RITEK

What in the world is going on here

pacer

Yeah, run the engine at around 1500/2000 rpm (fast idle?) Course if you use the multimeter at the battery and it shows 13-14 DC then that also will tell you the rectifier is good. If you have that, then ..... well you'll have to revert back to all the stuff the guys have been describing....

Dont have a multimeter? then for sure GET one, HF has a small one for around $10, you really cant do much with wiring without one.

• Like 2

Kenneth R Cluley

When I run into a mess like that, I usually tear it all out and start from scratch with diagram as guide. Saves a lot of time and guessing.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

@RITEK

I've seen worse wiring... at least yours aren't just twisted together and taped!

But, what the heck is this?  I hope that's not part of a 'fix' ?

image.png.217ed647eb78747a737b522f9188d226.png

RITEK
23 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Download the Onan service manual and do the tests, but first be sure that the regulator is grounded with its mounting bolt and the engine is grounded well at the battery cable.

So I haven't tested yet but I have an update I just installed the new starter and the voltage is now in the 16v red zone not the 11v

RITEK

Just hooked up the multimeter and the gage on the tractor says 12.7 or 12.6 and multimeter says 11.5 without the tractor running

Handy Don

Tractor voltage meters are not always useful for fine measurement. I'd be more inclined to trust a good voltmeter (assuming if it is analog that it has been correctly zeroed before use).

Still, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here if you aren't going to do sequential diagnostic tests.

RITEK
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Tractor voltage meters are not always useful for fine measurement. I'd be more inclined to trust a good voltmeter (assuming if it is analog that it has been correctly zeroed before use).

Still, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here if you aren't going to do sequential diagnostic tests.

Well now the engine won't run and I have no spark and I realized this tractor has been re wired before and there are extra wires leading to numerous things

Handy Don
2 hours ago, RITEK said:

Well now the engine won't run and I have no spark and I realized this tractor has been re wired before and there are extra wires leading to numerous things

It can be frustrating but, as other above have mentioned, sometimes you gotta go backward (and remove unknown/untrusted wiring) before you can go forward successfully. Consider it a tactical move, not a retreat!