from a collision) that made the steering a little funky until I replaced it. The replacement tie rods were expensive - like $75 apiece - but have a tremendous improvment in strength and stiffness than the original version. So, check the tie rods connecting the steering sector to each of the front spindles for bends.

The xi's are awesome machines. It's really a shame their sales weren't the best and that they weren't promoted better. Once you drive one, you'll probably be sold. I'd gladly trade a 520H for any of them!

Steve

Forest Road

Thanks Steve. I have a feeling the loader wasnt used all that much. THe mower deck and snow blower were both well worn. So I do have to question how many of those hours include the loader.