Greg B.

Plastic Fenders

Greg B.

On my C-165, the plastic fenders look like a grenade went off underneath. There are some sizeable pieces missing and the rest of it laughs at JB Weld. Is there a metal version that will fit, or do I have to "engineer" something, like a gentleman on another board?

Greg B.

kj4kicks

Greg, Stop by an auto body supply store (or a body shop). There are a number of products available to repair plastic and urethane parts. The bumpers on newer cars are repaired all the time using these products.

Better living through science... LOL

Eldon.

Greg B.

Eldon,

Thanks for the response.

There are some big pieces that are just gone. This is the only part of the tractor that I consider sub-standard. It will never be a show pony, so I have no aversions about modifying her to meet my wants and needs. I'm just looking for options.

Thanks,

Greg B.

kpinnc

Greg,

I saw one somewhere (I can't remember for the life of me) where a guy had made a new set out of sheet metal. Looked pretty good too!

If you're not to set on it being all original, a set of the metal fenders from another model may fit the tractor. You may have to look around a bit, but most Wheel Horse parts like that could fit different tractors.

My $.02...

Kevin

Greg B.

Kevin,

I'm not a restorer (been down that road). My tractors are tools. When they won't do what needs doing, I will replace them or modify them to do the job.

Being inherently lazy, I would prefer a bolt on solution. Being on a pension, I usually have to build something. Fortunately, I have the tools and skills to enable that.

I feel that fenders are necessary for safety, driver cleanliness and a place to mount a cup holder and tool box.

I'm guessing that most C-series fenders would, or could be made to, fit. Were any of them metal?

Greg B.

Rollerman

Greg any metal fender from a C series ending in 1....ie C121,C161 would work...also the fenders on the 300,400 series tractors will bolt down to & are much more durable than the plastic.

As an added bonus it much easier to put the gas in!

Here are pics of a C125 that I swapped out the plastic fender for a metal one off a parted out C141 that was laying around.

Pardon the tractor...it's in working clothes

Stephen in northern IN

C1252.jpg

C1253.jpg

kpinnc

Heck yeah!

Many more C series tractors had metal fenders than plastic. And I'll bet finding one that will bolt up to your chassis would be easy.

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

The older C series had metal fenders, did not need a 1 at the end.

Not sure when the plastic fenders started, but knowing the generally WH parts are interchangeable, you should be able to find something.

Sorry I can't be more specific for you.

Good luck.

Greg B.

Stephen,

Your tractor, in work clothes, is much prettier than mine, with the shattered fenders and pitted hood!

This could be an adventure. Around these parts, a garden tractor is usually a Ford 9N, or a similar MF.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement.

Greg B.

Rollerman

Greg thats the first thing I did when I brought that C125 home...yank the plastic fender off.

Actually I was kinda hopeing it fly off the tractor on the long ride home & be somebody else's problem :D (kidding)

But the plastic fenders were a horrible idea from Wheelhorse.

They don't hold up well in the cold & tend to be to fragile for tractor cuties.

I think mine looks better with the metal one on it.

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

Those black hoods are a startin' to grow on me. I'm going to keep an eye out for one, but with steel fenders.

Sparky

I'm pretty sure all the black hoods had plastic fenders when they rolled off the assembly line. I have 3 right now and they all had plastic fenders that were cracked broken or missing chunck of plastic. I have replaced all of em with steel fender pans off 300 or 400 series tractors. The steel fender pans bolt right up where the plastic ones were.

Mike....been there, done that.....

Rollerman

Been told by a good source the early versions had the metal fenders on them.

Probably ran like a lot of the horse stuff...a running design change?

Stephen in northern IN

Greg B.

If pressured to build, I had been considering starting with a pair of those squarish trailer fenders and tying them into the existing foot boards. Then, bend up and weld in the seat pan and front apron, from 16ga. I would lose that ridiculous high ridge, across the back. Plastic needs it, for rigidity. Steel wouldn't need anything that high. THEN, you could put gas in the thing, without ruining the wife's manicure, because she doesn't know how to hold a funnel!

I have also toyed with the idea of 1/8" diamond plate. A proper set up would probably add 100lb., right where you want it. Properly designed, you could probably hang a 3pt rocker shaft from it.....

Thoughts?

Greg B.

tunahead72

Here are pics of a C125 that I swapped out the plastic fender for a metal one off a parted out C141 that was laying around.

Pardon the tractor...it's in working clothes

C1252.jpgC1253.jpg

Stephen,

A very old thread, I know, but it looks like your two photos have been lost. Is there any chance you could find them again and bring 'em back?

Thanks!

JimD

If pressured to build, I had been considering starting with a pair of those squarish trailer fenders and tying them into the existing foot boards. Then, bend up and weld in the seat pan and front apron, from 16ga. I would lose that ridiculous high ridge, across the back. Plastic needs it, for rigidity. Steel wouldn't need anything that high. THEN, you could put gas in the thing, without ruining the wife's manicure, because she doesn't know how to hold a funnel!

I have also toyed with the idea of 1/8" diamond plate. A proper set up would probably add 100lb., right where you want it. Properly designed, you could probably hang a 3pt rocker shaft from it.....

Thoughts?

Greg B.

Tuna, here's a couple shots of my C-85 with a metal pan from a 300 series on it.

C85resto018.jpg

C85resto017.jpg

WH854

Here another of my C-105

post-489-0-90715700-1334362169.jpg

Chas

Kelly

Here is my sons C-145 with a set of C fenders on it, he liked them better than the 300 style fenders.

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

• Like 1

JackC

If you are a purist this is the correct C Series metal fender to replace the plastic fender.

Most people prefer the looks of the metal fender.

The plastic fender was a bad idea.

The metal fender for the 300, 400, 500 Series is basically the same as the C Series except that it has a small ridge along the bottom.

The pictures are the rear of my 1884 C-175. The metal fender is stock.

The seat is from a 500 Series and the motor is a KT17 Series 2 with the flywheel cover off.

JackC

Oops, 1884 should be 1984.

can whlvr

the metal fenders are WAY better lokking

JMW

I agree the metal fenders look better.My 2 owner c175 also had stock metal fenders....just can't find pics of it right now

JackC

Here are some pictures of my 1983 C-175 with the plastic fender.

The fender is very high and exposes a large portion of the fuel tank and rear end.

It is also more difficult to add fuel to the tank due to the high ridge on the fender.

I believe 1978 was the first year (on the C161 twin) and 1983 was the last year for the plastic fender.

My other pictures are too big to upload.

This tractor only has 278 hours on it.

woodchuckfarmer

All are very good looking black hoods, thanks for posting the picts....Wayne

tunahead72

Nice photos, guys!

I ran into this thread just doing a search (on something unrelated) earlier this evening, and had to read it. The plastic fender on my '81 C-105 is somehow still in decent shape, but if the time comes it'll be replaced by a metal one. It's good to know there are several options.

Thanks!