Sign in to follow this  
btrrg1969

watch for scams

btrrg1969

I recently posted that I was looking for a set of 6" logo hub caps , this guy contacts me from the United Kingdom (Scott Milner) and says he has a set of perfect caps and wants to know my complete shipping address . I answer by asking him to send me some pictures , he couldnt and kept telling me he needed my address , I looked him up as a member on this forum and couldn't find him and again ask for some pictures , like I thought this guy is a scammer . I thought I would pass it on and hopefully no one is taken in by him.

SAM58

Good to know... :thumbs:

:D :D

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I recently posted that I was looking for a set of 6" logo hub caps , this guy contacts me from the United Kingdom (Scott Milner) and says he has a set of perfect caps and wants to know my complete shipping address . I answer by asking him to send me some pictures , he couldnt and kept telling me he needed my address , I looked him up as a member on this forum and couldn't find him and again ask for some pictures , like I thought this guy is a scammer . I thought I would pass it on and hopefully no one is taken in by him.

He got your email address from your listing. It's best not to include that. Just ask for a personal message so at least you know it's a member. I'd remove your full name from your signature too.

Also, I noticed a lot of people announcing where and when they are going to different shows. With some searching of posts unscrupulous people can find out your name and/or address and visit your house when they know you're away.

VinsRJ

He got your email address from your listing. It's best not to include that. Just ask for a personal message so at least you know it's a member. I'd remove your full name from your signature too.

Also, I noticed a lot of people announcing where and when they are going to different shows. With some searching of posts unscrupulous people can find out your name and/or address and visit your house when they know you're away.

Been beating this drum forever. Good advice.

Roger from southern Iowa

:thumbs:

wallfish

Thanks for the tip.

I HATE the scammers!

If they put as much effort into legitimate things as they do into ripping people off, they would probably be successful.

Butch

There are a lot of scams and scammers out there. But you can never ever be bullet proof. One of the biggest scams is the obituaries. It's not that the obits are the scams, it's that they advertise where a lot of family members will be on a given day at a given time.

rickv1957

Thanks for the tip.

I HATE the scammers!

If they put as much effort into legitimate things as they do into ripping people off, they would probably be successful.

Well said John! :thumbs: Rick

rustynut

well i must say i may be a dumb redneck but im not to stupid. lol if that makes sence.

thanks for the advice

linen beige

Been beating this drum forever. Good advice.

:thumbs::D:D

I've given up warning folks about publicly posting their phone numbers, Email addresses, vehicle license plates (in photos), etc.

Folks... DON"T FORGET! There are over THREE THOUSAND registered members on this board alone. There has to be a few bad ones in the mix, not to mention that unknown guest viewers can read everything posted.

Horse'n Around

Thank you for posting this and for all the replies. I too have thought about this kind of stuff and the dangers that can be present, it it good to hear of more ways to protect ones self from these criminals. No matter how hard you you try to think of ways to protect yourself, you can never think of them all by yourself, with all our heads put together its much easier. I remember when I was selling my 5th wheel ( I wouldnt be able to haul it with my little Mazda B3000 too well :D ) on Craigslist, it seemed like I had more replies offering to list it elsewhere among other very suspicious inquiries and they wanted my info than I did looking to buy it. I made a point to never reply to any of them and I reported them to CL just to be safe. Thanks again for the post, its good that we all look our for one another :D

John

Still stuck in Arizona :thumbs:

hcminis

Same guy sent me an email about my Project 401 parts needed. Saw he was from the U.K. and didn't respond. Will not post any info EVER again.

Thanks

golfmike304

:D I had been looking for a vehicle on CL. and found some that seemed a little under priced. contacted them through email. they never would give me a phone number and continued to want my full address.

So is there something they can get with my full mailing address? I guess if I really think about it there is a lot they can do with my full address.

Thanks for the post, it makes me realize that even in a trusted site I still need to be cautious. I like to think of everyone in RS as very decent people and smart too. cause they have bought one of the best machines out there.

Thanks for this site for the wealth of information. :thumbs:

GlenPettit

(1) Information available with your address or phone: almost anything. Take a look at www.Spokeo.com - it's free, type in almost anybodies name you know anywhere; quick to find their address, phone, the ages & names of all family members, value of house, often even their employment/income, etc. . . .

(2) Just got one of those "help, in London, wallet/cell stolen, need $1900 fast, Western Union", even had my nephews correct home address, (almost) exact eMail & age, I didn't fall for it, but somehow my worried brother did & sent money without checking or confirming with his own son (who lives 1,000 mi away in Utah). My brother did send & lose $500, no way to get it back.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I would also suggest not putting your birthday in your profile or the year of birth as part of your user name. No point in making it easy for them. I cringe every time I see the birthday announcements.

linen beige

A pic with your vehicle license plate # in it can give someone your name, date of birth, social security number, address, spouses name and identifying info, and more. That's all they need to steal your identity and ruin your financial life.

mowerman1193

A pic with your vehicle license plate # in it can give someone your name, date of birth, social security number, address, spouses name and identifying info, and more. That's all they need to steal your identity and ruin your financial life.

If that's the case then I am going out right now and taking my plate off my truck..No sense driving to town and having some idiot steel my I.D. cause he seen my plate.... :D:thanks::thumbs:

But officer I really did take my plate off because I didn't want no one to get my numbers, LOL

No really you can't be too careful online or anywhere for that matter..Guess that is why I don't get on any of these social networks ( Facebook etc ). Wife has a friend that gets on there and has pictures of my wife and I on her page and that ticks me off..because I don't know who all she is allowing to be on her page..

Now call me old fashion if you'd like.., but I am always trying to be on the look-out :D

Kevin

linen beige

If that's the case then I am going out right now and taking my plate off my truck..No sense driving to town and having some idiot steel my I.D. cause he seen my plate.... :):wh::)

But officer I really did take my plate off because I didn't want no one to get my numbers, LOL

That's actually one of the most common sources that ID thieves use to gather the info they need to ply their craft.

Funny you should use the "But officer" line. I've had that very line used on me. He got a ticket anyway, :USA: and the judge didn't believe him either. :)

btrrg1969

Very good advise , and I applied it , I went back and modified some of my profile. :)