Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Wheel Horse Work Day --- Come Join Me at My House!

mattd860

With some of our income tax refund - My wife and I will be purchasing about 30-40 yards of top soil to re-do our lawn. The previous owner of my house surrounded the back and side yards with small gravel and WE HATE IT. Apparently the PO didn't like to mow the lawn or something.

SO....

Some sunny day in April I want to have a Wheel Horse "Work Day" where a bunch of you can come over with your tractor(s) and grade off my lawn with me! I have a 418-8 with a dozer blade so I'll be working along side. I need other tractors with grader blades, dozer blades, york rakes, lawn rollers, and seed spreaders. A WH with a loader will be a plus too!! The area that will be getting the top soil is surrounded in the yellow border in the picture below.

My plan is to have the dirt delivered soon and then borrow my friends Kabota tractor with a 1/2-yard bucket to make smaller piles all over the back and side yard. Then we all can get in there and spread it when the weather gets better.

Of course if you want to stop by with a hand rake or lawn chair to watch all the fun - you are more than welcome! I don't mind making this into a mini-show, meet & greet, and or swap meet... just as long as the dirt gets spread too :). Bring your families too!!! My wife will grill ALL of us a nice lunch and we'll provide the beverages (soda & water).

If this sounds interesting to a bunch of you, please reply to this post and state your interest.

The location is Salem, CT. Hope to get a good response!

HomeView.png

HomeView1.png

Don1977

Too far for me. I was wondering if you were removing the stone first. Trying to spread top soil on top of lose stone, I don't think you would be happy with the results.

mattd860

Too far for me. I was wondering if you were removing the stone first. Trying to spread top soil on top of lose stone, I don't think you would be happy with the results.

The stone has already been scraped off and hauled away. There is still a 1-2" layer on stone in some spots but it's very compacted.

zieg72

Sounds like a fun outing but a bit far away, sorry

Shuboxlover

What's the oval looking thing?

TT

Looks like an above-ground pool with an air pillow under a winter cover.

stevebo

Matt,

I bet you would get more help if you held a raffle for a few of those custom foot petals..... :ychain:

Rollerman

Actually I think a "working meet-n-greet" sounds like a fun idea. :handgestures-thumbup:

Kelly

Tell you what Matt, you buy the gas, I'll bring a 520 with a dozer blade, a 520 with a 50" grader, and a C-195 with a loader, I also have a towable seed spreader, and a harrow, but Mi to you will not be cheap, but does sound like fun.

fireman

Sounds like fun but i'll have to bring the Power King or the John Deere :hide: as I don't have any large Wheel Horses anymore!

mattd860

Looks like an above-ground pool with an air pillow under a winter cover.

Correct!

Matt,

I bet you would get more help if you held a raffle for a few of those custom foot petals..... :ychain:

That's actually a great idea. Let me think about it for a bit. Maybe first prize is a free kit and second will be 50% off the price or something.

Tell you what Matt, you buy the gas, I'll bring a 520 with a dozer blade, a 520 with a 50" grader, and a C-195 with a loader, I also have a towable seed spreader, and a harrow, but Mi to you will not be cheap, but does sound like fun.

If you're serious - PM what you think the price of gas will cost and I'll see if it's worth it. You can even stay in the currently vacant In-Law apartment if you want.

Sounds like fun but i'll have to bring the Power King or the John Deere :hide: as I don't have any large Wheel Horses anymore!

Fine by me! Looking forward to seeing some other brands too.

stevebo

I may have to bring the 417 with the 3 point, grader blade and york rake...

mattd860

I may have to bring the 417 with the 3 point, grader blade and york rake...

Yes - you definitely have to do that :)

Hydro

Last time I drove there it was 2000 miles return so I'm out but good luck! :flags-canada:

CRE1992

Matt I'm definitly down to do it. I just gotta get some free cash (gas money) and I'll head up your way. If necessary I can take a JD 790 4wd with a front end loader and backhoe if need be...

Looking forward to it,

-Charles

SALTYWRIGHT

IT SOUNDS LIKE FUN. I CAN BRING A GT-14 WITH A 3 POINT AND A 54 INCH PLOW. LET US KNOW WHAT DATE. WILL YOUR KIT WILL FIT MY GT-14. RUSS

Wheel Horse Kid

Sounds like fun, but too far away for me!

wallfish

I can help out with a loader and hoe.

If you get the soil now and wait until spring, it will turn into hard piles that will need to be broken up first. $0.02

mattd860

I can help out with a loader and hoe.

If you get the soil now and wait until spring, it will turn into hard piles that will need to be broken up first. $0.02

Good point - I will wait and have the soil delivered one or two weeks prior to the "work day" show. If people come with loader tractors then I can have the dirt delivered a few days before the work day because I won't have to pre-spread it with my friend's Kabota.

mattd860

The date for the workday will be Saturday April 21st with a rain date of April 28th.

Please let me know how this works out for everyone. Thanks.

SALTYWRIGHT

APRIL 21 (MY BIRTHDAY) OR 28 IS GOOD FOR ME. I WILL BE 83 BUT I AM NOT TOO OLD TO PLAY IN THE DIRT. I WILL BRING MY GT-14 WITH A 54 INCH BLADE AND DOWN PRESSURE. SEND YOUR ADRESS TO W1RGW@OPTIMUM.NET. RUSS

SALTYWRIGHT

WHAT IS NEW WITH THIS ?

mattd860

Plans haven't changed as of yet Russ. I just emailed you my address. Over the next month I will be looking for the best deal on top soil. I have a 5,500 square feet area that I need covered with 6" of top soil. So thats actually 100 cubic yards!!! Not the 30-40 that I had planned on. No big deal though since we all will be pushing it around with our machines :)

I'm trying to find unscreened topsoil at the moment since it's the cheapest. Since people will be bringing york rakes it shouldn't be a problem removing the crud.

71_Bronco

Damn, wish my Bronco was done, I have a 44" rear-mounted grader blade all ready for it once I finish the thing.

bowtiebutler956

Man, you northern folks get to have all the fun. :banghead: There are'nt any wheel horses down here in deep south texas for me to go work and play with. :dunno: Sounds like a great time.