Tim

craigs list

Tim

so I see an ad for a wheel horse tiller on craigslist in new hampshire last night. two hours old asking 95.00.

it's still listed so you can see it....

i call him up and say i will take it. I told him I would pick it up today. just before I leave toiday , I call him and he says it's gone.

Sold it to his next door neighbor, who had "cash in hand"

Yes I was not happy, then got to thinking a few things;

What is your word worth? this is the second time this has happened to me on CL.

if your next door neighbor also had a wheelhorse, would you ask him if he wanted it before your listed it? (I'm assuming he had a tractor because he bought an attachment for one)

or was this a case of not knowing what you owned getting a ton of calls and someone overbidding the asking price and not holding to your word?

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Many people on craigslist don't always show up or call so people who've been burned before tend to go with whoever is first with the cash. BUT, if the ad is still listed then email with another email account and offer $300 and the seller will feel like he lost out. LOL (just kidding)

Kelly

I sell on CL and I will hold till the first caller comes to look, I go down the list as to who replied first then next and so on, but I don't hold items more than a day or so, I have tons of replys but just as many no shows, so holding a item 4-5 days I tell the person to call before they drive out to see the item, I don't raise my prices I set them a bit high and lower them to let the buyer feel good about getting a deal, I've had items I wanted sell before I could get to them, but I always call first before driving.

• Like 1

zieg72

I have had the same issues happen to me, just the way CL sellers seem to be some of the time.

Sparky

Unless I have a deposit I dont like to hold an item. I've had a few no shows on stuff I've held with a phone call promise. I dont second guess and say its sold so I can relist with a higher price tho.

Mike..............

AMC RULES

I wish that stinkin' list had a different name. :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 5

Hydro

I have a different take on your deal. Maybe he realized he did not ask enough for it and wanted out of the deal :confusion-confused: What you said about the neighbour makes perfect sense or when someon else called and he said it was sold but waiting to pick it up...they offered more. It's very easy to tell lies over the phone!

Anyway sorry you lost your deal.

squonk

Here's my craigslist beef. I see a :wh: listed late at night. No phone #. I e-mail a reply 10 min. after it's posted. Tell them I'm interested and give them my phone #. Wake up the next day nothing. Send another e-mail. Go all day nothing. Then 10:00 at night finally get a response and it's sold all ready. Happened twice this month alone. Then trying to sell something. The spammers and scammers are coming out of the woodwork. From now on if I'm selling something it's phone replies only! :*****:

• Like 1

rexman72

tim i also talked to that guy whos name is bill.i told him i would be down in 45 mintues to get it.as i was jumping in my truck to go he called me and told me it was sold.i wanted that for 95 bucks.

so I see an ad for a wheel horse tiller on craigslist in new hampshire last night. two hours old asking 95.00.

it's still listed so you can see it....

i call him up and say i will take it. I told him I would pick it up today. just before I leave toiday , I call him and he says it's gone.

Sold it to his next door neighbor, who had "cash in hand"

Yes I was not happy, then got to thinking a few things;

if your next door neighbor also had a wheelhorse, would you ask him if he wanted it before your listed it? (I'm assuming he had a tractor because he bought an attachment for one)

or was this a case of not knowing what you owned getting a ton of calls and someone overbidding the asking price and not holding to your word?

Tim

I asked him if he took pay pay as a deposit he said no

how else could i offer a down payment

at the end of the day the only conclusion i can come to is his word is sh*t

we had an agreement

i called last night. i told him I would pick it up today, there was no "waiting"

i did not lead him on...

DoctorHfuhruhurr

what was he selling? just curious

fourwheels0

i get people near me that wait till i lower the price then ***** because they didn't get it.

i say oh'well your loss.

i only do phone calls also. so if you don't call then it's your fault not mine.

way too many no shows or they call 3 days later saying i'll come get it but it's already gone.

i have stuff listed now and i know they are waiting for me to drop the price............. sorry no more deals lol.

rexman72

tim heres what i think happened.he got that tractor from his father in law.he didnt know what anything was worth.If you called him last night then he should have went in order.I think he has never dealt with CL and didnt know what he was doing because i told him i am coming to get it this morning and he said yes and thank fully he called back saying it was sold because if i went down there and it was sold i would have blown a gasket so to speak.

I asked him if he took pay pay as a deposit he said no

how else could i offer a down payment

at the end of the day the only conclusion i can come to is his word is sh*t

we had an agreement

i called last night. i told him I would pick it up today, there was no "waiting"

i did not lead him on...

bowtiebutler956

It's all your fault Craig! You and your stinking List! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 2

1maidenfan

:ROTF::teasing-poke: :ychain:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

My experience with buying anything from anyone is you win some and you lose some.

Some folks word is their bond and some folks word bends as soon as the green comes out. It is unfortunate but real.

I figure I have learned from being burned (on a few items I wanted to buy) and I always try to sell as stated to the person that first made the offer to puchase..

