Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Wheel Horse Key Chains?? (5 pictures)

mowerman1193

Ok I made these key chains today. I am trying to decide if I should fill the cut out logo with red inlay plastic resin. I think it would be cool if I could do the horse red and the tire black, but I cannot justify buying the material for black as I doubt I would use it for any other projects before it went bad. This stuff is $40 for a 8oz can..I did find a slightly cheaper source but still not much cheaper and I might loose quality by doing so.

So my question is, do you all think I should fill it with only red or leave it the way it is?

The horse is cut out of 1/8" Oak and then glued to a 1/8" Walnut for strength and looks cool with the contrasting wood colors. I hate to ruin it if the red looks bad but I might just have to try it on one of them. Hoping for some feedback before I do it though..

I will post a couple pictures of projects I did with the red inlay to help give you an idea of how the stuff looks.. One project is another keychain and the other is a key rack that I made my son for his B-day..

DSC03365.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

DSC03287.jpg

Thank you for your opinions,

Kevin

neil

looks great with the red inlay

ide like 4 of those

how much are they

Sparky

I think the red inlay would look better. So when they are done they're 1/4" thick right?

Mike.........

mowerman1193

They would be $8 ea. plus $2 shipping. Will combine shipping and can ship several for the same $2. I do think the inlay is better as they are completely smooth then. Without the inlay the edges of the cutout could snag onto something and possibly break the fragile line between the horse and the wheel. Being a woodworker I like the natural look of the wood but also like the red for the horse..

Mike, yes they are 1/4" thick and about 2 3/8" long 1 1/4" wide.

I will make a couple more today and fill them with the inlay and get some pictures.

Thanks for your opinions,

Kevin

wingrider

Kevin

I use too do some pen turning a few years ago and I used a material called

pick guard that is used on the front of guitars. I would laminate it with other

materials to build a square that turned into a ink pen. You can get it in any

thicknes, any color and it comes in sheets about 12 by 18" it is reasonably

price, I don't know if this would work for your projects just thought I'd tell

you about it.

If you are interested let me know and I'll get you the address for you, I think

it came from Ohio ????

wingrider

Redbirdman

Sorry, I have no opinion on the plastic part.

However, That oak and black walnut version would make a super set of pistol grips!

Real nice craftsmanship......ahhh, I mean Wheelsmanship :thumbs:

ed

mowerman1193

Kevin

I use too do some pen turning a few years ago and I used a material called

pick guard that is used on the front of guitars. I would laminate it with other

materials to build a square that turned into a ink pen. You can get it in any

thicknes, any color and it comes in sheets about 12 by 18" it is reasonably

price, I don't know if this would work for your projects just thought I'd tell

you about it.

If you are interested let me know and I'll get you the address for you, I think

it came from Ohio ????

wingrider

Thanks for the information, I will have to check into that..

Thank you Ed, for the nice comments, Those two wood colors have always been my favorite wood to work with..I have worked with a lot of the exotic woods too and some are real nice but hard cutting..

Kevin

mowerman1193

Ok, I talked myself into buying some black inlay material, considering I contacted the company and buying it direct saves quite a little money. Waiting on the shipment now. I will be making these with both colors ( ie red horse and black wheel. )..Going to have to bump up the price to $9 as with doing the two colors adds another step as I will have to do one color and let it dry then do the next color. But I think it will look much better this way..

Any interest? Also any interest in doing a Wheel Horse Key Rack like the Dodge one in the photos above with the red & black inlay and gold colored hooks? Might do a few of those if there is some interest..

Kevin

jdpuller

I'd be in for two key chains and might be interested in a key rack. where do we send the money paypal ok?

:thumbs:

mowerman1193

I'd be in for two key chains and might be interested in a key rack. where do we send the money paypal ok?

:thumbs:

Yes it would be PayPal BUT, I am not yet taking money..just trying to figure out about how many I will need to make at this point. Probably going to be another week or so before I will have any made..

Thank you,

Kevin

racinfool40

I'd be interested in a key rack!!! Keep us posted.. :thumbs:

Confused99

I would take one.

HorseFixer

Looks good! :thumbs: I like the Red Inlay, And would like to see how the Key Rack looks! :thumbs:

neil

id like a few to be sent to uk

and a key rack

mowerman1193

I will try to get some of these made up and have some ready for selling in the next couple weeks..

Thanks,

Kevin

varosd

They look great!..If you display them at any WH show..people will gobble them up!

squonk

2 guys from Upstate NY are interested! My 704 has no key but what the heck! :thumbs:

n1defan

You can put me down for two. :thumbs:

Coadster32

I think it looks good the way it is. I guess the only way to know if it looks better is to try one out. Good luck. :thumbs:

mowerman1193

Well I finally got 10 of these made. Sure is a slow process doing the two colors. One I made the colors got mixed and I have some black in the red, LOL. Guess that one will have to be mine, LOL. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow if the finish gets dried out. Probably be ready to ship these out Monday.

Kevin

neil

I will have two

shipped to united kingdom

how do i pay

Neil

n1defan

:thumbs: I would like two also. :thumbs: Are you going to be putting them on your web site for sale? I went and checked your sight out the other day, and I have to say you do very nice work on all of your stuff. I cant wait to see what the key chains look like in color. I bet they will be AWESOME. Thanks Tom :thumbs: :thumbs:

mowerman1193

Neil, I will send you a PM when they are ready for shipping on how to pay etc. Lets get the pictures up here first to make sure you all will like them with the inlay colors. I think you will though :thumbs:

Tom, I will probably just list them here in the classifieds from time to time like I did with the desk clocks, Christmas ornaments, and the portraits. Since they are Wheel Horse specific. I am not sure how many from here actually go to my store to look on a regular basis. Probably get better views right here. :thumbs: Thanks for the nice comments about the stuff in my store.

Thanks,

Kevin

mowerman1193

Here is a couple pictures of then finished keychains.. Not perfect but not bad for hand made..What do you think of the red & black inlay? Are they better than the ones without the inlay?

One thing I noticed is the inlay resin gets into the pours of the wood and some of the edges of the cutouts have a little inlay in them. Its not real bad and you do not notice it from a short distance but if you look close the edges are not real crisp. Not sure if it will show up in the photo or not. Here is the pictures anyway. Also a link to my photobucket to get a higher def larger picture.

The next batch I make will be of different wood to see if the inlay doesn't get into the woods pours as bad..

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt280/m...ts/DSC03378.jpg

DSC03378.jpg

DSC03377.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

squonk

I think they look great! :thumbs: I know I will want 2 chains and 2 racks! :thumbs: :thumbs: