Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Oil Rub-Down Questions

grnlark

Hey NIck, wait until Wed night when you see it in person....I'd highly recommend just a 3M cleaner wax and a good Carnuba after that. The paint is pretty nice already. No need to make a garden salad on the hood of this one. :handgestures-thumbup:

And I still don't get the whole oil bit. Maybe it's just me. Even the most weathered car - would you oil down the fenders and quarters before going to a show? Just very odd to me. Looks like it gave birth or something.

But I suppose if it's a look you like, why not at least spring for a new quart of 10w-30 vs. grinding sediment and dirt from used oil into the paint that's actually left on the tractor? Just seems a little counter productive to me. Oh well, to each his own I guess. :)

71_Bronco

Sounds great to me Matt, I am so anxious LOL.

Probably won't use "oil", but I will do something to protect the paint & patina while preventing any further break-down.

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh: OK I see we sterd up a hornets nest. I pulled out the 857 yesterday to start puting back to gether un painted and I will take pictures of before and after. I will only use compund on the paint to bring out the color. So I will post when done T/Care Gary B.................

TT

Here's another option...... steel wool & soapy water (or a Brillo pad) followed by clear spray paint.

Before:

8763.jpg

After:

876twelve.jpg

876four.jpg

• Like 1

CTPATRIOT

You guys should look into waxoil!

Ken B

I was at the Big Show a few yrs. ago with my 9 yr. old son Cole. He sat on (someones) oiled up RJ. He made a mess of himself. He wound up with it on his face, in his hair and all over his clothes. He didn't mind the oil all over him but he couldn't bear the smell of that used oil! LOL! Had to take him to the showers. I prefer Butchers Wax.

Kelly

When I WD 40 a tractor I put it on some what heavy and let it set for a few min. after rubbing it in good then I take clean rag and polish off all the excess oil, so it only has the look, not a oily mess, you can touch my oiled tractors and not get oil on you.

Some of these tractor I think look great as they are, you can never make it orig. again, and most you can not Wax ! the paint is not that nice, but oiled down it brings out the color and protects them, and you don't have to spend a hour cleaning it like a nice shinny tractor, I have both here, I know.

71_Bronco

When I WD 40 a tractor I put it on some what heavy and let it set for a few min. after rubbing it in good then I take clean rag and polish off all the excess oil, so it only has the look, not a oily mess, you can touch my oiled tractors and not get oil on you.

Some of these tractor I think look great as they are, you can never make it orig. again, and most you can not Wax ! the paint is not that nice, but oiled down it brings out the color and protects them, and you don't have to spend a hour cleaning it like a nice shinny tractor, I have both here, I know.

This is what I would do if I went that route. Soak, then let it sit, then wipe off excess oil. I thought this was the practice, but I guess some people like to leave the tractors oily from what I am hearing.

sscotsman

Here's another option...... steel wool & soapy water (or a Brillo pad) followed by clear spray paint.

Reading this thread, I have been a little iffy on the whole oil thing..but *that* I like! :techie-eureka::handgestures-thumbup:

Did you use a satin or gloss clear?

Scot

Suburban 550

I totally agree with Kelly, WD 40 is the best. No oily mess, protects and brings out the color. And most of all, don't try to wax a rusty tractor.

TT

Did you use a satin or gloss clear?

Gloss

sscotsman

Thanks Terry!

I think I might try that in the spring..

Scot

stevebo

Okay- I may consider using clean oil :ychain:

tommybro

I have to add my 2 cents to this thread, I have never used this method on a tractor but have used it on several cranes to make them look nice.

First to clean grease and bring some life back to the paint I spray everything with WD40 or something like that whatever is handy and let it sit for about 5 min. Wipe off.

Second mix simple green 1 part to 3 parts water, spray everything to help clean off the oily residue from the WD40, and wipe good. After it dries buff the simple green with a dry cloth, like an old t-shirt ( needs to be very dry or it will have hazy spots )

That should make the tractor shine, if you want to add some wax to protect get something like Lucas slickmist, nice part about this wax is you can use it on everything, it does not discolor hoses, seats etc.

I hope this helps.

Ken B

Make sure its Penzoil straight 30. :ychain:

71_Bronco

Make sure its Penzoil straight 30. :ychain:

Oh come on, if he's "makin' salad dressing", its gotta at least be extra virgin

:ychain: :ychain:

71_Bronco

Matt, Was a pleasure seeing you again, Really gonna enjoy the new toys.

And for the rest of you, the new toy will be revealed tomorrow night. To freakin' cold out now to go take pictures.

sscotsman

Im torn..

I like the oil or WD40 idea..and I also really like Terry's "steel wool and clear coat" idea..

Im going to try *one* of them in the spring..but im not sure which one yet.

Opinions please..which method do you think would be better for a tractor in this condition?

1180177487_7ysvh-O.jpg

1180177496_F34rW-O.jpg

Scots-854-0015.jpg

in those photos it hadnt been washed yet..its now cleaner, but everything else is the same..

eventually I plan to tear down and fully restore this tractor, but probably not for a few years yet..

(I expect to get laid off this spring..no fun hobby expenses for awhile when that happens..)

So just a general clean up will be done for now, as discussed in this thread..

thanks,

Scot

71_Bronco

Scot,

If you plan on leaving it like that for a few years, I would suggest TT's steel wool and clear spray paint. Reason being is that I don't know how long the "oil rub" lasts for, and it would be kind-of a pain to have to do it a few times. Also, I don't know what any long-term effects may be of the oil-rub.

Maybe some others can chime in

TT

On a tractor that will eventually get painted, I'm not so sure WD-40 (or oil) is a really good idea unless you're up for some good cleaning when that time comes.

I remember a "bad kid" sneaking into the paint booth at school and rubbing some WD-40 on a car just before one of the other kids was going to paint it. If you've never seen "fisheyes" in paint, that's a great way to make them appear! :handgestures-thumbup:

If you are positive that you'll be able to get it out of all of the cracks & crevices, then go for it. Otherwise, mask off what you need to and lay on the clear.

stevebo

Paint the rims and seat. Then paint the tires with miller's tire paint. Then oil it up. YOu will love the look and it will preserve that machine and it will look sharp when done I am sure of it!

ps- That costs about $30 total !.

Raider12

My method of madness won't add any kind of rust protection per say, but after a good wash and dry. I sometimes will coat the tractor with the spay called "Tire Shine" made to shine up the tires. I do not get this on the seat or steering wheel but man does it make a tractor look like a new penny! It will look like you polished for hours. :)

Monkalunka

I do have to say that I have not been in the Horse business that long but I did get some advise from the fellas around the square. Currently I have no plans on losing that patina red so the application of WD-40 with a following wipe down does a great job. I do have to say that this is only my opinion and all the other options sound great.

sscotsman

thanks all..

I will make a new post for the cleanup of the 854 in the Spring! :)

(I will probably go with the clearcoat..makes more sense to me than the oil, for my situation)

Scot

AMC RULES

Compound and wax that oxidation away.

wheelhorsinaround295.jpg

Believe me, this is what you'll find under there. :eusa-think:

Forget the oil, all this takes is a little bit of elbow grease. :icecream:

• Like 1