Tractorman1

Kholer 10 hp not getting fule

Tractorman1

I have 2 310-8 that currently do not run. They both start on starting fluid but die soon after. The first one ran about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. When I started working on it again about 2 months ago i did a once over and was getting spark and compression but no fuel. I tried a new fuel pump but that did not work. I pumped the original one by hand and it moves fuel with ease. The second tractor i got about a month and a half ago and it ran perfect when I got it. last started it up about 3 weeks ago and fired first try. But today when I went to start it it cranked but did nothing. I used some starting fluid and it fired but quickly died. I have yet to try and pump this fuel pump by hand to see if its the problem. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this and how i could go about testing it. I would love to get at least one running before the winter so I can use it to move some snow.

Jeff-C175

You might need to clean out the carburetors.

• Like 3

ineedanother

Follow the fuel from the source. If it makes it to pump, does it pump fuel to the the carb? If it pumps fuel to the carb, does it fill the bowl? If it fills the bowl, look at the main jet and consider a rebuild of the carb.

• Like 5

8ntruck

What kind of fuel are you using?  If you are using regular pump fuel, it contains a percentage of alcohol.  When stored for a an extended time, the alcohol will absorb water and precipitate out of the fuel, which might gunk up the fuel system.

The fix for this is to open up the carb and clean it out.

953 nut

:WRS:                                            :text-yeahthat:

Ethanol has killed more garden tractors than you can shake a stick at. To find the nearest gas station that sells ethanol free gas use this site.

https://www.pure-gas.org/.

I would suggest you replace the fuel lines and add fuel filters to both of the 310s and go through the carburetors. Kits for the carbs run about $ 5.00 on :techie-ebay:

• Like 1

Pullstart

If you pull the air cleaner off the carb, you could try covering the carb with your palm and crank the engine over for a few moments.  It MIGHT pull the blockage through as it builds a pretty solid vacuum with the piston.

At about 5:45 I explained this in the video.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lagersolut

Just a friendly FWI - I never use ether starting fluid my engines  - very volatile dry and has no lubricating qualities - better option is choke and carb/throttle body cleaner …. ether can give you new problems . I’ve been using the latter for 30 years if a tractor is sitting awhile/cold needs a boost . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ineedanother
19 minutes ago, Lagersolut said:

Just a friendly FWI - I never use ether starting fluid my engines  - very volatile dry and has no lubricating qualities - better option is choke and carb/throttle body cleaner …. ether can give you new problems . I’ve been using the latter for 30 years if a tractor is sitting awhile/cold needs a boost . 

Agreed, and more so in diesels and two strokes...I'm not totally opposed to using ether in a Kohler but not repeatedly if it doesn't start.

• Like 1

DZG

Could be the float sticking in the carb, not allowing fuel into the carburator.

Might be a dumb question but it doesnt have a fuel shutoff you might of accidently shut off? Or forgot you shut off? Lol ive done that before.

subvet720

My 310-8 Kohler had very similar symptoms. The school band used it to tow thing for a few months a year, then put it away for 9 months without doing and maintenance. When I got it, the first thing I did was rebuild the carburetor (including using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carburetor body), flush the fuel tank, replace the fuel lines, add an inline fuel filter and start using non-ethanol gasoline. I eventually replaced the fuel pump, and she runs like a top now. If you replace the fuel pump and didn't already dispose on the original aluminum fuel pump, don't. Just rebuild the original fuel pump as the new plastic versions are kind of like consumable parts. I always keep an extra sitting around and wish I kept the aluminum one.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:         I have gone to electric pumps on most of my herd and love the results. Even if they sit for a couple weeks they start right up with the electric pumps.

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, subvet720 said:

new plastic versions

When did Kohler switch to the plastic fuel pumps?  I've got a 1980 K301 that has a white plastic pump which appears to be original to the engine.

subvet720
On 9/22/2022 at 10:38 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

When did Kohler switch to the plastic fuel pumps?  I've got a 1980 K301 that has a white plastic pump which appears to be original to the engine.

I don't know when they made the switch, but they are plastic now. When I replace the first one on my 1986 310-8, I did not have the foresight to keep the original aluminum one. If I ever come across another at a reasonable price, I will get it, but a few rebuild kits (diaphragms, because that is the only thing that really wears out). The plastic ones are OK, and it takes five minutes to swap one out, so I keep a spare in my toolbox.

subvet720
On 9/22/2022 at 7:09 AM, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:         I have gone to electric pumps on most of my herd and love the results. Even if they sit for a couple weeks they start right up with the electric pumps.

I have given though to using an electric pump, just have not made the leap yet :)

• Like 1