elcamino/wheelhorse

110 V come a long ( winch )

elcamino/wheelhorse

Can anyone recommend a good 110 Volt come-a-long . My son has broken 2 of the units from Northern . Read a review on the unit and one comment was use for 15 minutes and had to wait an hour for it to cool down. I have a bunch of over grown shrubs that I want to pull up this fall. With the concrete soil I have a come a long would work better that my 416-8 . Don't want to tear up all the grass . Some places I can't get a tractor in.  I need something that I can hook to a logging chain that is wrapped around a tree. Thanks

formariz

Why not use a regular come along? Never seen one break and you are not dependent on electricity. 

• Like 2

squonk

Call a towing service. They can hook up a real winch and rip them out. I'm sure those 110 volt winches are being asked to do a lot more than they are rated for.

ri702bill

Most of those "Not made here nomore" units give you the option to either do a direct single strand pull (faster, full cable length, but more strain on the unit), or to "double strand"  like a come along with the supplied pulley ( you get half the speed, half the pulling distance, but 2X easier on the unit)

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
42 minutes ago, formariz said:

Why not use a regular come along? Never seen one break and you are not dependent on electricity. 

Auto immune disease causing problems with arm strength and old age. Why use muscles when you can push a button?

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have looked at a bunch of unit on flea bay , but was hoping some one could make a recommendation . Jungle site has bunch of stuff from Northern.

SylvanLakeWH
24 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Most of those "Not made here nomore" units give you the option to either do a direct single strand pull (faster, full cable length, but more strain on the unit), or to "double strand"  like a come along with the supplied pulley ( you get half the speed, half the pulling distance, but 2X easier on the unit)

:text-yeahthat:

Pulleys... They work great!

Elliot Garfinkel

Hi , I have two 110 winches the first one is the warn pullzall and the second one is some no name brand, they both work on light duty stuff but what your looking to do they won't hold up if they even work for your needs.I know they make one that looks like a chain saw and is a gas unit but have no knowledge of its performance and how they last