Velocityboy

520 HC grass cutting help needed

Handy Don
21 hours ago, peter lena said:

where a flail type set up , excels

image.png.ec74ce7b1e55364dce81bbcc2a997327.png

Yep, flails rock.

This is the flail I have on the camp 518-H++.

The “++” indicates my modifications and additions: Eaton 1100, swept axle, reduction steering, dual hydraulic remotes w/float, removable front lift, sliding seat, and rear-facing lighting

• Excellent 3

peter lena

@Handy Don  NICE ! where  did you get that ?  hook up , set up ? just put a bib on , pete

Handy Don
52 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Handy Don  NICE ! where  did you get that ?  hook up , set up ? just put a bib on , pete

Thanks.

The flail took over a year to find. It is a Haban originally made for a Bolens 10 which used a PTO shaft out the front of the tractor.

I designed and fabricated the lift and new flail attaching mounts, the hydraulic remote plumbing and layout, and the mods to drive the flail off the WH PTO.

The lift mechanism mounts to the front and mid-tractor attach-a-matics. The hydraulic cylinder moves the 2” trailer receiver at the top and at the bottom is a horizontally-oriented WH Attach-a-Matic. Two hydraulic quick connect hoses to the control valve supply the cylinder.

The flail mounts to the lift with just a 2” tube into the lift’s receiver and a crossbar on arms into the lift’s attach-a-matic plus the PTO belt.

The system does a good job on the one acre weed patch that is the “lawn” at the camp. Not a finish cut by any standard, but pretty smooth with the discharge pretty finely chopped. It is spectacular at clearing underbrush that has grown up on and along the logging roads.

Here you can see on the hoodstand the yellow joystick and black cables that operate the control valve that is on the left side ahead of the engine. The gold tubes are the supply to and return from the control valve. The original hydraulic lift (handling the Brinley sleeve hitch and grader blade here) remains functional via the usual lever on the lower left of the dash

image.png.1323df2a742662e38baf564b71c03db5.png

I do owe the forum a build thread on this thing. 🤭

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

@Handy Don   thank you for the details !  just your desire and want to do , says it all , can relate to , coming up with ideas to adaption . you done good  !  Pete

• Thanks 1

Bill D

@Handy Don I would love to see a build thread on that.  Especially the hydraulic mods.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
27 minutes ago, Bill D said:

@Handy Don I would love to see a build thread on that.  Especially the hydraulic mods.  

Guess I better move that up on my priority list 🤔

• Like 2