These old tractors, parts and implments are increasingly popular whether the seller knows it or not. About every Craigslist tractor, newspaper ad, swap meet item or Ebay item is more and ore expensive regardless of conditon.

Most of the time you deal with good people and it makes a good experience that you want to have. That's win you win bigtime!

I also figure I have

• Like 1

Dockfishin

Unless I have a deposit I dont like to hold an item. I've had a few no shows on stuff I've held with a phone call promise. I dont second guess and say its sold so I can relist with a higher price tho.

Mike..............

x2 as a rule half or more won't show up that say there coming. guess there window shoppers by phones or email so to speak. I'd have to stick to any deal I made though if I agreed to one whether I thought I could do better or not it wouldn't matter.

I never hold unless they say there on there way. in which case I'll hold till they get there, too many no shows to do it.

• Like 1

Kelly

I sold a vintage Walker Turner band saw on CL a week or so ago, I had it listed for all most 2 weeks, I don't put my phone no. in the ad, only after they send a email I give out my no., I had no joke about 30 emails saying "I want it can you hold it?" I sent my phone no. to them and got about 15 return calls, most of them said on the phone I want it, well after the near 2 weeks I finally had one guy show up just as he said and bought it, and he was very happy said it was the nicest vintage band saw he had seen in a long time, well I get fed up with all the no shows, they piss me off.

• Like 1

can whlvr

ive been on both sides of the coin,ive got some good deals,and i have drove for hours only to find the item gone even after calling,telling him im leaving and it will be 2 hours drive,but as the sellers say first come first serve,i tried to sell an old dodge pickup,it was a great truck and only wanted 1000 bucks,i left work early 5 times to meet guys that never showed,i never put work aside anymore to sell anything

BOWTIE

HERE IS MY 2 CENTS WORTH. I SELL ON C/L. I HAVE HAD A FEW NO SHOWS. IF YOU CALL ,I WILL GIVE YOU A WINDOW OF TIME WHEN YOU WILL BE HERE OR I GO TO THE NEXT GUY. I HAD A GUY COME TO LOOK AT A WHEEL HORSE THAT I SAID IT WAS SOLD TO A GUY AND HE'S ON HIS WAY. THE SECOND PERSON WAITED FOR THE FIRST GUY TO SHOW UP. FIRST GUY SHOWED UP ON TIME AND BOUGHT IT. YOU SHOULD GIVE FIRST CALLER A REASONABLE CHANCE TO BUY IT.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

6bg6ga

Saw this old thread and it opened up a wound. Tried twice to buy a horse. Offered more than the seller was asking and it was sold out from under me. Not once but two times.

Digger 66
On 4/15/2012 at 5:19 PM, Tim said:

Craigslist is a FREE classified board.

Take it with a grain of salt and  and for exactly "what it's worth" .Don't expect too much .

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

That is the way it is on CL, my advise is to chalk it up to experience and move on. People are unpredictable, unfortunately it's human nature. Next time you are armed with your gained knowledge. Use it wisely!

• Like 2

Dakota8338

If they only have an e-mail address on CL, I rarely ever attempt to contact the seller anymore, because 99.9% will never reply.  I am just about the same with the CL "Want Adds" also.  I met one great gent through the CL want adds, but the rest want gifts, not a purchase.

I have had a few favorable purchase experiences on CL, most notable, and virtually all, from those with phone numbers listed, regardless of accepting voice or text messages. 

But always remember, 'If it sounds to good to be true, with CL it is probably a scam!'  And I might add, know your prices, because I have seen tons & tons of CL adds for worn out tools priced higher than new tools of the same type & brand could be purchased for.  Some people are always looking for P. T. Barnum's "Sucker."

ohiofarmer

When it comes to the guys who will keep their word, the law of averages favors farmers. The typical farmer who sells a Wheel Horse sells it because he is getting older and might find it hard to throw a leg over the steering wheel and he bought a Exmark or some such because it is easy to use. I know how to talk to farmers and it never hurts to discuss how the crops are/were this year and how his crops are doing. .

I take a GPS and tell him when my trip starts what the ETA is according to the GPS.and try to time it to his schedule.Be considerate and tell him if anything affects when you are getting there. I tell him what my truck looks like so he knows what to expect. I give him another call when i am 15 or so minutes away.This has worked out well so far

The resulting crime from drug use has farmers on edge and they are wary of people pretending to come on the property to purchase something just to come back later after they case the property as an opportunity to steal something. Even if you see a tractor for sale sitting in a person's yard, call the listed number and tell the owner you are viewing the tractor in question. I have been burglarized, and i do not answer my door if i do not know the person knocking. I wait to see what they do next and if I see proper behavior, i come on the porch as they are returning to their car.

If i were the seller, i would want a buyer who was buying for his own use and not just to make money. It does not hurt to point this out if you intend to use the thing yourself.