Snoopy11

Cub Cadet 1320... worth my time?

Snoopy11

Hello my good people,

SO... here in Southern Indiana I noticed a particular machine which is being auctioned. There aren't any bids yet on it... and I think I could get it for a song... but I just wonder if it is worth it? Here's the description...

Cub Cadet 1320 Riding Lawn Mower -Kohler 12.5hp Engine, 38inch Deck, Needs New Battery, Hydro Not Working,

img.axd?id=7284184494&wid=4326159703&rwl=False&p=&ext=&w=639&h=480&t=&lp=TH&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=uup8rruc7KRxljmDqSJ7ZgxSDxlRQMhuyKcwNh0Q9Y8%3d

img.axd?id=7284184592&wid=4326159703&rwl=False&p=&ext=&w=639&h=480&t=&lp=TH&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=FUkRK6gWqVLHCPK8wORZdqqUYMNfpmmjIHZ1u9ET%2bg4%3d

Okay, okay... I know it's not red. BUT... to make up for it... I should be getting something red from @Evguy in a couple of weeks anyway... :lol:

The guy who is selling thus CUB it says that it burns up drive belts on the hydro... but there is a video of the engine running, so it seems good. I do kinda like the way this machine looks, it appears to be in pretty neat shape.

If I did end up with this machine... I would 'probably' repair and sell it if possible.

What do you guys think... should I go for it or run from it...? :eusa-think:

Thanks,

Don

oldredrider

I picked up a model 1330 several years ago for cheap. Went thru it and got it running well. Hydro is strong. 

Went to sell it and wife said "no"! She wanted to keep it because it came with the bagger set up. Told her we would keep it if she used it...and she does!

Gotta say it does a good job. Does pretty well for a 29 year old MTD.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

sjoemie himself

Don't know anything about hydro's. If it burns up belts that would indicate something is jammed. Could be something simple but still a bit of a gamble.

Depends on the price if I would take the gamble or not.. :eusa-think:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

With the auction house saying “Hydro Not Working”  it’s worth what you can sell a running used motor for. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself  agree with you on that , something jammed , related bearing not moving , sloppy related linkage etc.  needs a thorough look at function , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

With the auction house saying “Hydro Not Working”  it’s worth what you can sell a running used motor for. 

Yessir, that's what I was thinking.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I very well may end up with it.

Don

T-Mo

Engine is a Kohler Command.  They were good little lawn tractors, competed well against the competition.  There are a lot of manuals on the mtd/cc site to be downloaded for free.

• Excellent 1

953 nut
45 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Kohler Command.

Yes, but it is a vertical shaft engine, don't know how much demand there is for them.

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Yes, but it is a vertical shaft engine, don't know how much demand there is for them.

I don't either... but I wouldn't mind having it around.

Hydro on this tractor is model 717-3048... for future thread viewers (model of the transmission is a little hard to find on the interwebs)...

Worst came to worst, I would consider swapping for a Tuff Torq just to keep the old girl kickin'...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

T-Mo

The vertical shaft Kohler Commands are used in a lot of lawn tractors and zero turns.  They are a good engine, that same engine will go into several lawn tractors and maybe a few garden tractors.  Good engine.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
On 9/12/2022 at 5:02 AM, T-Mo said:

They are a good engine, that same engine will go into several lawn tractors and maybe a few garden tractors.  Good engine.

I agree. That is a very good engine. But, on that note... I wanted to update this thread.

I did some in-depth reading on the cub cadet 1320... and have read some VERY negative things about it. People indicate that this machine is not worth my time. It is not the quality of other Cub Cadet models, rather... this is considered the worst model ever from cub cadet... complete throw-away model. Some of the things said about this model:

• The 1320 is a "lawn tractor" and as such does not compare with the "garden tractors" also available that may appear similar to the uneducated onlooker.
  • NOT ALL CUBS ARE CREATED EQUAL. opinion: I have had 1320/1420.They are as cheap as it gets and be called a rider...
  • it's a 30 yr old machine that was made cheap to begin with...There's a reason it was parked...New it was a decent/cheap mower... The real problem with cheapies,the fixing never ends...
  • the real story now is that they all have the same fatal disease -- the plastic reservoir that sits over the hydro unit was made believe it or not, out of material that slowly dissolves in the hydraulic fluid. Everyone I have looked at, had this issue and what happens is that fluid gets contaminated and ruins the hydro unit which is a one-way ticket...

With that said, although I am not necessarily happy about it...I am going to let this machine go.... waving bye-bye to it... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

I’d say yes cuz it looks to be in good shape 

• Confused 1

Snoopy11
29 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

I’d say yes cuz it looks to be in good shape 

Looks can be... and often are... very deceiving... :happy-smileyinthebox:

Don

The Freightliner Guy

I mean like the hood looks in good condition same with the fenders 

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

I mean like the hood looks in good condition same with the fenders 

Well, if you want it, they do give shipping quotes... :teasing-poke:

For Shipping Quotes Call:
ST Freight -Chris 949-689-0589
Oak Street Logistics -Mandy 319-465-7064'

:ROTF:

Don

• Confused 1

The Freightliner Guy

Nvm what do I know I’m just a stupid little kid anyways continue having a good day sir

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Nvm what do I know I’m just a stupid little kid anyways continue having a good day sir

Oh... nah bro... I just did a lot of reading on this machine. I thought it looked good too... just isn't a very good machine for me to invest in from my research... :eusa-think:

No problems here... I was just joking with you... hopefully no hard feelings... certainly not meant that way... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Heart 1

oldredrider

As a note, It's a lawn tractor. MTD, to my limited knowledge, doesn't make garden tractors. NOT defending them, "just the facts". It is what it is.

My 1330 Cub has held up incredibly well for what it is...surprised me. And I'm a garden tractor guy.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
48 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

My 1330 Cub has held up incredibly well for what it is...surprised me. And I'm a garden tractor guy.

But... I'm sure you've heard the horror stories. :lol:

I look at it this way. If the engine didn't work, but there was no reason to believe that the hydro didn't... I would be all in. :)

Don

oldredrider

" No guts, no glory" :lol:

• Haha 1

Snoopy11

Don't worry though guys... I have another machine coming later this month... and its in RED!!! :banana-dance:

BOOM shacka lacka... :banana-linedance:

Don

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

" No guts, no glory" :lol:

Well, I'm not opposed to someone swapping hydros in such a MTD to give it new glory... :)

Without knowing the history of the machine or anything about it... that'd might very well be what it would take to get it rolling again... but sometimes you got to know when to hold'em... know when to fold'em... know when to walk away... and when to run... :occasion-snowman:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Haha 1