Sign in to follow this  
droptopcop

rj35 pulley question

droptopcop

hello, i noticed on my rj35 that the drive pulley was smaller diameter than others from pics i have looked at and at first i thought no big deal it will have more speed and less pulling power, but now i've run it some i see my pulley has an offset outward to it and i don't like the belt alignment, so i would like to find an original type pulley, is there anything available that i could buy to look like original? or where would be a good place to look, also i think mines an early 1955 is there a standard diameter, i checked some other posts and it looks like there may some different opinions on this. heres a pic of mine. thanks bob.

post-5718-0-89374300-1324951266_thumb.jp

droptopcop

2nd pic

post-5718-0-20963900-1324951620_thumb.jp

stevebo

Bob,

From what I have seen on mine and in speaking with others here there were more than one size pulley. I want to say 5,6 and 7 inch but not sure. I will have to measure mine and see what sizes they have. As far as where to find them I am not sure?

droptopcop

well i guess i am more concerned with the offset to get the alignment right, maybe i'll check my local lawn mower shops or possibly machine shop supply?

stevebo

What are you looking to accomplish and why change yours?

droptopcop

if you look at the pulley i have its offset outward and the belt alignment is not correct, it works i guess i just thought it could be better with the belt straight

WHRNaddict

I had to redo the one on my 56. Went to Tractor Supply and got the 6" pulley and the correct shaft insert, had the insert modified at the local machine shop to match the original, then welded the insert into the pulley. Looks just like the original. If u don't have the original, do a dry fit lining up the pulley's to determine how much the insert needs to be cut down. Hope this helps.

rj35hunter

Bob, on your earlier 55 RJ (Like most of mine) it should be a 7" pulley. Most of the first year in 55 was, then in later 55 into 56 they mostly went to the 6" pulley. The 6" will work, but I think the 7" is more correct for your model. Out of my collection, I have 5 original 55 models with the 7" pulley. I dug up some pics of the 55's that I hope helps show the pulley and how it lines up. I use the gates truflex style "A" belts & seem to work good. They are a 20" long belt from engine to variable speed pulley & 37" long from variable speed pulley to rear 7"drive pulley.

6579681409_45a538a301_z.jpg

6579681297_85435cc5ce_z.jpg

6579681097_fe8091a640.jpg

6579680949_6c53f4a070_z.jpg

6579681063_bac57639ea_z.jpg

Clay

stevebo

look here for more pics.

droptopcop

thanks for the pics, thats what i needed. bob.