Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

Would you buy a 6 year old truck?

truckin88

Recently I have considered getting a truck again, to many project around the house and borrowing my father in laws or my dad's truck is becoming a pain. My commute is only 10mi each way to the train station, and should stay like that for many many years (fingers crossed). Anyw ays I am looking at an extremely clean 2006 F350 supercab long bed, 5.4 V8 gasser, 44K miles, 4x4 was definately babied by the last owner. Is weel equipped and has a lot of accessories and bells and whistles. The dealer is asking $20K. I am told I can get it for about $17K, edmunds prices it around $18Kish. If it were a 09 or 10 for $25K it would be gone. How much should 6 years concern someone, as this is not a small purchase.

Rooster

AN 06 with only 44K on it......is hard to find!

6 years is nothing.

Now the price and specifics on that truck...I dunno nuthin about fords! ?

nylyon

In my opinion, the 06 Super Duty is one of the best looking years! I am partial to Diesel, but I would love to have an 06.

Wheel Horse Kid

AN 06 with only 44K on it......is hard to find!

6 years is nothing.

Now the price and specifics on that truck...I dunno nuthin about fords! ?

I agree. I would not be concerned about the age at all. Fords are great, long lasting trucks. We have a '94 F-150 with about 180,000 miles on it and it still runs like a top!

smoreau

Make the dealer change the spark plugs and have them changed of at least removed every other year. This is one of the years that they had issues with the spark plugs breaking off in the head. I have fixed many of these with the plug broken off. 07-08 they changed the design to a bigger plug and they don't brake off. Other then that little issue, I like them. I'm not a Ford fan, but do like the supper duty F350's and wouldn't mind owning one.

KC9KAS

I agree..44,000 miles is nothing...go for it!

truckin88

any other known issues?

would you worry about something that expensive and no warranty?

squonk

Make the dealer change the spark plugs and have them changed of at least removed every other year. This is one of the years that they had issues with the spark plugs breaking off in the head. I have fixed many of these with the plug broken off. 07-08 they changed the design to a bigger plug and they don't brake off. Other then that little issue, I like them. I'm not a Ford fan, but do like the supper duty F350's and wouldn't mind owning one.

Good idea! At 44k those plugs have probably been in all those 6 years. If the dealer refuses make them do it. If they say they were all ready changed, make them prove it!

smoreau

Not really, There is a tool available to remove the broken plus know, But when they first came out, the fix was to remove the cylinder heads. Other then that, and its that particular engine, they are a great truck!

AMC RULES

Wonder if there is a Super Dootie forum you can go to for advise? :scratchead:

stevebo

Will-

I really have nothing to add other than that is a pretty big truck... My buddy has an 05 Dodge heavy duty with the cumminings turbo and it is a super nice truck however the bed of the truck above the wheel wells are rotted out. It is not a recall however the dealer told him the cause... they sprayed foam in between and they are all holding water and rotting. Should be a recall but not as of yet. Then again... you already owned a Dodge and I think you are staying away from them...

truckin88

Steve, I'd buy another dodge, I had issues with the Ram, but had a Dakota that was an awesome little truck. my dad put 150K on his 03 ram that needed only normal maintainence and an exhaust manifold. and he put 110K on his 09 which needed nothing. I don't want to increase my debt or hit my savings, and the fact that my commute is only 100 miles a week, I can buy used, I think I will get a better deal as long as there are no issues. If I buy used, I really would like a Heavy Duty truck. We will see how numbers work out. Edmunds says this truck is 18500, @ current gas prices I think I might be able to get it for 17500.

nylyon

My 03 has about 130,000 miles on it now and is very similar to the 06. The 06's have coil front springs, but the rest is about the same. I have no rattles, drives straight as an arrow, 22 MPG Highway. For the superduty's the front hubs are a weak point (mine has Warn hubs on it now), ball joints and goes through brakes (but hauling a trailer may be slightly to blame) They are a great truck!

Rooster

any other known issues?

would you worry about something that expensive and no warranty?

Do they not offer a warranty?

Ken B

I was thinking the same thing. No warranty whatsoever or just no factory warranty?

Shuboxlover

6 years old is Brand new to me!!!!!!!!!

jimt1971

I just bought a 6 year old duramax diesel with 55k on it. For me it was the only way I was going to upgrade.

Steve B.

Six years!! I don't think I've ever owned a truck that new. My usual is a $1000 beater, rough it up for a couple years and dump it for another.

I'm not a Ford fan, but that sound like a decent deal to me. The '06 Super Duty's are a sharp looking truck. :twocents-02cents:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I'd run the ID through Carfax

nyquil junkie

I bought a 20 yr old ford truck for 900 bucks a few yrs ago.

The only problem with it is 14 MPG.

My 65 f250 got better than that, I shoulda kept it.

Ken B

I bought an 07 Shelby Mustang a few yrs ago with 4 ,000 miles on it right off a Ford dealers show room floor. The Shelby was a few yrs. old. It had a spotless Carfax the dealer bragged about. The car looked awesome and it was my weekend nice weather only car. However, one day about a yr. later I removed one of the rear tires and I noticed some very careful body work around the wheel well lip on one side of the car. Upon seeing that I REALLY went over the car and I found evidence that the entire side of the car was worked on. Still, straight as an arrow but all of the evidence was there that at one time there was some type of a collision on one side of this car. I was pretty depressed about this and I lost all interest in the car. It sat in my garage for about a yr. until I sold it. I bought the old lady a new 2012 Wrangler and I'm driving my 1988 4x4 Chevy step side everyday now.

That dealer must have either taken that car in on trade damaged or someone side swiped it on their lot and they snuck it into the body shop. Either way I have very little trust in a Carfax Don't buy anything from Scarsdale Ford in New York.

nylyon

Ford also has Oasis, ask the dealer for the Oasis report that will show all dealer work performed on the truck.

truckin88

I bought an 07 Shelby Mustang a few yrs ago with 4 ,000 miles on it right off a Ford dealers show room floor. The Shelby was a few yrs. old. It had a spotless Carfax the dealer bragged about. The car looked awesome and it was my weekend nice weather only car. However, one day about a yr. later I removed one of the rear tires and I noticed some very careful body work around the wheel well lip on one side of the car. Upon seeing that I REALLY went over the car and I found evidence that the entire side of the car was worked on. Still, straight as an arrow but all of the evidence was there that at one time there was some type of a collision on one side of this car. I was pretty depressed about this and I lost all interest in the car. It sat in my garage for about a yr. until I sold it. I bought the old lady a new 2012 Wrangler and I'm driving my 1988 4x4 Chevy step side everyday now.

That dealer must have either taken that car in on trade damaged or someone side swiped it on their lot and they snuck it into the body shop. Either way I have very little trust in a Carfax Don't buy anything from Scarsdale Ford in New York.

I have a friend that has issues with that dealer, you should have reported to Ford. I bet they would have compensated you.

truckin88

I was thinking the same thing. No warranty whatsoever or just no factory warranty?

Not sure just entering talks w/ dealer

SousaKerry

Hell 6 years old that aint even broke in yet. My newest vehicle is a 2000 oldest is a 1994 and I live in Michigan Rust Capitol of the World.

I think they salt the roads up here in the summer to keep the weeds down :angry-soapbox: