Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

CARROLL SHELBY DEAD

illinilefttackle

Hi Guys- The inspiration for the Cobra & Gt Mustangs has died. He was quite a guy. I had the privilege to meet him at University Ford Sales , Campaign, Ill. when I was a young lad-they were promoting the "New" Gt 350 Mustang. Tried to get him to let me test drive it- but he thought better of it. Nice car-289 Cu. Inch- no rear seat-traction bars coming into the rear passenger compartment to stop differential twist-Of course, the COBRA was his baby too-

RIP Carroll

Al

DavidD

I just did see that on the news.

My sympathies and prayers go out to his family,

Those kind of guys do not come along very often.

JimD

The automotive engineering world has lost a true Master. R.I.P. Mr. Shelby.

AMC RULES

There's a true American icon that will live on forever. :bow-blue:

God speed Carroll. :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Carrol Shelby died? :scared-eek: He has inspired many car enthusiasts over the years, and left an awesome legacy! He will be missed, and our prayers will be with his family.

Matt :flags-texas:

Coadster32

First I'm hearing of this. Wow. I never owned the shelby, but did a model of it as a kid.

312Hydro

I've always admired what he did with the A C Cobra and Mustang. He was a true automotive genius . Sorry to hear about his passing away.

Ken B

Carroll Shelby will be missed BIG TIME. Growing up in the 70's a next door neighbor of mine had the most wicked black with gold stripes 68 Shelby GT 500 K.R. I was real fond of my brother's 69 SS 396 Chevelle and considered myself a Chevy man even at the tender age of 8. But when I first laid eyes on this Shelby I begged him for a ride! He finally gave in and all I can say is I will never forget that ride! His car had a 427 side oiler with two fours on it and a four speed. What an evil and wicked sounding machine. He still owns this car. I consider myself pretty lucky to have owned a 69 SS 396 Chevelle myself and a Shelby Mustang so I have crossed them off of my bucket list. Thanks for the memories Caroll.

• Like 1

Rooster

One of my Personal Heroes, Legend? Icon? Innovator? ...you cannot sum everything this man did for the Automotive world in anything less than a book! A few words pr even pages can not do it!

Be it racing, sports cars , production, marketing...the list is forever long, This old Texas Chicken Farmer was probably the single most influential person in Automotive History!

The world of the Auto would not be what it is today had we not been blessed by his life long devotin!

Thank You Mr. SHelby!

• Like 1

Lars

One of my Personal Heroes, Legend? Icon? Innovator? ...you cannot sum everything this man did for the Automotive world in anything less than a book! A few words pr even pages can not do it!

Be it racing, sports cars , production, marketing...the list is forever long, This old Texas Chicken Farmer was probably the single most influential person in Automotive History!

The world of the Auto would not be what it is today had we not been blessed by his life long devotin!

Thank You Mr. SHelby!

Agree Rooster,.

wheelhorse656

A true legacy left behind by him.... It was with the old mustangs I fell in love with ford!! You cant a beet a stock 289.....

Buzz

My son and I had the pleasure of meeting him at his museum/assembly plant near the Las Vegas Speedway 5 or 6 years ago. We were visiting my dad in a nursing home and when he went to sleep we decided to take a ride to the museum. Well worth the visit and it's free................ Anyway the were giving a tour of the factory where they assemble the Cobra bodies and he just happened to be there that day. The tour was just a small group so he walked over and chatted for awhile. Heck of a nice guy.

It's weird, they build the bodies in Vegas and the engines in California. They then ship the car and engine seperately to you for assembly or to another company for assembly. For some legal reason they can't ship a complete car.