Sign in to follow this  
varosd

gutter guards

varosd

Do they work? We have a three story are on the back of the house and the gutters get clogged up. don't own a 40 foot ladder!

any good ones vs bad ones?

seems like basic examples are the microscreens and hoods. not interested in the in the gutter foam or brush type

AMC RULES

I can tell you those basic micro screens and hood you get from Home Cheapo in the three foot sections...

just plain suck...don't waste your time or money.

I too was also thinking about calling "Gutter Helmet" to get an estimate, but who knows if they're any better?

I would like to install 'em and forget 'em but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Sparky

I used these and am happy with the results and dont think they suck at all. The ones on the original part of my house have been on it for 14 years and only one section has ever come off from ice buildup and that the the very snowy 2010/2011 winter. I got em at Home Depot and installed them myself. No tools needed. Each section is 36" long.

post-2-0-43729800-1338592834_thumb.jpg

Mike..............

rmaynard

I have had gutter guards for over 10 years. One of the best investments I've made. I have the Gutter Gard brand. They are solid aluminum, no holes. The problem with the type that has holes is that the stems of leaves will get lodged in the holes, making it necessary to once again get up on the ladder and clean them. The solid type will not trap small item, and they pass right over the top and onto the ground, while the rain flow into the gutter. I have not had to clean my gutters in 10 years. I do occasionally have the gutter company do maintenance on the covers to clean pollen from the edges, but they do that for free as part of their lifetime warranty/maintenance program.

I also do handyman work which includes cleaning gutters. If you live in the woods, most the mesh type or covers with holes are worthless to the home owner, but are big money makers for me.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

When I hear micro screen and hood combined...this is what I'm thinking about...and I stand behind my claim that they suck, suck, suck. Oh, and let me add that I hate 'em too.

The Sun is the enemy of these plastic guards. One year after installing, they no longer fit tight like they did originally, and the micro screen mesh has come unglued on many of the sections which allows the whirly gigs to wreak havoc in the top bend of my down spouts.

Thanks for the tip Bob, were they expensive?

post-3498-0-93991400-1338595607_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-90993200-1338595631_thumb.jp

rmaynard

Expensive? It all depends on what you call expensive. I put approximately 116 linear feet of guard on my gutters 10 years ago for about $1600.00. At the time I thought it was expensive, but now I call that a bargain.

JamesBe1

For the longest time I have been looking for good gutter guards, and never found them. Then I saw something on the net about rain diverters. Seems like they would take the place of a lot of gutters (aka less to worry about cleaning).

Anybody have any experience with them?

Forest Road

We had them installed when we built 6 years ago. They worked well in terms of keeping debris out. Unfortunately the birds made a few nests under them. There's $1000 gone and 1/2 a day on a ladder tearing them out that I can't get back. Hey were the white plastic type with rectangular holes in them.