Sign in to follow this  
rydogg

Picked up a RJ35 550 and half of a RJ58

weien's wheel horses

Can i change the carb on it And run it or should leave it runs but missin bottom part of the carb

weien's wheel horses

Can i change the carb on it And run it or should leave it runs but missin bottom part of the carb

rydogg

The air cleaner parts can be hard to find I only have 1 complete one for my 633 you can change it to a carter model N they are easier to maintain and find parts for I can get one ready with an air cleaner housing all you need to do is install it and tune it for your engine maybe we can do a trade for your tilly pm me for details. I almost forgot you will need to change your governor since the one that is used on the tilly has a 90 degree bend and the one for the carter is straight but I can include that with a carter if you are interested.

rydogg

I haven't messed with these tractors since getting them home back in April...I finally hauled the 550 into the garage on New Years eve I found out why the engine appeared to be stuck it had a huge mouse nest in the flywheel I got it cleaned out and now it turns over. How do you remove the steering wheel from these?? It doesn't appear to have a roll pin. I would like to get the hood out of the way so I can remove the head and inspect the cylinder before trying to fire this engine that has sat for quite a while. I could also use some front rims, do the rims from an RJ 58/59 fit on a Suburban?

VinsRJ

There should be a roll pin holding the steering wheel on... maybe covered in multiple coats of paint?

RJ35 rims are wider, outer bearing surface to outer baring surface, than your suburban spindles.

Ken B

I have found on real stubborn wheels it is sometimes easier to pull the lower roll pin on the steering gear and pull the the entire steering shaft instead of trying to pull just the wheel. Even if you get the roll pin out of the steering wheel chances are the wheel isn't going to come off to easy. It'll be easier to get the wheel off the shaft if the whole deal is off the tractor.

WHRNaddict

If you get the hood off, it would be great to have some pics of throttle, govenor linkage set up. PO of mine pulled the carb and missed placed the linkage. Thanks in advance.

rydogg

Did some more work on the 550, last night I pulled off the cylinder shield that holds the electrical components, behind it every cooling fin was filled with mud from a colony of hornets :handgestures-thumbdown: I got it all cleaned out and removed the head for cylinder inspection since it still turned over kinda hard, once I removed the head and checked the cylinder the only problem I noticed was a residue in the cylinder so I sprayed in some pb blaster and now it turns over nicely and has no deep gouges or other cylinder issues so I think the engine that I thought was no good will probably be a runner.

If you get the hood off, it would be great to have some pics of throttle, govenor linkage set up. PO of mine pulled the carb and missed placed the linkage. Thanks in advance.

Here are a few pictures I hope this helps you out...I will be removing the carburetor for a good cleaning so I need pictures for myself to remember where the linkages and spring go. I can get more pictures of the setup when I take the carburetor apart for cleaning.

wheelhorse357.jpg

wheelhorse356.jpg

wheelhorse358.jpg

The last picture is the pivot that bolts to the blower housing.