Sign in to follow this  
jbumgarner

Relocating to Illinois

jbumgarner

Well, you may have seen me mention that I have plans to join you mid-western guys by moving to Illinois. I was waiting until I had a job offer and one came in this morning. I little further south than I had anticipated, but its still a lot closer to friends and family than I am now in NC. I have lived in the south my entire life and this is going to be a huge change. I was hoping someone could give me some advise or if anyone has any information on the Flora, IL area. It is extremely rural which is a good thing, however I am used to living near cities with many thousands of people not a city of 5000 in the middle of the corn fields. If anyone lives in or near the area and has some advise let me know, before I make the 1000 mile move. I haven't accepted the job yet, a little negotiation will be needed before accepting so if anyone has reasons I wouldn't want to live in Flora, let me know that as well. Thanks

:thumbs2:

Don1977

I've only been in Illinois twice, Great Lakes Naval Training Station and across the street

at Electronics School. That was in the 60's, so I can't help you, and haven't been back.

daemon2525

I was born and raised in Lawrenceville IL. PM me if you want to talk.

stevasaurus

Jeff, you are about 32 miles south of Effingham, and 26 miles east of Salem. I think it is a very nice spot in Illinois. You will be about 5 hours south of me in Elgin, but not to far from a few members here on Red Square. With that said, you will have access to more WH shows and swaps meets then you are used to. The fishing is very good down that way, though you will have to travel a little to get to places like Shelbyville, Rend Lake, Newton Lake (muskies)...not to far from the Walbash river on the Indiana/Illinois border. The winters will be a little milder then what I experience up here by Chicago, but more snow than you are probably used to in SC. Expect hot and humid weather in the summer. South of you is some of the best scenery in Illinois...bluffs, and forests. It is probably about 2 hours to St. Louis and the Mississippi...hope you like Budweiser or Pabst. :wh: You will get some ice on the lakes, but I don't think it will be safe enough to ice fish like up where I am. Springs and falls are spectacular....not sure what you like or are looking for here. Hope that helps a little. :dunno: Welcome to Illinois.