Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alan8three73

520-H Onan PTO Whining/Whistling Noise

6 posts in this topic

I have a 520-H with the P220 Onan motor. For a while it's been whining/whistling when i engage the pto, but as soon as the pto's fully engaged, the noise goes away. This weekend however, the nose persisted for about 10 minutes while i was finishing mowing. It did the whining in the winter with my 2-stage blower hooked up (again, just while it was being engaged, but once fully engaged it was ok). So this weekend the noise became 'permanent' - and i'm afraid it's a bearing that's gonna require a rebuild. It also gets louder with engine speed. Seems the more load is on the pto, the louder and more pronounced it gets.

Is there something I can look at or try to get this to go away without pulling the crank shaft and bearing out? I really dont want to replace the motor.

Thanks in advance!

Alan

I highly doubt it is the main bearing in the engine. When you push the pto lever forward to engage the pto. The pto cone which the belt rides on has 2 bearings in it. There is a needle bearing, and a regular ball bearing. I recently picked up a 418A and at first I thought it was the deck, so I changed the decks and it still persisted. I turned off the tractor and touched the pto cone by the engine it was warm, and I touched it by the stud which connects to the hoop by a pin and burnt my fingers. My recommendation is to take off the pto cone and see if the ball bearing on the end which is held in my snap clips is shot by spinning it with your fingers. You will know its bad if its loose, makes noise when turning it, or is hard to turn. If it is okay it should have extremely little to no play, and also be smooth and quiet.

-Charles

I pulled the pto cone off today and greased the needle bearings, even though they spun just fine. The other bearing where the pto hook pushed on the pto when its engaged turned but grinded a bit when i spun it. I sprayed every sort of grease and lubricant i could find around it and let it sit for a while. When i put it back, the pto still whined when i engaged it but it wasn't consistently whining while it was running. So i'm pretty confident that if i just got a new cone it would be fine.

Thanks! So glad it's not engine - related :)

No problem, it is easier to just replace the outer bearing it comes out by removing the big snap ring, but I would remove the little one first that holds in the stub shaft.

Can i get the bearing out by myself without a press? I have a bottle jack and could probably rig something up to make a press. Would the bearing come out just by hitting it enough times strategically with a hammer?

So i replaced the ball bearing, and i still have some whining coming out of the pto. I'm wondering if now its the clutch plate behind the bell housing? Also, i picked up a 2nd 520-H and it's got the same issue, so i can't swap parts... Should i look at the clutch plate next? Maybe replace it? The needle bearings look / feel fine to me. Should i also just replace that to do it?

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Fin_
      Wheel horse c-125 with kohler 301 engine wont fire but turns over. I have made sure there is fuel getting to the engine and there is a strong enough spark to start it. Also we have good enough compression.
      So what is the problem?
    • By Nads4
      Just blew the 16hp ONAN on my 416-8.  Anyone either have a used one for sale or know a reputable dealer for rebuilt units?
    • By Michael
      I have an 875 I need a complete 8 hp Kohler and deck thx
    • By boovuc
      Hi Everyone,
      I am not selling this easily as the loader on this machine was the find of my WH collecting daze! 

For sale is a 1991 WH 520H with a 1970's Wheelhorse ARK Industries Loader, sub frame and the weight box. The clock on the 520 shows 1183.8 hours. However, the engine was bought off Ebay and I had it shipped to Pennsylvania from Michigan. This Onan P220 had less than 800 hours on it and I have put 40 hours and some change on it since installing years ago. (It doesn't get used a lot)! Before installing, I de-carboned it and replaced the top-end gaskets.
      I need room for home projects, space in the garage and I picked up another loader tractor of orange color so this one has to go. What's wrong with it!? Well first off, everything works as it should except a gauge light is out on one of the dash gauges. The gauge works, You just can't see it at night. One of the pivots on the loader left side is wallowing. It's not bad but it is something that I will mention. There is a small seep from the left side bucket dump cylinder hose connector. The tractor is also is a ***** to start if it sits awhile.
      What is right with this machine? All the gauges work! All the lights work! It has the forward swept front axle which makes turning with a loader wonderful. It has the heavy-duty front spindles so it can handle the stresses a loader with weight will induce on a tractor. The bucket is as solid as you can get and built heavy-duty! With the weight bucket full and with the 26x12x12 rear tires/rims, you won't get stuck unless you really try or are in some seriously bad terrain. Though this tractor's speed and direction is still controlled by the steering wheel lever, you will also get a complete foot pedal conversion kit I bought a few years ago on RedSquare and never installed. The motor runs great! The tranny is powerful cold, warm or hot! The loader works 100% and can handle many tasks least of which is snow removal.
      (Now is where I start to sound like a late night commercial)
      You will also get the original Onan P220 motor, (rear cyl valve seat went), with all the parts intact including the muffler, coil and fuel pump, PTO, etc. It can be rebuilt if you so desire.
      (If you buy it now)..............
      For the asking price, you also get a complete 1992 WH 416-8 that is 100% mechanically sound. (Electrical gave me fits so it has a push start).   It looks like hell and a tire loses air but it runs and mows great and starts each and every time. It comes with a 42" SD mower deck that works well. The Onan P216 runs great and has good compression in both cyl. If anything happens to the 520H, the 216's motor can be dropped right in!

I really need both these machines out of my garage and storage shed soon. I have NOT offered this on Craigslist or on our other popular classified website here in Central Pa yet. What I really want is for someone on Redsquare to buy it and take care of this machine. ARK Loaders are getting scarce and this unit runs great. I just don't use it as much as I though I would and having two loaders is nuts when space is tight.  This machine has never sat out in the weather since I have owned it. (Almost 10 years). It has always been serviced and regularly maintained. It hasn't mowed grass in 5 years!
      The price is negotiable but I don't want to give it away. I won't ship it either as it's too much to take on and I'm busy as heck!
      Emails or PM's. I'll check in a few times a day until it is sold  or if no takers, it goes on the block to someone who most likely won't care much about it!  
      If you have any questions, let me know. More pictures are available if you want to see something up close and personal. Here are some of the views I took this afternoon of the loader/tractor. $2500 or best offer. Give me an offer. I'm not criminally insane. I'll counter or just say no. Just be serious folks. Thanks!

• By OILUJ52
      For Sale one Kohler Engine, 14hp., block, head, crank, flywheel, nothing else. this engine was running when removed. lacked power and had a piston slap noise.
      Pick up only or I can bring it to the show in June.