Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Picked up a tiller

Paul D.

Took a trip to Olivet Mi. this weekend to visit Kelly. Got quite the education on Wheel Horses(Thanks Kelly). So anyway after a few hours trading stories I took home with me a rototiller. Spent a good portion of Yesterday afternoon rigging things up and Yes I pulled my snow blower off. Well that may have been a little premature (We got about 4-5 inches last night, Wife told me "I told ya so"). Last night we tried it out just before dark and it worked great! I was really surprised that it didn't hardly make a sound. I was a little worried that my hydro transmission would struggle with running the tiller but it was almost like the tiller wasn't even there. The neighbors probably thought I was crazy running a rototiller while it was snowing but I didn't really care. By the time I would finish up a row it was covered in snow :D . I do have a couple questions for all you seasoned veterans on how I rigged things up.

#1 Is there anyway to put the belt on the pulley without having to pull off the pulley bar(the half circle bar that latches into the center of the pulleys to retain them)

#2 Is there anyway to increase the travel of the tiller? In full up its only up about 3" and in full down it's only down about 4" into the dirt. I am running a rockshaft but is there a certain way to set it to get the most stroke?

I didn't get a chance to get any pics so I am sure I will catch heck for that but any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul D.

kpinnc

My tiller has a homemade rear idler, so I can't help you there.

On the travel, I added an extra "adjustable" link in the chain that runs to the rear bell crank. It's the link with the threads on one side, whatever they are called. They are about $2 at any hardware store.

If I'm driving over to the garden, I put the link higher in the chain to lift the tiller higher. I put the link at the end of the chain when I'm ready to dig. Gives me quite a bit deeper bite by lowering the tiller 2-3 inches.

Paul D.

Ive got the adjustable link on the tiller and a clevis on the rockshaft so I can adjust the height there. I was just wondering how much travel I should expect to be able to get without adjusting the chain.

can whlvr

theres no way around having to remove thr hoop,thats why its on with hitch pins so it can be removed easy,your travel sounds normal,they dont lift real high in the air

farmer

The best bit of advise I could give would be~

when the large tiller pulley just clears ground, make that your maximum depth (gives you about 6" of cut)

any lower and the pulley will fill with soil throwing the belt ( and eventally destroying it) :)

As Don said, tine clearance is not great, 4-5" maybe. :thumbs:

Paul D.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I was doing it half way right.

Kelly

Sounds like you had fun, it was great talking to you, but lets do it again when warmer, as for the travel, you have it about right, you have to adjust the chain for more up and down, don't worry about the neighbors mine all look at me funny.

Tap53

Paul, if you want to still increase your tiller height when you lift it, I have an Idea that I used on an Case a few years ago for a friend,

Might work for a WH, If so, I will draw a sketch and send.

Tim

Paul D.

That would be great. I know I have to put it on a trailer and the extra ground clearance would be great for driving it up the ramps

Tap53

That would be great. I know I have to put it on a trailer and the extra ground clearance would be great for driving it up the ramps

Paul D.

Finally got around to taking a pic

photo-3.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

Looks like it's doing a good job for you

bowtiebutler956

Sweet tiller. :thumbs: I want one. :wicked:

Matt :flags-texas:

Tim

take out some of the links and put a turnbuckle in

you can tighten and loosen from your seat

when you done tilling go to level ground, drop the tiller and then tighten,

the tiller will raise higher for travel

when tilling just loosen the turnbuckle before you start

alot easier than messing with the chain

3550614?$prod_det$

AMC RULES

Looks good Paul. :text-coolphotos:

bk-scouter

Looks like you got the hang of it Paul. Soils looks good, but are you sure that winter is over ???? This is Michigan remember.... :ychain:

-BK

bk-scouter

You better watch what you wish for on that one Paul. I know when I load up my tractor with the tiller on it onto a small tilt bed trailer, it's always a little hairy backing it down. The tiller has worked as a wheelie bar a couple times when the front tires came off the trailer deck . Lot of weight hanging on the back end. :wacko:

-BK

Kelly

Front weights are a good idea when running a tiller, hang them on the front or front wheel weights.

Paul D.

Great idea Tim. I just picked up a turn buckle at the farm store. I'll let ya know how it goes. As far as the weights I think your right Kelly, it handles just fine tilling without them even when doing untilled land but it sure does steer easy. I'm afraid of doing a wheely off of the ramps

Kelly

I didn't think to say anything about weights, and I have a few sets here, we even walked by them on the pallets with all the weights.

Paul D.

Added in the turn buckle. It really helped. I was able to set it so it raised it just short of the pulley arm hitting the back of the transmission case.

Here's my ground clearance. Only way to get more than that is to redesign the pulley mounting bracket.

post-5754-621143_thumb.jpg

Paul D.
image-25.jpgLet's try again maybe with the pic this time

bk-scouter

Front weights are a good idea when running a tiller, hang them on the front or front wheel weights.

I just picked up a set of 8" ones for the front just before winter. I'm looking forward to see how they inprove things during my tilling season now.

Paul, looks like that turnbuckle will work out pretty good.

-BK

Paul D.

Thinking I might fab something up to hook into the front attach o matic for know. I was also thinking of trying to make a mold up to poor my own concrete wheel weights

can whlvr

i made some up a few years ago,they help alot and cost me nothing as i was pouring some for work anyway

024-1.jpg